Fun in Jamaica?

I am considering 2 cruises right now for Feb '08 and one goes to Jamaica and one doesn't. Having read so many negatives about Jamaica, I'd appreciate any input you might have. What excursions do you think would be good for dds 6 and 8? The ship docks in Ocho Rios. TIA

There is a dolphin excursion in Ocho Rios that all kids love!! My 10 year old DS did it when he was 7, still talks about it-depending on how much you want to spend, you can simply touch a dolphin, swim with a dolphin, do a "dolphin experience" which is the most time with them (and most $$) or you can do a combo excursion with dolphins and the falls.

Dunn's River Falls is fun, but maybe a difficult one with small kids-there are also rafting excursions where you float down white river on a flat-bottomed raft with a guide-my son did that at 4. Very safe, not rough at all, the kids will love it.

You can also hire a guide to drive you to one of the nice all-inclusive hotels and buy a day pass for beach, swimming and shopping.

Have fun.:D

Thanks for all of the helpful advice. We are somewhat adventurous, but not stupid! Bec, we have not signed up for the meet and mingle but I think I will do that since it doesn't sound like it's going to be all adults. We're planning some other excursions too (I too am the ultimate planner!). If you'd like to try to coordinate something, email me at azheartnurse@comcast.net.

We are so excited, I can't imagine that anything could stand in the way of us having a great time. We have two cabins on deck 7, 7652 and 7654. Anyone have feedback on these locations?:)

I think my dh and I are going to try out the Couples resort for our stay in Ocho Rios. They will give you an all inclusive day pass for $75.00 each (just got an email about the price), for some reason, I thought it was cheaper if you were on a cruise. This includes all the food, drink and amenities. Sounds like a nice relaxing plan to me!!

We're considering doing one of the day passes at a resort in Jamaica too. In Cozumel, we are planning on taking the ferry over to Playa del Carmen, I am interested in purchasing a week at the new Royal Hacienda timeshare. We are going to do jet skis in Labadee and probably at least one of the snorkle trips along the way. We have done a dolphin swim before in Cancun - it was wonderful but not something I want to spend the money on again. We're also considering Dunn's Falls. Some of the private trips are getting really good reviews.

AZheartnurse, we just signed up the two of us for the meet and mingle, figuring that my daughter and friend can stop by if they want. Last cruise I had her and my son (19 years old and not coming this time) come with us and they were pretty mortified. They felt it was too forced (the truth is probably there weren't a lot of teens and it was awkward with adults there too).

Sounds like you have a great vacation planned! See you at the M & M!

Jamacia is truly beautiful. We have been there 4 times, 3 times to Ochio Rio and once to Montego Bay. We never, ever felt unsafe. We have 2 kids and the second time we were there we all cliombed the falls. I think they were about 7 & 9 and they loved it. Tons of fun. The Canopy Tour is the best thing I have ever done. We have done the one in Montego Bay and the one in Ochio Rio. Both were great but the one in Montego Bay was way better. Yes we were approached to buy drugs, just say no and continue on. Really not a big deal. I have two teens now and both have seen drugs right in their own high school and we live in a upper class suburb so drugs are everywhere. Don't miss this port, it really is nice.

Went to Ocho Rios last year. None of us cared anything about Dunn's River Falls (supposed to be a "must do"). We got a taxi at the pier - very organized and we felt safe. Went to Mohogany Bay and had a blast. It is a small, protected beach area. Tony, one of the workers there, offered us a boat ride/tour along the coast for $35/pp. We took it and had a great time. Passed by "the Falls" and watched people holding on to each other for dear life while trying to walk up the steps - not for us - be we did see them. Then he took us to a great snorkeling spot where we saw lots of fish. I would highly recommend this place. Not a huge beach, but not very crowded either. The taxi driver showed up promptly to take us back to the ship.

WOW! After reading some of the comments I really don't know if its safe to get off the ship. I heard great things about Ocho Rios and Dunn's River Falls was one of them. I too prefer a beach and sightseeing and plan to use the RC recommendations. Furthermore, if Jamaica is so bad why do cruise ships continue to go to these ports? Remember, no place is perfect and this ain't America and even America has places one feels unsafe in.

200705130500_101.gif

We have been on 3 land vacations in Jamaica and it is our favorite island! The people are so nice and friendly, the food is great and the lush countryside is beautiful! My husband did get asked to buy drugs once or twice, but he just says "no thanks" and they go away. We actually think it is very funny! We have gone into the "marketplaces" and "craft markets" and although we were always asked "just come and take a look", when we would leave, we would give them a smile and say "thank you very much" and they were never rude. And we spent a lot of time at these places, but never felt that anyone was rude. But we also showed a real interest in the people and their crafts and we always smiled at them. I love Jamaicans!

We are planning on hitting Margaritaville this time. We are afraid that the falls are too difficult for our 7 and 9 year olds. Maybe not, but we don't to make the commitment (and expense) and then find the kids don't want to do it.

Enjoy Jamaica, it truly is a wonderful place!

There is a dolphin excursion in Ocho Rios that all kids love!! My 10 year old DS did it when he was 7, still talks about it-depending on how much you want to spend, you can simply touch a dolphin, swim with a dolphin, do a "dolphin experience" which is the most time with them (and most $$) or you can do a combo excursion with dolphins and the falls.

Dunn's River Falls is fun, but maybe a difficult one with small kids-there are also rafting excursions where you float down white river on a flat-bottomed raft with a guide-my son did that at 4. Very safe, not rough at all, the kids will love it.

You can also hire a guide to drive you to one of the nice all-inclusive hotels and buy a day pass for beach, swimming and shopping.

Have fun.:D

Thanks for the information. We decided to do the other cruise, but will keep these ideas in mind for the future. :)

I really have the same opinion.....need to take Jamaica off the ports of call list. A really beautiful island, but not for me. Heard too many stories over the years, and definitely would not take any children ashore.

Dunn River Falls are too far, in my opinion, from Mo Bay. You would spend most of your time in a car/van. Instead, opt for YS Falls or MayField Falls which is Closer to MoBay. To do this, hire a private guide from cruise critic boards or go to Sunset beach resort on own or cab to Doctor Cove.

I have walked around with my family and been asked if we wanted drugs...my 2 kids were under 10 and the oldest was about 15. Not cool at all. So this time we are heading back in Oct, and I hired a tour guide. Read lots of posts and if you go with Orville Taylor, Peat Taylor, or Shaw or Trevor Hudgins then you should be fine. We are doing a wonderful tour with Trevor who will do as you wish. We are doing tubing, fern gully, tour of the area and then margaritta ville.

We had Trevor as our tour guide back in 2004 and he was wonderful. He took us where we wanted to go - the falls, shopping, drove us around, and at the falls, he even got us a plate of local fruits to try. It was a great day and Trevor did a great job! You can definitely feel safe being with Trevor or any of the recommended tour guides on this board! Just don't go grab a random taxi by yourself.

Archived