terracotta warriors

jackieN

we are having 5 nights in beijing before are cruise and we are thinking of flying to xian to see the warriors, has anybody done it in one day, how far are they from the airport and will we need a guide or could we just take a taxi,there will be 4 of us 2 adults and 2 teenagers many thanks

I bit the bullet and booked a Beijing to Xi'an round trip flight on Air China. The cost was about $300 each. I found a tour company that will meet us at the Xi'an airport, take us on a tour of the terra cotta warriors, and some other Xi'an attractions and get us back to the Xi'an airport in time for our flight back to Beijing. The tour total cost was $170 for both of us. Our flight leaves Beijing at 7:30 a.m. and the flight back to Beijing from Xi'an leaves Xi'an at 7:20 p.m. So, we'll be there about 12 hours. Our tour price also includes lunch. Total cost for the day, $800 with taxis to and from the Beijing airport from our hotel in Beijing. HUGE savings over the Princess tour price.

I bought the airline tickets on expedia.com, PEK to XIY.

The airfare was approx. $580 (I got it on expedia.com... PEK to XIY) Then the tour company was $170 (includes pick up at the XIY airport, transportation to the attractions and admission, lunch, and transportation back to the XIY airport.) I used "Mr. Leon" at chinahighlights.com. His email address is: lion@chinahighlights.com

He was very helpful and I am anticipating a great trip. He was willing to do the entire tour (with airfare included) for $800 total. However, I wanted to be in control of setting my own flights and having the airline tickets in my possession here in the USA before traveling to China. (You have to have "paper tickets," apparently, they don't do "electronic tickets" in China.) Mr. Leon was going to have the paper tickets delivered to my hotel to be waiting for me in Beijing, but I am more comfortable having them with me now. They were delivered to me by FedEx.

Good Luck!

We are part of the Princess Excursion there and we do the city in one day, so I would think that it is doable, just depends upon how much you want to see. I know the flights are resticted to 44 pounds for luggage, but that shouldn't be a problem, since you wouldn't have luggage. FYI, the airport that serves X'ian is 45 kms away., so you'll want to adjust your times for that.

I would check Air China's flight schedules. As for doing the city on your own, you might want to check out the book, Xi'an, Shaanxi and the Terracotta Army(we got ours at Barnes and Noble, but I'm sure you could pick it up elsewhere for cheaper than the $24 cover price. anyhow, it goes into great detail about the army, the city and what you, as a tourist, would need to know. It was fascinating reading

Hope this helps,

Charlie

thanks everyone, with 2 teenagers in tow i just wanted to fly in do the warriors and the emperors tomb, i know it is a waste but there is only so much culture they can take, we will be doing ALL the sights in beijing, can anyone remember how long it took to get to the warriors from the airport

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9622177298/qid=1148085993/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-7862034-7711121?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

47 used & new available from $15.16

Xi'an, Shaanxi: Chang'an and the Terracotta Army, First Edition (Odyssey Illustrated Guide) (Paperback)

Situated in north central China, Xi'an is among the great historic centers of the world-it is China's Luxor. Here the early tapestry of Chinese civilization was woven-the rise of the Zhou kingdom which introduced the "Mandate of Heaven," the Warring State of Qin which defeated and unified the country into the first empire from which "Qin" gave the West the concept of "China." Then, turning westward, through the golden ages of the Han and the Tang, Xi'an sparkled as the largest and most cosmopolitan city on earth. The gateway to the fabled Silk Road of yore, traders and travelers from the Levant, the Middle East, central Asia and beyond made their way to the bustling markets of this most open of ancient cities.

This comprehensive guidebook, highlighting the city and its environs, leads the reader on a journey through China's glorious ancient history, from the origin of the distinctive landscape of northern China and the early stirrings of Neolithic culture at sites like Banpo, through its rise to Imperial capital in the Qin, Han and Tang (among other periods), to its relative decline and vital modern role as administrative center and investment portal to China's vast northwest frontier.

• Detailed information on the capital of 11 different dynastic periods
  • The world of legendary Chang'an explored
  • Highlights the major archaeological and historical sites of the Xi'an area, including the world-famous Terracotta Warriors and Horses excavation
  • Describes the geological background to the distinctive scenery of the Yellow River Basin and the North China Plain
  • Introduces the Chinese Communists' war-time HQ at Yan'an and newly opened archaeological sites elsewhere in Shaanxi province
  • 96 color photographs
  • 7 maps

I think I'll order one. Besides travel & cruising, books are my other mania. ;)

It's well written and easy to read. Some travel books are a tad dry. We have loaned it to a couple of friends and they've reported back the same thing. It also goes into a lot of the history of the surrounding areas. Just a great book to linger with - in fact, I'm reading it again just for the fun of it. Do let me know what you think.

Book passion - a great hobby. You can never have too many books or too many cats!

