Playa Uvas

rscima

Has anyone taken the 3-reef snorkel tour from here????? Also, how does this beach compare to Paradise Beach??? I will be in Cozumel the week of Oct. 29 with 7 others and am trying to make decisions on beaches/snorkeling. :confused: :confused: Can anyone help??

This sounds great. A couple of questions:

Is it easy to find a cab back to the port? Is there plenty of shade?

It sounds like the food is good, not sure about that part, I hate missing a meal on the ship. It sounds like you can just snorkel on your own from the shore--is there much of a problem with the current?

I've only been on one real snorkel "tour", and it was kind of pain. Is this a matter of just someone taking you to the "good stuff" and them letting you do what you like?

Are the glass-bottom kayaks single or double?

Thanks, this sounds like just the ticket for our trip in December.

This sounds great. A couple of questions:

Is it easy to find a cab back to the port? Is there plenty of shade?

Plenty of cabs available at Uvas...plenty of shade, too.

It sounds like the food is good, not sure about that part, I hate missing a meal on the ship. It sounds like you can just snorkel on your own from the shore--is there much of a problem with the current?

The current can be strong. I like having the guide and his back up in unfamiliar waters. Safety issue...

But for snorkling from shore...this is one of the better places for it.

I've only been on one real snorkel "tour", and it was kind of pain. Is this a matter of just someone taking you to the "good stuff" and them letting you do what you like?

They lead you around to the better areas. They know from day-to-day experience where the fish like to hide out...but they also give you time to look around.

Are the glass-bottom kayaks single or double?

Two person totally clear kayaks.

Thanks, this sounds like just the ticket for our trip in December.

Have a great trip!

Has anyone taken the 3-reef snorkel tour from here?????

I don't think anyone here has done that yet. If they had they haven't posted their experience yet. I asked about it before I left on my cruise and nobody responded. I imagine that it's great. From what I read on Playa Uvas' website is that you go on a boat and they take to 3 reefs. I'm sure you will see a lot of fish since your on a boat. However, if you decide to opt out of the snorkel tour you can also do the guided tour that they offer there on the beach. The guides know where to take you and you will see several fish too. It's amazing. I absolutely fell in love w/Playa Uvas. What ever you decide to do you, you can't go wrong. If you have any additional questions e-mail Eduardo.

Hope this helps.

Would happen to remember about what they cost? Thanks again.

It depends on the size you get. The smaller ones (the size of the glass) i believe they cost $15-16 bucks. The slightly bigger ones I belive are $20-25 bucks. I bought a set last time and another necklace and i love em!! You can see some pics of the the glass fusion jewlery at the Playa Uvas website..I know previously Stir posted some on this thread. I don't remember the the exact prices of the glass fusion jewlery, but I'm sure Stir or someone else will let us know exactly!! :D

Hope this helps!

We are a family of 5, husband wife 3 young men 22. 20 & 17. We were looking for something to do as a family and for a nice beach day. We had read and booked this before leaving and got a 10% discount. Trips to Cozumel before we went to Play Maya which had beach, beach activities food bar etc.

Was not sure what to expect when we got to Cozumel. We taxi ride was $15 took about ten minutes. We got to the get and got the snorkeling package for our boys that included open bar, a meal and snorkeling for the day. My wife and I paid $7 to get in and it included two drinks each.

At first our boys were not impressed at all! Not only no beach activities NO BEACH! Had some sand at the top an area of about 30 feet by 20 feet. In the water no sand and very hard to walk on rocks. We beach umbrella came with entry, also float mat's could be used. The beds were $10 for the day. Playa Uvas is small. Has a small pool about 14x12.

So needless to say did not get off to a great start. I told our boys enjoy it for a few hours and if they wanted we would move on to another place.

The people were very friendly and went out of there way to make things great. The boys snorkeled around on there own for an hour and then went on a tour. After that they spent the next 2 to 3 hours snorkeling and swiming. They said the snorkeling was great the best tour of the trip! They ordered there lunch and we got some food and in the end they had a great day.

So to summarize if you want a beach with lots of activities that is not Playa Uvas. If you want get more relaxed day with great snorkeling and friendly people go!

nosmothj...

Uvas isn't the place for everyone, as we've tried to explain in these 45+ pages of postings. Other clubs are more appropriate for those who like a more active beach day. Uvas is for those of us who appreciate it's unique place among the clubs of Cozumel.

