Queen Victoria 2008

Emu

I think Cunard may have learned from the QM2 that the Grills pax need more than just separate restaurants a lounge and a tiny bit of public deck space. I don't know how long this has been up:

http://www.cunard.com/queenvictoria/QueenVictoriaTechnical.pdf

But looks like the Grill pax, in addition to their own deck, patio and lounge will have the Private Boxes and Private Lounge in the Royal Court Theatre....all the better to look down on the s******e pax!;)

I think its a good thing - if people pay more, why not get more!

Peter

QM2 is spending 2 months in the Caribbean at the end of 07....doubt she'll spend another 3 there at the start of 08......so what is she doing ?

It appears that the QM2 will remain in the Caribbean until April 2008.

10 night departures from New York on the following dates (2008): Jan 3, Jan 13, Jan 23, Feb 19, Feb 29, Mar 10 and Apr 6.

13 night departures from New York on the following dates (2008): Feb 2, Mar 24.

4 night departures from New York on the following dates (2008): Feb 15, Mar 20.

The 10 night itinerary includes Tortola, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Thomas.

The 13 night itinerary includes Costa Rica, Panama, Curacao, Bonaire, St. Lucia and St. Thomas.

The 4 night itinerary has one day spent in the Bahamas.

After the 10 night April 6 Caribbean sailing, I presume that she will resume transatlantic crossings.

Alan

It appears that the QM2 will remain in the Caribbean until April 2008. Alan

Thanks for posting Alan - must have just gone up on Cunard's web site as I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I checked yesterday.....

.....and in my future I forsee a QM2 Caribbean somewhere in late 2007/early 2008.....with this many there's bound to be discounting!:)

Though 5 months back-to-back in the Caribbean does seem rather unimaginative.......

Peter

Though 5 months back-to-back in the Caribbean does seem rather unimaginative.......

Especially as Carnival has TODAY lowered its earnings guidance based on:

"The company has reduced its outlook ...due to further weakness in bookings, principally for sailings in the Caribbean..."

See here:

http://*****.com/oyw76

Peter:eek:

PS Carnival stock at 10.15am ET down 9.5%.......

Peter,

Currently, only the US Cunard site has the 2008 QM2 sailings. This is unusual as it is more common to see the UK site updated earlier. Perhaps it is due to the fact that these sailings are all out of New York.

The news article that you posted concerning Carnival is interesting. However, it would be more interesting to see the profitability of sailing from New York city. NCL has been quite successful with year-round sailings, now with two ships. Holland America has placed the new Noordam out of New York for winter Caribbean sailings (it seems that Holland America wants nothing to do with the Caribbean during the summer months). Other lines have also shown interest.

However, the last time the QM2 sailed from New York to the Caribbean, this past November to mid-January, she was heavily discounted. We sailed the Dec 8-20 voyage, and had booked far in advance. When the 90 day final payment was due, the ship was only half full. After this time, she was discounted even more, resulting in much frustration for those of us who had booked using the "early booking discount" and receiving "past passenger discount".

Time will tell, we would love to sail her again from New York. One thing against her: she does not have the Caribbean "feel" that other ships have.

Five months of Caribbean for the QM2 out of NYC seems a bit long.

Alan

However, the last time the QM2 sailed from New York to the Caribbean, this past November to mid-January, she was heavily discounted.......Five months of Caribbean for the QM2 out of NYC seems a bit long.

Oh oh.....HAL (whose ships are probably better suited to the Caribbean) have just announced 'the most extensive program of any premium line in the Caribbean' for next year too - and as you say, their newest ship Queen Noordamia is on that run:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060515/sfm068.html?.v=53

Looks like there will be bargains to be had!

Peter

With respect to the QM2 Caribbean sailings from NY, I must confess that has caused me to desert her for 2007 cruises in favor of HAL which will sail from Lauderdale and offer cruises of 7 days. I have no interest in a warm climate cruise that starts in the frozen north and the extra days required coming and going only lengthen the trip to go to virtually the same ports. HAL has a new itinerary that I personally find intriguing for less money than I'm paying for my Dec 06 QM2 trip. And while the Westerdam hasn't the cachet of the QM2, and while I"m sure I'd love to sail QM2 again in 2007, I don't expect to be all that disappointed in HAL from what I've read. I don't mean to sound disloyal to Cunard....just disappointed that the new schedule made my decision for me.

