OK to carry champagne/wine on plane

luvtravel

to take on ship? I believe that we can take some wine or champagne with us on board. Can we consume it in our room, or does it have to be used in dining room...and pay corkage fee? Reason I'm asking, is that we're taking a cruise to celebrate our anniversary and friends gave us a very nice bottle of champagne for our trip. Just wondered about the ettiquette of taking it. Appreciate any help I can get on this....we leaving in a few days!! Thanks all.

Yes, you can take it with you, and you can consume it in your cabin without a corkage fee. Be sure to take a corkscrew. You should put the wine/champagne in your carryon, well wrapped, so an accidental bump doesn't break it. Putting it in your checked luggage really increases the chances that it will get broken. Put the corkscrew in the checked luggage, though. It may be confiscated at the airport if you put it in your carryon.

BTW, Happy Anniversary and Bon Voyage

Yes, you can take it with you, and you can consume it in your cabin without a corkage fee. Be sure to take a corkscrew. You should put the wine/champagne in your carryon, well wrapped, so an accidental bump doesn't break it. Putting it in your checked luggage really increases the chances that it will get broken. Put the corkscrew in the checked luggage, though. It may be confiscated at the airport if you put it in your carryon.

BTW, Happy Anniversary and Bon Voyage

Good advice re; the cork screw! It will be confiscated at the airport if you put it in your carry-on luggage!

Happy anniversary!

Good advice re; the cork screw! It will be confiscated at the airport if you put it in your carry-on luggage!

Happy anniversary!

The only reason I put MAY instead of WILL, is because you never know for sure what they will miss. It should be confiscated, but we both know what should be isn't always what happens. There was one flight where they passed out the snacks with fresh apples. One lady pulled a paring knife from her purse and proceeded to peel the apple! How did that happen:confused:

The only reason I put MAY instead of WILL, is because you never know for sure what they will miss. It should be confiscated, but we both know what should be isn't always what happens. There was one flight where they passed out the snacks with fresh apples. One lady pulled a paring knife from her purse and proceeded to peel the apple! How did that happen:confused:

It was missed. Unfortunately, items that can be used as weapons still do get missed (not sure how long the TSA agent staring at the monitor at each x-ray station works there until relieved but I would hope no more than 1/2 hour-45 minutes) . You would think that common sense (a paring knife:eek: ) would come into play on the part of us, the travelling public, but then again who are we kidding?

Went to the TSA website to see what else (other than the obvious ones, such as knives and boxcutters) is prohibited, and found, much to my surprise, that corkscrews are on the list of items which may be taken aboard in both carryon and checked baggage. Having said that, as I have no reason to think that I'll have to pull any corks while in flight, I'll put my corkscrew in the checked baggage, thank you. Here's a link to the TSA's prohibited/permitted list of items: http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc

Went to the TSA website to see what else (other than the obvious ones, such as knives and boxcutters) is prohibited, and found, much to my surprise, that corkscrews are on the list of items which may be taken aboard in both carryon and checked baggage. Having said that, as I have no reason to think that I'll have to pull any corks while in flight, I'll put my corkscrew in the checked baggage, thank you. Here's a link to the TSA's prohibited/permitted list of items: http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc
Just because it says that you can... in an official government document... is not sufficient reason to believe the guys at the gate will not confiscate it. :rolleyes: The display boards of prohibited items still have many of the items that were recently OK'ed for carryon. If the TSA agent says to discard it, and you argue, you'll likely miss the flight, so nobody argues. If there is any doubt at all, err on the side of caution and put the items in the checked luggage.

Archived