I'm glad your first impressions didn't deter you from having a great day! The place does kinda grow on you!

landj4always...

I think I paid $27 for one set of necklace and earrings, and $15-$17 for a couple of pairs of earrings. I also got an ashtray, an incense holder, and some necklaces without earrings.

Here's the link to some of the jewelry!

I just got my confirmation and I when I read it, it says that use of the beach beds in 10 bucks extra. I thought that people on here said they were included. Any expriences with this?

Thanks ahead of time!

Yes the Beach Beds are extra. We paid $10 in August. The float matts chairs & umbrellas are included.

I just got my confirmation and I when I read it, it says that use of the beach beds in 10 bucks extra. I thought that people on here said they were included. Any expriences with this?

Thanks ahead of time!

Previously, the beach beds were free. But now they do charge. It's only 10 bucks and well worth the money!! They are soo comfy!! I hope you enjoy Playa Uvas!!!:D

Wow! this is already on page 46?? Wow! when we were there, even though it was a cloudy & sort of rainy day, the beachbed we rented was by the ocean & we had a very good time during the times the sun would peek.... LOL .... I'd recommend that when you make the reservations you askd Eduardo for the beachbeds (there's just a few of them).

Previously, the beach beds were free. But now they do charge. It's only 10 bucks and well worth the money!! They are soo comfy!! I hope you enjoy Playa Uvas!!!:D

wow! this is already on page 46? wow!.... whe we were there, even though it was a cloudy and sort of rainy day, the beachberd we rented was by the ocean and we had a good time during the times the sun would peek....I'd recommend that when you make the reservations you ask eduardo for the beachbed (there's only a few of them).

Artseeker

My wife and I are taking our first cruise in about a month and our wondering which is better, taking a cruise excursion or seeking out on our own. We don't want to shell out a bunch of money and get taken advantage of and want to make the most or our time.

Also how long do you actually have on the Island? I'm a go from sun up to sundown type of person on vacation,but this is supposed to be a relaxing trip so I don't want to book too much.

We want to allow for time to shop, hang on the beach, swim, and see the mayan ruins. We also may be interested in a massage on the beach.

Any suggestions will be very helpful.

My wife and I are taking our first cruise in about a month and our wondering which is better, taking a cruise excursion or seeking out on our own. We don't want to shell out a bunch of money and get taken advantage of and want to make the most or our time.

Also how long do you actually have on the Island? I'm a go from sun up to sundown type of person on vacation,but this is supposed to be a relaxing trip so I don't want to book too much.

We want to allow for time to shop, hang on the beach, swim, and see the mayan ruins. We also may be interested in a massage on the beach.

Any suggestions will be very helpful.

Wtex,

Are you asking specifically about Playa Uvas...or excursions in general while visiting Cozumel?

Tell us what ship you're sailing, date in Cozumel, and a bit more info...kids?, no kids? active day? lazy relaxing day?

For example:

The Clear Kayak Tour through the cruise lines takes place at Playa Uvas and is ALSO available directly from the Playa Uvas website at a considerable savings. If you are comfortable getting yourself from the ship to Uvas (easy...catch a cab at the dock, $10-12 for up to 4 people, and ask them to take you to Uvas, about 8 miles from the dock), you will save money by booking directly with Uvas. You could book a package online in advance and spend the day at Uvas and then head for the dock area to shop before boarding your ship.

As for Mayan ruins, I'd save that for a time when I'd be visiting the mainland...Tulum is especially grand and worth the visit. The San Gervasio ruins on Cozumel aren't really worth the time on your first visit to Cozumel, IMO.

I have done ship excursions and had a blast...but the last several years I've booked my own excursions while visiting Cozumel.

Comfort level has a lot to do with it!

Give us some more info and we can help you plan better...:D

It sounds like you had a good time; we were also treated wonderfully and I let ne tell you that when we were there, we saw lots & lots of colorful fish . I'd never been snorkeling before, and I loved what I saw! :p Because of what we experienced, my husband wants to take the open water diver course (3 days), so we'll be coming back in December for 1 week. Can't wait!!

Artseeker

We had a wonderful time there, I would recommend that beach it is good. Good service!!!

Snorkeling was disappointing so, was a waste of time....