Why is Carnival so Inexpensive?

Avery

Hi... this topic has been so covered and we have not cruised Princess or Celebrity but we did take a Radisson Seven Seas cruise to see the difference. It was much pricer than our other Carnival cruises... we had 5 star food and alcohol was included for free as well as all gratuities. That happened to be the major difference. We were so glad to get back to Carnival. For us it was boring and I would much rather spend my days on a Carnival cruise having lots of activities and fun atmosphere than to take another Radisson cruise.

On Carnival we always have a good relaxing time. Judge your own personality to know if the others are worth paying for, I personally did not find that to be the case.

Carnival's the 800lb gorilla of the cruise industry. They got that way by making what was once a luxury for the uppity-ups into an affordable experience for a wide variety of folks. In order to do that they have to make compromises. Sure, I've whined about bland food, bad coffee,embarking & disembarking, etc. but overall the wife and I have been satisfied with our 2 Carnival cruises and will most likely continue with Carnival.

Is Carnival the "Wal Mart" of cruises? I don't know about that, but I do know if you go to Wal Mart expecting Neimann-Marcus you're probably going to be disappointed...

Len

As far as negative experiences with drunks, I have had one on a Carnival ship but 3 other such experiences on Royal caribbean.
Couldn't agree more. Been on 5 Carnival cruises and one RCL. Saw more intoxicated people - mainly underage teenagers - on my one RCL cruise then I've seen on all 5 Carnival cruises combined. I think part of the reason is that RCL allows 18 - 20 year olds to purchase beer and wine (unless that has changed recently). This age group is more likely to buy for those under 18 then a 21 year old would be - JMHO. It was unbelievable how many teens I saw stumbling around after midnight.

One of these teens was found by our tablemate passed out at the bottom of one of the stairwells. When she called the pursers desk to report it they asked her if he was breathing. She told them she didn't check since she was more concerned about calling them. She said it took over 30 minutes for someone to arrive and carry him off. She said he looked about 15.

I always wonder just how much time someone had on their hands to be able to read so far back in the archives and dig up a seven month old thread.

Perhaps they used the search feature and found it in seven seconds. Of course if you took the time to think about that, then you would have nothing to wine about.

My husband and I were on the Inspiration last Feb and loved her. Our 1st cruise. We will be on the Glory in 12 days!!!! We loved our cruise and don't have anything to compare it to. BUT!!!! A little bit of something is worth a whole lot of nothing!!!! There may be a day we try another cruise line, I don't know why if were happy with Carnival, it sure won't be for bragging rights. We are not poor by all means, Carnival makes it easy to try things out and not give up other things like Vegas, and all the other things we love to do. Oh I am getting so excited!!!! 12 more days!!!! Yip pe skip pee!!!!!

A group of us are planning a Mediterranean cruise for Sept or Oct, 2007. In reviewing pricing I note Carnival is nearly $1000 per person cheaper than Celebrity or Princess for a comparable 12-13 day cruise. Why? I'm always very skeptical when there is such a price variance.

There are different reasons for the varience in pricing. Carnival Cruise Line was founded by someone who liked to cruise and wanted to make it available for the average person and their family. Prior to Carnival coming on the scene in the '70's cruising was done only by those fairly well off.

I have been on five different cruise lines. Personally, I think Carnival has the best food. They also have a high level of service. Two other cruise lines I've been on provided very little service and/or lousey food. Another cruise line I have been on has food and service comparable to Carnival.

I have found that you will probably get best value from Carnival. If cost is your determining factor then find out who gives what service and go with the one that could deliver it at the cheapest price.

Perhaps they used the search feature and found it in seven seconds. Of course if you took the time to think about that, then you would have nothing to wine about.

I wasn't whining and I wasn't talking to you. No one here is looking for trouble. We don't need your type here. Go away. :p

I wasn't whining and I wasn't talking to you. No one here is looking for trouble. We don't need your type here. Go away. :p

I see you can dish it out, but don't like having the dish returned to you. :eek:

I don't know the answer to your question (OP) but I will say, especially for the money, you can't beat Carnival.

If you get a hotel for $80 a night for four nights (and can find one that the roaches won't eat you) and eat at McDonald's 3 times a day for $8 a meal (and believe me, we ate on Carnival more than 3 times a day and ate more than $8 in food and never touched a nugget or anything else with Mc in its name) you've spent around $440 for 5 days/4 nights and have stayed in one place. We got our 5 day CHRISTMAS cruise to Freeport and Nassau for, after obc's, less than $500 a person. The same cruise can be had for $200 pp, we just had to go at Christmas.

My BF and I went on RC in February and my parents, brothers and BF and I just got back from Christmas on Carnival Sensation. People can say what they want about Carnival but I think it beat RCL on everything from food to iteneraries to bedding to personal service. Everyone from my PVP to the guy who forced me to continue drinking free champagne as soon as we got on the boat on day one was better than anyone I encountered on RCL.

We've cruised NCL, Princess, Disney (and about 15 years ago Carnival...I believe it's changed since then.) All were great for their own reasons.

We leave on the 20th for a 5-day cruise aboard the Inspiration. The reason I chose it....price. For a total of $1295 (including port charges, taxes and insurance) we (a family of 4 with 2 children ages 6 and 8) are taking a 5-day cruise (Sat. - Thurs) with Port stops in Grand Cayman and Mexico (that's $52 pp. per day.) I think that's a fabulous deal!