I was interested to read Mustang's comment on the deeply discounted sailings, and the fact that at 90 days out she was half full from NY last winter and wonder how that balanced out against her Lauderdale sailings to the islands. Did she also have difficulty filling up from Florida? Just curious.....

I'm still looking forward to her with boundless enthusiasm and am thrilled to have this chance to experience her before she deserts Florida as a base. Penny

Ken,

I think in her first year QV will be easy to fill....after that people may play 'spot the difference' with - say - ARCADIA and reckon the only major difference is in the price - though of course having the (much) higher yield Grill cabins may help her economics a lot - we simply don't know.

I guess all ships are easy in the first year - but IF QV is as cleverly marketed as QM2, has consistently exotic destinations, proves to be a good seaboat (she is unfairly condemned in advance of her construction by many, especially the armchair marine architects on this board) and is as sensibly discounted as QM2 then she may prove to be easy to fill. I disagree about the price comparison to P&O - I have always found them a little expensive for what was on offer. I think the Grill cabins and facilities will be hugely successful and have an inkling that the main reason for passing over the first version was to up the levels on the second!!!

I think the QE2 will continue to attract business driven by her 'iconic' status - there are still plenty who have not sailed on her and will wish to claim bragging rights - but she's a very old lady, so I would not be surprised at a sudden exit. As long as she makes money they will run her - and when she stops doing that, she should join the great majority and they should scrap her.

Do you really think there are upwards of half a million people wanting to claim bragging rights to fill QE2 over the next 10 years??? I don't think so ..... she's old and there are more and more 'attractive' newer competitors coming onto the UK market every year.

The QM2 may be the 'problem child' - I get the feeling that outside the summer Transatlantic season they are at a bit of a loss to know what to do with her. She's not the best ship for the Caribbean - but they are putting her back there at the end of 07. The idea of South Africa line voyages - which the QE2 did a few years back may be smart - after all, she hasn't been down there yet - and will miss it on her World Cruise, scurrying back through Suez, to get it done in 80 days (or 108 if you're the QV)....

What do you think?

Peter

Well, I remember reading that QE2 was difficult to fill for the first few years and she had little same fleet competition. QM2 won't come into her own until QE2 and her 'iconic' status have disappeared. There are so many people comparing her unfavourably with QE2 without even sailing QM2!!!! Cunard hadn't built a transatlantic liner in 40 years (praise the lord they did) - now they have one hell of a big one and I'm not surprised they haven't found the right winter season niche for her yet. 5 or 6 months to the Caribbean seems a bit mindless - but we aren't party to the accounts so we might be jumping to all the wrong assumptions.

Anyway - surprised none has realised yet but ..... all 3 Queens should be in New York harbour on 13 January 2008 (lord knows where they are going to moor them - what arguments that will start on this board???) .....

Regards

Ken

IF QV is as cleverly marketed as QM2, has consistently exotic destinations, proves to be a good seaboat (she is unfairly condemned in advance of her construction by many, especially the armchair marine architects on this board) and is as sensibly discounted as QM2 then she may prove to be easy to fill.

QM2's 'clever marketing' now includes 5 months in the Caribbean.....I agree QV will probably be a pretty good sea boat - heck she's bigger than either of the original Queens - though her lifeboats are not as high above sea level as QM2's are - Payne got the QM2's there by arguing safety on North Atlantic....does not appear to apply to QV......

QE2's old and there are more and more 'attractive' newer competitors coming onto the UK market every year.

Thats been true for over a decade since ORIANA arrived....and she's still doing fine....

QM2 won't come into her own until QE2 and her 'iconic' status have disappeared.

So the old Queen has to die for the new one to prosper!?! Who's saving up for his QE2 paperweight then....

..... all 3 Queens should be in New York harbour on 13 January 2008 (lord knows where they are going to moor them - what arguments that will start on this board???) .....