Charlie

You can take the first flight CA1203 departing at 7:30am to Xian (The price is about RMB1,050). You will properly arrive at about 9:10am. Xian's airport locates at a nearby city - Xianyang. The warriors is somewhere in between Xian and Xianyang. However, you still need to allow an hour to travel from the airport to the warriors. Then, if everything is in order, you may arrive at 10:30am. You can spend 3 hours in the museum and another hour for the lunch and etc. I believe you can catch the 18:00 flight (HU7881) or the 19:05 flight (CA1236) back to Beijing (The price is about RMB950). A one-day trip is possible. You can find a taxi at the airport to take you to the museum. The one-way taxi fee should be less than RMB200. You may also ask the taxi to take you back to the airport. The airticket can be purchased in the hotel or you can visit the web site www.ctrip.com (one of the largest travel agent in China) and contact them. They will deliver the tickets to your hotel. You only need to pay while you have got the tickets! Good luck!:)

12345mm thank you so much for that info, i had looked into the flights briefly and the timmings look good, the only thing i am worried about is if we get such an early flight, we will have to be up around 5.00am to allow for check-in and travel to the airport, the kids will be exhausted by the time we get there, what do you think about taking the overnight train and flying back, that way we may not be so tired

You certainly can travel to Xi'an only for a day trip, but I'd suggest thinking about staying over for one night. There is much more to Xi'an than just the warriors, but I must admit that they are the main attraction. If you do stay over one night, you might go see the Tang Dynasty Dinner Show. It was a interesting performance, highlighting the cultural differences--and the dinner was okay too.

When we went independently last October, I bought air tickets through yoee.com before leaving home (it shows which flights are available for a discount--and how much of a discount; however there will be additional charge of 5% for using visa--anyway while expedia was $279 r/t we paid $168 r/t). Upon arrival in Xi'an, we took the airport shuttle to town, the cost was 25 RMB/pp (@$3)--it's approximatly 45 minutes to an hour ride. We took the shuttle to town center and caught a taxi to our hotel for less than $5.00. BTW, we stayed in town at the Hyatt, which was close to everything and good area for walking for $99--which included a fantastic breakfast buffet. (booked thru asiarooms.com)

In any event, you don't need to hire a guide for the entire trip. Should you want, there are plenty of guides offerring their services prior to the entrance of the warriors. We took a taxi from the Hyatt to the warriors for 200 RMB. The taxi driver drove us there, waited for 3.5 hours and then drove us back to the hotel.

If you do decide to stay over, you can leave your luggage either at your hotel in Beijing or at the airport (for a mininal fee). Xi'an is a dirty dusty city, but we did enjoy it tremendously.

Have a great trip!

12345mm thank you so much for that info, i had looked into the flights briefly and the timmings look good, the only thing i am worried about is if we get such an early flight, we will have to be up around 5.00am to allow for check-in and travel to the airport, the kids will be exhausted by the time we get there, what do you think about taking the overnight train and flying back, that way we may not be so tired

I agree that a one-day trip will be exhaustive, especially you are traveling with kids! I would suggest you spend one more day in Xian. I do not recommend taking the overnight train to Xian as the Beijing Station and the Xian Station are not safe. There are many many travelers, passengers and others around the train stations. If you can speak fluent Chinese and familiar with the Chinese characters, it will be easy. Other wise, it may not be good for you especially with the kids. I still recommend you to take a flight to Xian (e.g. you can take the flights around 9:30 - 10:30, such as CA1209) and arrive at noon. Then, you can go to a hotel. I do not recommend the Hyatt as it locates at the very center of Xian. The traffic around the hotel is not good. But, if you like to walk around the downtown area of Xian, it will be a good choice. I have stayed in the Sheraton Hotel several times and it is very good. The location is convenient in particular if you want to travel outside Xian. The Shangri-La Golden Flower Hotel is also a good choice. You can also book the hotel through the web www.ctrip.com or www.elong.com . These are large travel agents in China. Xian is the capital of Shanxi province.

There are many other places that are worth visiting in Xian area. Xi'an has been the capital of eleven dynasties for more than 2000 years ranging from 1000BC to 1000 AD. There are many significant sites and relics in this city. The Terracotta Army of Qin Emperor, the tomb of the first lady emperor, the tomb of Yang Yuhuan and Huaqing Pool and many other tombs have been constructed since the Han Dynasty to Tang Dynasty. I personally don't like the city as it is dirty and not well organized. However, the historical sites are really attractive. So, spending one more day in Xian is valuable. If you are going to visit Xian for 2 days, you can take the 17:05 flight back to Beijing. Well planning is necessary as you are traveling with kids. Good luck!:)

thanks to everyone for all your advice i will let you know what we decide to do, i am so excited about seiing the warriors, we are quite well travelled but this is so exciting :) :) :) :)

Archived