Does anyone NOT go on excursions?

Coki beach is very different from Megans Bay, much more crowded and commercial. Sorry for your bad luck.

^ ^ Yes, indeed, I agree. I am also sorry that happened, Inshape. When we went to Magen's Bay on St. Thomas, we could not have felt safer and more secure - we truly feel the paid admission ($3.00 each) really promotes the safer atmosphere and possibly helps to keep out those who might go there to steal your things. Absolutely, we could have been robbed blind of our stuff while we were both swimming, but it just seemed so safe and secure there and in feeling that way, we were both free to enjoy our day and swim at the same time, unlike we felt at Paradise Island in Nassau (for example).

We don't like to plan every minute of a vacation, so we always do a little of both. Our lives are scheduled enough every day that having days to just go with the flow are so nice. I do LOTS of research before we leave. The books I have found helpful are: Frommer's Ports of Call, and Caribbean Cruises by Insight Guides/Discover.

Last cruise we booked 1 cruise line tour (Barbados), and 1 private tour (St. Lucia) before we left, the other stops we just got off the ship and did our own thing. In St. Thomas we took the ferry to St. John. There is a 15 minute one that leaves Red Hook and goes to Cruz bay. You will need to take a taxi from the ship dock to Red Hook, but you do see some of St. Thomas along the way so we felt it was worth it. We did our own thing on Antigua, St. Maarten, and Puerto Rico (Pre and Post cruise.)

We have the best days just doing our own thing, not being rushed, discovering new places on our own.

Enjoy your cruise!

My husband and I never do excursion except this year when we go to Alaska. Nassau is our least favorite port. If you have never been to Atlantis go there it used to be free to walk through. Then we usually have a drink at the Pirate place and sometimes go to the Straw Market and go back to the ship before noon and have the rest of the day by the pool. For St Thomas you can take a taxi ride to the beach ask the crew where they go. That is usually the closest and the least crowded. St Maarten we have done the America's Cup was pretty neat but pricy close to $100. In Cozumel we never do we rent a jeep and go to Mr Sancho's beach.

Lexi

Years ago we used to book excursions from the ship, until we discovered how overpriced they were. Nowadays, I really enjoy going on the Ports oF Call section on these boards and reading everyone's opinions of where to go and what to do. You can get a real consensus of what is not to be missed and what is just so-so. Doing THIS kind of "homework" is just so much fun - and takes many lovely hours of research.:D

Last month we did not book any excursions for Nassau. We took the water taxi to Paradise Island to Atlantis. Nothing to do there. We did get to see some of the Aquarium but most of the resort is blocked off for guests only. You have to pay for a tour of the rest of the resort. I didn't do that so I don't remember how much maybe $18.00 or more. The straw market was pushy people all selling the same thing.

Also did not book an excursion for San Juan. We walked to both of the forts and paid admission for both was $5.00 each. Did not pay for taxi and didn't see the need to. I wasn't a bad walk.

The more research you do (use the forums at this site, be sure to search) the more it seems like doing your own thing is the best way to go.

On our first cruise a few years back, we had excursions at every stop. As we get ready for our next cruise in a few weeks, we're glad that we haven't planned any excursions (except for the everglades tour in Miami, which just kills time before our flight).

No excursion in St. Maarten. Just beached it at Great Bay and did some shopping. It was a very relaxing time.

We did this on St. Maarten as well. It was a very unhurried day.:D

I also second the comment about the Ports of Call section on CC. I also found many good ideas through searching through the Ports of Call. That is how I found Cosol in St. Lucia.

Archived