Does anyone NOT go on excursions?

Just curious if anyone just wanders around at the ports with no specific activities planned? What is there to do in St. Thomas, St. Marteen and Nassau if you don't plan an excursion?

Do we have to take a taxi to get somewhere or are there things within walking distance?

St. Thomas - take the tram to the top of the hill - see the bird show. Take the ferry to St. Johns and snorkel.

Nassau - take the boat or a taxi to Atlantis

St. Martin - take a taxi around the island.

We rarely take excursions - hate the getting on - getting off the bus part - especially waiting for the same late people at every stop. Do some research on this forum, the library or the internet, and you will be able to go interesting places on your own. Nancy

If it's a port we've been to and don't care for it, we'll sometimes stay onboard the ship. It can be very nice, you have the whole place to yourself.

However, if you have never been to that particular location, get out and go! Shopping is on the bottom of my list when I'm on vacation, I want to see some of the country I'm visiting and get away from the crowds of the cruise port. Even if it's just for part of the day, you'll still be able to do a little shopping, if you must, or go back to the ship and relax in peace and quiet.

When you think back years from now you may regret not actually seeing the places you've travelled to. I'm an avid shopper at home, though!

St Thomas is just too much to take a cab to anywhere. I do not like that island anyways so we just had a fantastic ship day that day. Now St Maarten is my favorite. It is cheaper to rent a car, right off the pier, and enjoy a wonderful day there. With a little bit of planning you can print off a wonderful driving tour from the internet and get to see everything and still have time for a great beach stop...we love Orient Beach but went to Bikini Beach last cruise since our 9 and 11 year old was with us. Other than that we usually rent cars to sight see on our own. although when we are going to Jamaica in Oct we are doing a tour with a guide since Jamaica is not the place to wander around alone.

we usually don't do excursions with the cruiseline- we look on these boards and read about what others have done in the ports we are going to - we then book directly with the tours we like or go to a beach that comes highly recommended- have done tours on lots of islands and pretty much they all look alike to us so we mostly go to the beach to relax, have a drink or two, swim in the ocean and by then its time to head back to the boat- if you are into tours, read about what others suggest in those ports and go have a great time

If it is a country we have never been to before, we always book an excursion. This allows us to get some information about the country, the people and the culture. Once we have done that, we know where we want to go or do the next time we are there.

In Nassau, visit the Queens Staircase and the forts.

In St. Marteen, the island tour will allow you to see both the Dutch and the French sides of the island, and learn some of the history. Have lunch in a cafe' on the French side.

In St. Thomas, take the tram to the top of the mountain and look out over the harbor. Go to Megans Bay.

The fun of traveling to all of these places is the ability to visit spots you haver never been to before. The waterfront does not present the true picture of these lovely islands.

You may also look at the Ports of Call boards for some more ideas.

The only time I do excursions offered by the cruiseline, is when I am in Europe, where some background education of the place I'm visiting would be helpful. When I am in the Caribbean, I get off of the ship, find a nice restaurant and enjoy lunch off of the ship. Or I take a taxi and head to the beach. Perhaps a little walk around and then back to the ship for sailaway. Once you've been to the islands, you figure out what you want to do.

On our very first cruise we booked excursions, now we usually play it by ear at each port, when we get off the ship we check out the different tours that are offered at the pier or take a taxi to the beach or just wander around the Island, that way there are no crowds or time frames except to get back to the ship before it leaves, it usually makes a more relaxing day.

We are a coulple who also like to "do our own thing" meaning we usually rent a car and explore. I do, however, research everything to death and have a plan but not one that we can't re-arrange once there. Meaning we are flexible.... if we want to stay one place a little longer or leave another a little earlier than we do. The best thing is you have control over where, when, how long etc.... We have met some amazing people since we stop at some really out of the way places.

that said.... there are SOME places where I have found that it is easier for someone else to "move us around". Then we try to find a private tour and the last resort is a large excursion. We just dont like the "herd" feeling getting on a large bus with 50 other people and like the above poster said waiting for the same late people to get back on....

ST. Maarten we rented an open jeep and had a blast !!!! St. Thomas we took a taxi to Red Hook, then a ferry to St. John and another taxi to Trunk Bay and then reversed it coming back. St. John is so pristine since it is 2/3 Natl. Park.... we loved it. Did not have Nassau as a port.

St. Thomas - take the tram to the top of the hill - see the bird show. Take the ferry to St. Johns and snorkel.

Nassau - take the boat or a taxi to Atlantis

St. Martin - take a taxi around the island.