I guess QM2 in Brooklyn, QE2/QV Manhattan - only one docking location in Brooklyn.....unless it will have been expanded by then...

Regards

Peter

....... So the old Queen has to die for the new one to prosper!?! Who's saving up for his QE2 paperweight then....

Regards

Peter

Saving for one ???? I've had my teeth marks in one for years !!!!!

Ken

QM2's 'clever marketing' now includes 5 months in the Caribbean.....

So the old Queen has to die for the new one to prosper!?!

Well, gosh! How stupid is that! It seems to me that the American public (And we've all said that that is a big part of her market) is ready for Caribbean cruising big-time. And some are getting tired of "The Fun Ships" and want a classy, more "Adult" (but not octagenarian) ship. They want a more refined and relaxing cruising experience without climbing walls, basement ice-skating rinks, and putt-putt golf course, or conversely loud trashy, glitzy disco and bawdy sing-alongs in the multiple bars, but instead with fine food, wine and some traditions, but not so stuffy as to not have fun.

Argue all you want about us tacky Americans and the boring Caribbean, but Cunard (and QM2) is not a charity! They are in it first, and foremost, to make money, no matter how many of us stick our noses in the air and whine about traditions, and "It's a liner, not a cruise ship" <sniff> and a "Crossing, not a cruise!" Most people (those awful, stupid, worthless people) don't know and don't care. They want to go on a "boat" to someplace warm and sunny where they speak English and act mostly like them and they don't have to worry about terrorists, bird flu, mad cow, the exchange rate or dealing with strange money, customs and language. You can cry all you want, but that is reality.

I admit to being one of those stupid people who didn't know the difference (and really still don't when you come right down to it) between a liner and a cruise ship- (Yeah, I have my ideas, but as there is no definitive definition - is that redundant and repetative? <G>) and the same with crossing/cruise. I was on a ship at sea and loving it That's all I knew or cared (Yes, I learned on my first cruise about bioat/ship- uh, gee, why do you think they give that lecture every trip- Because non-mariners, seamen and frequent cruisers/crossers do not know!)

So yeah- I guess you could call it brilliant marketing positioning it as upscale to people who, for the most part, don't know what upsscale is, but make it affordable, so they feel like they are living the life of the idle rich. But don't make it so "upscale" that the average Joe who works hard to earn the money, and wants to do something different than driving to Florida and "the Mouse" with a carload of cranky kids this year, feels out of place and boorish. and looked down upon by the other passengers. Every one wants to play pretend with lifestyles of the rich and famous with out necessarily BEING rich and famous! And they want to relax and be themselves at the same time!/

Stupid? Yep! Carnival (Cunard/Princess) is crying all the way to the bank. IMHO!

I don't know their numbers, but I'll bet (discounting the pod incident and its resultant PR nightmares) she is making them MONEY!

oh, and as for the other statement?

Haven't you ever heard the statement? Le Roi est mort, Viva le Roi!

The King (Queen) is dead! Long live the King (Queen!)

On the passing of one and the celebration of the ascendency of the new monarch to the throne!

Karie,

Who only wants to LIVE like a Queen....for a few weeks. It would be so boring after a while!

Now fight nicely, remember satire and the spirit of my intentions!

QV will become the World Explorer - similar to how HAL has positioned the Prisendam. Hence, her World Cruise.

QE2 - line runs in winter down to the Canaries.. and Africa way---perhaps all the way to India - similar to what Princess used to do with the old Island Princess.

Summer - in Europe.

QM2 - transat runs Apr-Nov, Nov-Apr - long haul from the UK to the Caribbean and South America.

I do not like the QM2 on US-Caribbean runs. It's a tough sell... and the per diems wind up being dreadful for Cunard.

The other lines sailing from NY to the Caribbean... we practically give those sailings away.

Thanks to everyone who has supplied some information.

Amazing that it will be about 45 years next year, since the last time two Cunard Queens were in Sydney harbour. 2007 will see the QM2 and QEII together in a a much publicised spectacle.

Then in 2008............... it will happen all over again except with the QV replacing the QM2!

