Cell Phones on board the Ship

GreggV

Gregg, it depends upon where you are. If you're in the middle of the ocean, there is no tower so cell phones are useless. If you are in port and your provider has service, then you can use your phone. I take my phone to make last minute calls before we sail and then when we return. Other than that, it's packed away.

Well, you can use them in port (in the US that is...) but once you get out to sea ( i think in Tampa it did not take long to lose service), being there are no cell phone towers out at sea, you lose service. You can check with your provider as to what they charge (and if they allow) usage in some of the ports...

Thanks all. I figured at sea with now towers for miles and miles service would be unavailable but wasn't sure about the ports. I know you can make a ship to shore call if needed but I believe it is costly.

GreggV,

It depends also on who your service provider is. I can use my cell phone at the following; Jamaica, Grand Caymans, Cozumel, San Juan, and basically anywhere in Mexico. Can't use in Belize or Rotan. Haven't tried it on any of the Eastern Caribbean cruises except in San Juan.

My service provider is Cingular. Another note. The service is sometimes irregular at those ports where I have service. And I can sometimes get thru when I get relatively close to those ports.

Check with your service provider and they can tell you what to expect.

Depending on your service provider, you may not be charged any extra fees. When we were in Cancun, I had perfect service and was not charged a roaming fee, while my friend didnt have service all all. So, it all depends on your service provider while you are on land.

I find it's handy to have my cell phone for calls on board before leaving...."Guess where I am right now? On the Lido deck with a foo foo drink, the band is playing..the sun is shining....." LOL

Also good for calls while in other U.S. ports. Never tried to use it outside the U.S. except in Vancouver B.C. where it worked fine.

Now I have a question...why can't they make FRS type radios that are like cell phones in the respect that other people can't hear BOTH sides of the conversation? I hate the walkie talkie thing onboard..it's so annoying..static and usually LOUD. But it sure would be handy to be able to call DH while on board ..."Where are you? Meet me in such a such place..."

Oh well, maybe someday it will happen.

GreggV,

It depends also on who your service provider is. I can use my cell phone at the following; Jamaica, Grand Caymans, Cozumel, San Juan, and basically anywhere in Mexico. Can't use in Belize or Rotan. Haven't tried it on any of the Eastern Caribbean cruises except in San Juan.

My service provider is Cingular. Another note. The service is sometimes irregular at those ports where I have service. And I can sometimes get thru when I get relatively close to those ports.

Check with your service provider and they can tell you what to expect.

:D Did you set it up with Cingular or just used it. Also, what types of charges were incurred? Thanks

Chriz,

Yes I did call Cingular and they set me up on International Roaming for the month of January only. When I use the phone outside of the US and in particular on this cruise route, Western Caribbean, the charge is $1.99 a minute except in Cozumel and it's .79 cents a minute. That's a bunch cheaper than the $9 or $10 bucks from the ship.

And your phone with Cingular must be new enough to have the 'gsm' system. Most of the new phones have that 'system' if that's what it's refered to. There is also a site that Cingular has that shows the coverage area out there but I don't remember the name of the site. They should be able to give it to you.

There is a web site that tells you more about the 'gsm; www.gsmworld.com and www.phonescoop.com

Good luck.

1156625204_Tiger1-31-04copy.jpg.35cbf6c48f03061f1520d44c293b5e9f.jpg

We used Cingular service in the Southern Caribbean last December. We had just upgraded phones about 2 months before we left and they said that it was a good thing because the older phone wouln't have worked within that band or range. Keep in mind that we purchased the older phone about 4 years ago so I would imagine anything newer would work. St. Lucia, Barbados and St. Marteen charged 1.99 a minute. We used Cingular in St. Thomas and they charged off of our normal plan. I would be real careful about using a service that is not an extended from your service provider, in particular using something out in the open sea (if you are even able to get a signal). Our provider said that they are some oil rigs that may have towers on them and if you use their service, it can be very expensive. Do not know if that is true or not, but I would be careful.

Jason

we've always taken our cell phones on cruises. we were able to use them in several ports, including puerto rico and st. thomas. it simply depends on the provider and whether or not there are towers. it will be interesting to see if we have service on the mexican riviera, our next cruise in a little over a week.

bp

Archived