We rarely take excursions - hate the getting on - getting off the bus part - especially waiting for the same late people at every stop. Do some research on this forum, the library or the internet, and you will be able to go interesting places on your own. Nancy

Boy are you right. I hate the herding atmosphere, the people who can't do anything on time, and there is always one or two that make you late for the next stop, It is much more fun to do it on your own, St.Thomas has a taxi to Megans bay which is fantastic, St.Martin has a beach close to the ship, Sting Ray City tours at the dock are about half the cost and only take about 15-20 people. So many reasons.

My family usually doesn't do excursions. As a matter of fact the only on shore activity I have done via RCI was snorkeling in CocoCay. In Alaska we did various activities not through the cruise line, and they were half the price of the lines, and just as great from what I heard from the others who went through the line.

We are about to embark on our 4th cruise and we usually do one excursion on each cruise. We are not super-adventurous to say the least, so usually its a beach break.

I do a ton of research before every cruise. Visit the ports of call boards--people give great suggestions. we are going on FOS to ports we haven't gone to yet so the only exursion we are doing and not through RCL is Capt. Bryan's snorkle and sting ray cause its different and cheaper than RCL and came highly recommended.

Heres what we usually do on the islands:

St. Martin--the first time we went there we lucked out and when we got a taxi we got a great guy named Franz who was the head of the police or somethign like that. gave us a great tour of the island and took us toOrient Beach which was great. We ate at this great restaurant called Kon Tiki and loved it. Recommend it but it can be expensive, great beach, some nudity if it bothers you. The shopping in town is also great, a nice mix of stores and kiosks. YOu don't need an excursion for either.

St. Thomas--first time did the tram tour, fun and a nice overview. Also great shopping. There is a beach that you can walk out and snorkle on--it may be called Koki or something like that. Other great beaches there too. Great shopping like st. martin.

Nassau--you can get a ferry to atlantis but its very touristy. Unless you hang at the beach-we didn't but should have. Straw market is fun.

I think you need taxi's with most of above.

Hope this helps!

It depends on what I'm looking for on the cruise and whether I've been to the port before. Because I'm close to the West Coast, our previous cruises have been short hops to Ensenada, Mexico. There is nothing--absolutely nothing--I need/want to see or shop for there. If the ship stops in Catalina, we'll get off there and go snorkeling. We tend to take those cruises when we need to practice the adage, "If you can't relax on a cruise, you can't relax anywhere!"

However, on our upcoming cruise to the Caribbean, we do have excursions planned at every port. This time, we're doing them through the ship. If we return to those same ports, I'd probably branch out on my own.

If it's a familiar port or you're just really in need of relaxation, there's nothing like the ship on a port day. Absolutely relaxing.

Hi there,

Sounds like you have the same itinerary as we did; just got off Explorer's Eastern Caribbean run 2 weeks ago and had a blast. I did write a review and I will post the link below; it may offer a little help. :)

We did no excursions this cruise; we did our research online before leaving and knew what we wanted to do in only one port - St. Maarten. We desperately wanted to go to Maho Beach and watch the planes land right over our heads. However, we had torrential rain that day and it wasn't meant to be.

The other ports we decided to play it by ear; there was some good information in the Cruise Compass every night, to plan the next day's course of action. In both St. Thomas and Nassau, we had no plans whatsoever yet found ourselves in a taxi in both ports (one bus, one water taxi), and on our way to the beach. I didn't mention the price of the water taxi to Paradise Island in my review - it was $6.00 per person, round trip. Also, once they drop you, it's a fair hike to the actual public beach, more so than we realized (about 20 minutes walk).

It's very warm, regadless of how sunny it is. Take bottled water with you into ports; you can buy the bottled water on the ship, but it's expensive. There should be vending machines or corner stores if you want to take a chance and buy it in port.

Have fun!

My review ---> http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=18217

~Karen

On our first cruise we did excursions at every port. They were good but it was way too scheduled for a vacation.

From that cruise on, we do our own thing. Usually we take taxis and ask the drivers what they like about their island, what they recommend we see, etc. They ask questions about what we like and they usually have great ideas. Plus it's nice to talk with a person who lives there.

I can't imagine anyone disliking St. Thomas. I think the view from the top of the mountain (the tip top, not the top of the tram) is one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen.

I agree with the previous posters. Even though I've only been on a couple cruises, we always go on our own. With some research and planning it can be quite easy. It is much less expensive and you can see as much or little as you want. I'm one who likes to have a choice and able to go at my own pace. The best experiences are found off the beaten path, where you can get a real flavor of the place(s) you are visiting. Also, to me, it is much more of an adventure:cool: !