I haven't yet finished paying for my 2007 QM2 voyage from San Francisco to Southampton and now I will have to come up with a deposit for 2008!!!

Also looks like I may have to keep some funds aside just in case the QEII is given its marching orders!

Wow!!! Cunard is working hard at keeping me broke!!!

Very interesting times.

Thank you all

...... I do not like the QM2 on US-Caribbean runs. It's a tough sell... and the per diems wind up being dreadful for Cunard.

The other lines sailing from NY to the Caribbean... we practically give those sailings away.

Hi ocngypz ...... Much respect your professional input, but why do you think that is? A Caribbean sailing out of NYC strikes me as being quite a desirable cruise (so much so that we have booked one on EoS in September - but maybe the good rates had something to do with it!!!!). Where are you finding it easiest to sell QM2 sailings - or aren't they selling easily at all??? Line voyages to South Africa or South America sound very exotic but would they sell???

Ken

...... The King (Queen) is dead! Long live the King (Queen!)

On the passing of one and the celebration of the ascendency of the new monarch to the throne!

Hi Karie ... I'd drink to that - but watch you don't get flamed. Have you put down your deposit down on a QE2 paperweight yet?? I heard they were selling like bunk bed cruises to the Isle of Wight and back !!!!

Ken

Le Roi est mort, Viva le Roi!

Karie,

I think you may mean Vive le Roi - unless it is the Roi D'Espagne......

....and the enthusiasm with which one cheers rather depends on the qualities of the new King. For example, I suspect I am not alone in wishing HM QEII a VERY long and healthy life - and with her mother's genes we may yet have another 20 years......

.....as to the wisdom of 5 months in the Caribbean for the QM2....time will tell.....but it does seem ironic that it emerges the day Carnival downgrades its earnings forecast because of weak sales.....in the Caribbean.......

Peter

....and the enthusiasm with which one cheers rather depends on the qualities of the new King. For example, I suspect I am not alone in wishing HM QEII a VERY long and healthy life - and with her mother's genes we may yet have another 20 years.....

Peter

Amen to that - the consequences of an early demise are too awful to contemplate!!! Of QEII that is!!!!

Ken

Hi Karie ... I'd drink to that - but watch you don't get flamed. Have you put down your deposit down on a QE2 paperweight yet?? I heard they were selling like bunk bed cruises to the Isle of Wight and back !!!!

Ken

Well, actually, I was explaining the comment, not giving an opinion.

Although, I have passed on an opportunity to sail on the QE2 a number of years ago (in part due to the cost, vs. the cost of what we DID end up booking) I think I would much rather cruise or cross on her, than on the Victoria, which I fear will be <sigh> "just another cruise ship!"

As for I think you may mean Vive le Roi - unless it is the Roi D'Espagne......

No, no! I meant VIVA! It is a brand of laundry detergent! I meant "WASH THE KING!" You know, he's dirty! <G> (I was trying to fit something in there about the Emporer's new clothes, but I just didn't have the wits to do it!)

Karie,

who WILL sail the QE2 hopefully on a crossing, since I won't miss the balconies quite so much. And whose French is almost as bad as her English!

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any idea when shorter sectors of QV world cruise might be released for sale??? I note Soton/LA, NYC/LA sectors of QE2 world cruises are readily available. Quite fancy 2 or 3 weeks onboard in Jan 2008!!! Not sure about the tandem crossing though!!!

Anyone have any idea when shorter sectors of QV world cruise might be released for sale???

After speaking with a Cunard representative last week, I was told that shorter segments on both the QV and QE2 2008 "world cruises" will be available in September.

Alan

After speaking with a Cunard representative last week, I was told that shorter segments on both the QV and QE2 2008 "world cruises" will be available in September.

Alan

Thanks Alan, that's great news! Any hints on shorter segments ??

Ken

QV should do well in the Carabean. However, we would like to have QM2 to ourselves here on the West Coast doing South Pacific sailings - fewer port calls, more sea days (like the TAs). There is ample wealth to support her and how wonderful for passengers to avoid the flight to and from East Coast ports. Send her out to us - we will keep her fully booked! And, she did rather enjoy visiting this past Winter!!!

Archived