Right now, it really fits our budget and for the 4 of us, I think we'll have a ball! If it were just my husband and myself, we might opt for RCCL or NCL. but the kids really enjoy the Kids' Clubs and we wanted to do some neat excursions when we hit hit the Islands. I'm not expecting 4 or 5 star amenities but just from what I've read about Carnival recently, I think it'll suit us perfectly for a family vacation.

I'll be sure to report back when all is said and done.

Deb

We've cruised NCL, Princess, Disney (and about 15 years ago Carnival...I believe it's changed since then.) All were great for their own reasons.

We leave on the 20th for a 5-day cruise aboard the Inspiration. The reason I chose it....price. For a total of $1295 (including port charges, taxes and insurance) we (a family of 4 with 2 children ages 6 and 8) are taking a 5-day cruise (Sat. - Thurs) with Port stops in Grand Cayman and Mexico (that's $65 pp. per day.) I think that's a fabulous deal!

Right now, it really fits our budget and for the 4 of us, I think we'll have a ball! If it were just my husband and myself, we might opt for RCCL or NCL. but the kids really enjoy the Kids' Clubs and we wanted to do some neat excursions when we hit hit the Islands. I'm not expecting 4 or 5 star amenities but just from what I've read about Carnival recently, I think it'll suit us perfectly for a family vacation.

I'll be sure to report back when all is said and done.

Deb

A group of us are planning a Mediterranean cruise for Sept or Oct, 2007. In reviewing pricing I note Carnival is nearly $1000 per person cheaper than Celebrity or Princess for a comparable 12-13 day cruise. Why? I'm always very skeptical when there is such a price variance.

Avery,

My DD and I were on the Liberty in the Mediterranean last May. It really has a different "feel" than the Caribbean cruises. This is my opinion and experience based on our 1 Med cruise.

1) I didn't hear constant announcements.

2) Didn't see a hairy chest contests

3) Our 3a inside cabin was adequate in size, outsides are bigger.

4) the staff, for the most part, friendly and helpful

5) the bedding was wonderful

6) The food was good. Not McDonald's but not 5 star either

7) Most people dressed well for dinner

I recently sailed Holland America and although it was a step higher in terms of service and amount of people per square foot, it wasn't THAT much better to warrant higher prices. And the food on Carnival is better, IMHO.

Good luck on your final choice of cruise.

Many valid points have been made on this thread, but the bottom line for the price of cruise is a plain and simple business decision.

Carnival Cruise Lines is the largest cruise vacation corporation in the world. It makes money from a number of banners including, Carnival, Princess, and HAL among others. It provides a service to the market to meet all customer preferences, likes and dislikes, and what they can afford or want to pay.

Some people become annoyed when labels are put on the cruise line they like to use the most, but the fact is, they are different by design not by accident. Carnival Cruise Corporation positions each of its companies in the market in order to suck up the biggest portion of the market and deny that market to its competitors, as few as there are.

From a pure business perspective, which is what I believe the OP was asking, no corporation does it better than CCL!

So it splits the market three ways, and in doing so takes the biggest chunk of the cruise market. It has its original brand, Carnival, the Fun Ships, inexpensive but quality on the low end of the price grid; then comes Princess a little more expensive for the consumer, but also a very different cruise experience; finally, comes Holland America, one of the original, 'high end', cruise lines and the most expensive of the banners.

Each company offers a completely different cruise experience and service at a different price break.

The three companies operate day-to-day completely independently, with their own managment teams, making their own marketing, service and pricing decisions. CCL controls the financial well being of all the banners, making final decisions that will insure the overall corporate financial goals are met.

As for the OP's question about the Med. Carnival is launching its new Freedom, I think the name is, that holds 3001 passengers. It wants to insure that it makes a "big Splash" ,so to speak, and throws a solid body punch to the non-CCL competition in that region. :D Trust me, it will do it too!

The Med showed up on Carnival's year end financials as its strongest profit generator for the year, and as I recall, the profit numbers are up 25% over last year. That is what keeps shareholders happy!!:) The one thing Carnival has to wrestle with in the Med is the cost of getting its largely North American customer base to Europe to get on the ships. One way is to offset the cost by reducing it fares, so the prices for Carnival Med cruises will be lower for a while. Enjoy them, we sure are.

Tom&Deb:)

I see you are hell bent on being a trouble maker. Go on a cruise. :mad:

I already have a cruise booked - and fully paid for. As for my posts, they are the same as yours. The only difference is the target. I see you still don't like eating your own cooking. :rolleyes:

I already have a cruise booked - and fully paid for. As for my posts, they are the same as yours. The only difference is the target. I see you still don't like eating your own cooking. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your cruise. I don't cook.:p

I find it interesting how Carnival operates a 100% price hike for british customers!! The cheapest price i could get for a carnival med cruise for 12 nights was £1297 per person for a 4A - the cheapest cabin on the ship. This works out at around double what you paid!! It is also 40 pounds MORE expensive than a similar Celebrity cruise and only a couple of hundred pounds less than 13 nights on the QM2 which would include flights to the US

God Save the Queen!

Archived