Paradise-oh, did we have FUN!!

itzkaren

Hi CC Friends,

We sailed the Paradise May 1-5..there were 8 of us, four couples celebrating our anniversaries representing just about 100 years total of marriage!

I can honestly say that from start to finish.....our trip went off without a glitch! This is going to be a long review....and I'll try to cover the highlights......and remember the important "tips" I rec'd from all of you.

1) Drive to Long Beach - we left Sunday morning at 10am...2 vehicles, 4 in each car. Plenty of room for all of us and our luggage. Two quick stops on the way (In & Out Burger was one!) and we were in Long Beach by 4:30pm

2) Stayed at the Best Western Long Beach on Harbor Blvd. Got online reservations for $55 per night! Didn't quite know what to expect, and we were pleasantly surprised. Hotel staff was very friendly..even after a 6+ hour car ride......we were laughing and having a good time just while checking in. And the beds.....they had the "memory foam" top....the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.....who would have thought...at at Best Western?!? The hotel shuttle took us to the Rock Bottom Brewery restaurant....great place, nice menu choices, and of course, beer....I don't know a thing about "specific gravity," light or dark, etc...so I played it safe and had a Margarita!

3) Left Monday morning at 10:15am and drove to the pier, about a 10 minute drive. We decided to park at the pier and "enjoy" the convenience of having our car right there when we returned...and recognized the challenge of having 8 people w/luggage to fit into one shuttle! DH's dropped us off with the luggage and parked cars. We all went to the check-in at the Queen Mary....took about 20 minutes. We rec'd our Sail and Sign cards......our 3rd cruise.....so we got a "gold" card....First cruise for the other 3 couples. We also saw that we had 8pm dinner seating, and wanted early.....we were told to check with the Maitre D once onboard.

4) Security & Check-In: We waited with the groups...we were part of the first 100 on.....(11:15am) we all had carry-ons.....through xray machines....only one of us got stopped...she had a wheel-on ice chest....she's a water drinker...but also had a couple of wine coolers. Bye-bye, wine coolers! Just what does 'security' do with those wine coolers? lol

5) On the ship by noon (that was our goal!) Seemed lie we all just watned to go "check out our rooms" so off to the Riviera deck (aft) we went and found our rooms....and met our room steward, Arleigh.....we gave him $20....and asked him to take good care of us....we put our carry-ons in the room

6) Drinks with umbrellas: Now, this was an ongoing theme throughout our trip. In fact, we designated one of the DH to be the "keeper of the umbrellas" so we could get an official count after the cruise. I believe he's still counting:D Those "punchy little drinks" sure taste good.....and as soon as we realized we weren't 'paying' for them...we were just signing our names;) After a couple of drinks...we found the Lido buffet and all enjoyed a great lunch....we also started taking the first of many pictures to chronicle the wonderful time the parents were having without our beloved children!!

Continued on next post..........

Thanks, Astronomer........we had a great time! I see you're sailing the Pride soon.......we enjoyed a 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise in July 2004.......great ship.......LOTS to do....celebrated my son's high school graduation. He and friend had their own room down the hall.....DH and I, along with DD and niece had adjoining rooms. The boys had plenty of freedom.......yet I felt good about knowing they did have some "boundaries!"

Hope you have a great time too........and I do believe that a positive attitude has a lot to do with everything we do.........I always say at work, "Expect the unexpected, and you'll never be disappointed!"

Have fun planning your cruise.....and report back all the fun you had!

Itzkaren,

Saw your confiscated wine coolers at security! It was a great cruise, even if it was cloudy & overcast! We did regular(with fun pass) check in & wre on the ship just after noon. Already booked another Paradise Dec. 11th!

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that.

Just to make it a little easier for people reading this, here are the links to the continuing parts of itzkaren's review:

Part 2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=344354

Part 3

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=344356

Part 4

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=344357

Once again great job!

CJW

Hi everyone!

Thanks, Curt for "linking my links"......along with the 'challenging life jacket straps'....I have some limitations when it comes to certain computer moves!

And yes....I DID smile when I was writing this.....I think I might just re-visit it once in awhile to update my "good attitude!".......it's back to the real world and work this week! But you know....work seems just a little bit easier this week.....

Hey...I've got an idea....cruises should be mandatory and covered by employer's health insurance......wouldn't the world just be a much nicer place?! ;)

Have a great week everyone!

Hi everyone!

Hey...I've got an idea....cruises should be mandatory and covered by employer's health insurance......wouldn't the world just be a much nicer place?! ;)

Have a great week everyone!

Hey, works for me! :D

Thanks for the great review. I'm looking forward to our Paradise cruise next Monday - woohoo!! I do have to admit that ours will be a little more low-key than yours and we don't plan on having enough drink umbrellas when we return to make a mural on our dining room wall. ;)

Robin B.

There's a big pool, small pool on Verandah deck & kids pool.

Hi Victory

Did you have time to make it to the pool? Between Catalina and Ensenada, we didn't.....then at sea day seemed a little cool. I did see people enjoying the hot tub.

Maybe next time!!!! Do you think security has enjoyed our wine coolers yet? :p

Hi Victory

Did you have time to make it to the pool? Between Catalina and Ensenada, we didn't.....then at sea day seemed a little cool. I did see people enjoying the hot tub.

We thought it was too cold for pool - & even too cold for hot tub. We didn't even go to Catalina because of weather (been there 6 times). Glad you had a good time! Next time put wine coolers in plastic bottles!

I do believe that a positive attitude has a lot to do with everything we do.........I always say at work, "Expect the unexpected, and you'll never be disappointed!"

How refreshing to read of your wonderful cruise experience - mainly due to having the right attitude about things!

Your DH is a lucky, lucky man to be married to such a Beautiful woman!!!

How refreshing to read of your wonderful cruise experience - mainly due to having the right attitude about things!

Your DH is a lucky, lucky man to be married to such a Beautiful woman!!!

Blush-Blush....thank you, no-Wake for the very kind words. Just might need to remind DH how lucky he is with some plans for another cruise.....no date yet....but I hope soon!;) Thanks for making me smile!

I was pleasantly surprised just how warm our last sea day was on Thursday when we sailed on the Paradise April 10--14. I sat out on the deck enjoying the sun and listening to the upbeat reggae band for quite awhile. Gee, usually with every cruise I've sailed coming back from Mexico we've had cooler or overcast weather. It was always kind of a dreary day with nothing to do but pack. Not this time! It was PARADISE! :D

Hi Victory

Archived