Denali Natl park to Whittier - Best option?

tbenson81

Drive. But I cringe at your "quickest" reference. Alaska should never be "quick". :)

If you are picking up the car in Anchorage, only Avis and Harleys have Whittier drop off. Allow 7 hours for the drive with brief stops, not including tunnel time.

Isnt there a train or something that goes to whittier from Denali?

Nope, not in the same day. You would have to get to Anchorage, easy to do, then wait until the next day and take the train Anchorage/Denali 8 hours.

Your "quickest" reference isn't going to go with this option.

As I have already said, your best option if you have to be there the same day is to get a one way car rental Whittier/Anchorage and drive directly from Whittier to Denali Park.

If you are on a Princess Cruise Tour, the Midnight Sun Express has a southbound and northbound train on Sat. and Mon.

Whittier - Denali

Denali - Whittier

Actually ARRTrain, you're correct, however that option is only available to people who have booked cruise tours thru Princess. If an independent wants to take the Princess train they have to leave from Anchorage which would mean an they would have to at least leave the next morning.

My daughter is actually working for Princess this summer and she's doing the Whittier to Denali run for the first time tomorrow. She's not looking forward to getting up way early in order to get to Whittier, but a small price since she's having the time of her life living in Anchorage!

We are sailing on the Summit on August 5th and doing a pre-land tour leaving on July 28th. We will be riding on her trains, so we're especially looking forward to the trip! The bummer is that we were to be leaving yesterday on the Summit but all that changed with their mechanical problems.

The good news however is that I'm really looking forward to being in Alaska later in the season!

We had the same problem. We are taking a motor coach from Denali to Anchorage arriving at 1:30 pm at the Anchorage Museum for a brief tour which is included in the ticket price and then picking up our stored luggage. Then we are taking the Magic Bus from Anchorage to Whittier. We arrive around 4:30 p.m. Renting a car would have been an option; however, we wanted to take the train to Denali.

The Alaska RR does a very nice job and has great trains. BUT the Anchorage/Denali Park portion is long and in my opinion the least scenic. It also just about parallels the Parks Highway. So really no advantage taking it. You do need to allow extra time if going via rail. And http://www.toursaver.com has a coupon this year.

It's amazing how we can come away with different perspectives...

Last year in late May we traveled from Fairbanks to Anchorage one leg at a time on seperate days. In my opinion the leg between Denali and Talkeetna as absolutely beautiful, and my favorite. Could it have been the time of the year, since the ice was breaking up on the water along the track? Anyway, it was a great trip, and the views from the train were fantastic.

Since we'll now be experiencing Alaska later, I'm very much looking forward to Alaska in a different season!

It's amazing how we can come away with different perspectives...

Last year in late May we traveled from Fairbanks to Anchorage one leg at a time on seperate days. In my opinion the leg between Denali and Talkeetna as absolutely beautiful, and my favorite. Could it have been the time of the year, since the ice was breaking up on the water along the track? Anyway, it was a great trip, and the views from the train were fantastic.

Since we'll now be experiencing Alaska later, I'm very much looking forward to Alaska in a different season!

You have made one trip via rail and not used the road??? They are extremely similar. Sorry if I am wrong about this???

The Alaska rail road is an excellent option especially with the current http://www.toursaver.com coupon. I am just making a comparism having done both many times. The rail is limiting in missing everything in between stops, of which I prefer. I have spent a great deal of time just "looking" pulled off the road, whether it be McKinley or a group of swans, it's all beauty to me. Both are great modes of travel.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help

Just to sum things up - we are arriving in Anchorage about 4 days before our princess cruise that leaves from Whittier. To save money, we want to book independelty. I really dont want to bother with renting a car.

We want to spend a couple nights at Denali and maybe Princess's lodge at Mt Mkinely.

Would our best bet, to be to take the railway up there and then back to acnhorage and the morning of the cruise - take a different railway to whittier from Anchorage?

Is there any rail system that goes to the Princess Mckinely lodge or does it just go to the one in Denali. Thanks everyone

On Sat. and Mon. Princess does charter a train from the ARR. It goes from Whittier to Talkeetna, drops off and picks up passengers that have a cruise tour package and then returns to Whittier. You would have to check with Princess to see if space is available, if you are not on a Princess Cruise Tour Package.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help

Just to sum things up - we are arriving in Anchorage about 4 days before our princess cruise that leaves from Whittier. To save money, we want to book independelty. I really dont want to bother with renting a car.

We want to spend a couple nights at Denali and maybe Princess's lodge at Mt Mkinely.

Would our best bet, to be to take the railway up there and then back to acnhorage and the morning of the cruise - take a different railway to whittier from Anchorage?

Is there any rail system that goes to the Princess Mckinely lodge or does it just go to the one in Denali. Thanks everyone

If you want to only go by train- you would leave Anchorage around 8am and get off in Talkeetna. There would have to be a princess shuttle running- which you would have to check on your self to their lodge. It is 50 miles one way. Next day back to Talkeetna and train to Denali Park arriving around 4pm, you would need TWO nights here. Book mid day park SHUTTLE to Fish Creek. VERIFY princess lodge's shuttle schedule. Next morning board train noon, back to Anchorage arriving 8pm. Last day train leaving 10am to Whittier.

But hopefully this shows you that with only 4 days, way too much time is in transit. Superior would be for you to rent a car. Then you go direct to Talkeetna, overnight, see all the sights along the way. 2 nights in Denali Park, back to Anchorage 1 night, next day to Whittier. Far better options for freedom of touring, meals, transportation at Denali Park etc.

Archived