Just curious if anyone just wanders around at the ports with no specific activities planned? What is there to do in St. Thomas, St. Marteen and Nassau if you don't plan an excursion?

Do we have to take a taxi to get somewhere or are there things within walking distance?

Get your information ahead of time. The ship doesn't have decent maps of the destinations - just the shopping maps. In St. Maarten we rented a car and drove to the French side of the island. Did some shopping - bought some hard to find eaux de vie and some french children's books for my French classes.

We live near the beach, so the beaches aren't a big deal to us, but if you have a car you can drive to whichever beach you want.

In Nassau, you can walk around the historic part of town. It's been a LONG time, but on my college cruises I never did a paid excursion. Climbed the Queen's Steps, that kind of thing.

If you want to sight-see on your own, at the very least find out how to get to the local visitor's information center. I know it's not a port you asked about, but in San Juan we were able to get a great map with walking routes to both the forts plotted out, plus information about where it was safe and not safe to walk. It was a very nice day, and cost a couple of bottles of water and the admissions to the forts.

Again, my MAJOR suggestion is DON'T count on getting ANY decent information from the ship. Do some homework ahead of time, (like you're doing here, but also get maps and/or look at some travel books for the destinations) and plan to visit the tourist offices first thing. They are there to help you.

Have a great time!

I have now been to St. Thomas twice. No shore excursions, I usually shop. Take a taxi to town (I didn't think it was expensive). Usually share it with others and it is less expensive. Hit the liquor store first for some Virgin Islands Rum. I don't buy any other kind while I am there. If you hit it first, they will package it up and get it back on ship for you. Very nice. There are also some great places to eat. Last time we did an Italian place in the shopping area...can't remember the name of it. But I had a carribean jerk chicken pizza with papaya and pineapple. YUM! We also took the tram ride to the top and watched the bird show. Take cab to town and then everything is walking.

St. Marteen we are going to in Oct. I am not sure if I am going to do an excursion yet. It may be a day similar to St. Thomas where we explore on our own. Don't know if walking distance.

Nassau I would do on my own. It is not that large. We did a tour the first two times. Now I am comfortable enough to do my own. Walking distance.

Just make sure you do alot of research. I do a combination of cruise guide (book) and online. Also the threads here for each destination (port) are extremely helpful. There are even some posters that live in that area and are very nice and helpful.

Enjoy your ports!

I don't believe taxis are expensive in St.Thomas. Megans bay is a long way and a $6.00 cab ride.You will find about any activity you like there, beautiful beaches,tram rides, shopping or take a cab to Red Hook, see the boats have lunch. We did an all day sailboat from Red Hook, six people and we sailed to another island, swam snorkeled, great lunch prepared on the boat, unlimited drinks, would do it again in a heartbeat, cost $125.00 each but well worth it, a great day. You do need reservations.Have fun

Took a cab to Coki beach 3 years ago and it was 7 pp each way. We are a family of 5 so that adds to 70 plus tip. It was a horrible day there--ended up the last 15 min before we were to leave we got robbed of our stuff on the beach. I moved the kids from one side of a tree to another so they were not in the sun and did not move our bags with them. Went back not even a min later to find them gone, along with another couple from another ship also finding their stuff missing too. We had no money to pay the cab driver who came back for us. The police took us back to the ship after filing a report. That taints any future stop at St. Thomas for us.

I don't really like to do the excursions Royal Caribbean offers. You can usually do them on your own for much cheaper, but the late people and the structure kindof gets to me. Our familiy sees our inport time as our time, and we can always find something to do. I would reccomend doing the Rhino Riders however, if you're to go on an excursion.

I believe we paid $14.00 each round trip to go to Megans Bay in a shared cab. That was in October.
We took the open type van that held at least 12 or so was $6.00 each plus $3.00 park entry. May have been cheaper because it holds more.There are a lot of different types of transportation to choose from at the dock.

Took a cab to Coki beach 3 years ago and it was 7 pp each way. We are a family of 5 so that adds to 70 plus tip. It was a horrible day there--ended up the last 15 min before we were to leave we got robbed of our stuff on the beach. I moved the kids from one side of a tree to another so they were not in the sun and did not move our bags with them. Went back not even a min later to find them gone, along with another couple from another ship also finding their stuff missing too. We had no money to pay the cab driver who came back for us. The police took us back to the ship after filing a report. That taints any future stop at St. Thomas for us.
Coki beach is very different from Megans Bay, much more crowded and commercial. Sorry for your bad luck.

Archived