Just got off Mercury May 8-May 19

luvthis

Bob & I just returned home from the May 8-May 19 Alaskan repositioning cruise on the Mercury. Embarkation and dis-embarkation was a mess and very frustrating. However, the rest of the cruise was truly enjoyable. The weather was exceptionally clear and sunny. The ports welcomed us with open arms and the food, service, staff, and entertainment was greatly appreciated.

The captain that was arrested was very handsome and young (I'm guessing around 40-45 years old). He was personable, spoke excellent English, and carried himself with confidence and pride. Our voyage was a smooth one, and there was never a hint of a problem regarding him or any other officer. We felt safe and secure under his authority.

With that said, I am thankful there are set rules of the sea and if the captain tested over the alcohol limit, I applaud the quick response of the Coast Guard and Celebrity's immediate dismissal of his command. There were over 1800 passengers on our voyage, plus 900 staff members. The captain knew the rules and regulations and he chose to disregard them. For that, he must be relieved of his duties. No excuse is acceptable. He tested over the limit no one forced him to drink! He must go.

The cruise director, Stuart, originally had been told he would be sailing on Mercury to Alaska all summer, but due to a problem with another CD sailing the Mediterranian itinerary, Stuart was informed shortly after the onset of the May 8 cruise that he would be transferred to the Mediterranean itinerary at the end of the May 8-May 19 voyage. He expressed to me that although he loved the Mediterranean, he was disappointed that he being transferred back to that itinerary. He said the Mercury was his favorite Celebrity ship and that Alaska was one of his favorite routes. The skies must have been looking out for him, because we had beautiful weather throughout the cruise and each port told us we brought the good weather with us because prior to our arrival, the days had been rainy, foggy, windy, and cold.

I ask that all those reading this board to please not judge Celebrity or its cruise product as a whole, due to the captain's choice to drink when he knew he would be breaking rules. One person does not determine a whole cruise line's reputation. If someone were to listen and believe every negative statement on these boards, they'd think Celebrity offers a sub-standard product with old, dirty ships and uncaring staff and management. That simply is unfair and untrue. Yes, there are problems, but problems can happen for all of us at any given time!

We had a fabulous time. The food was good. The staff was friendly. The ship was clean (no bleach). The shows were entertaining. The room was comfortable (yes, there were a few thread bare spots on the furniture, but so what?!?). The lounges were well maintained. The decks clean. The spa warm and luxurious. The exercise equipment appeared to be working well. Windows and veranda plexiglass could have used a good cleaning, but considering the challenge of getting Mercury back in shape after the noro-virus, they have come a long way.

People...life is what you make of it. Do you look at a glass and see it half full or half empty? There were several passengers on the ship that did nothing but complain. What a miserable way to go through life. When the clouds pass over the sun, do you see partly sunny skies, or partly cloudy skies?

Thank you Celebrity! There were definately some problems with getting on and off this cruise, but sometimes s _ _ _ happens and Bob & I chose to move on and not dwell. In all parts of life, sometimes unexpected bad things happen. Shame on those that condemn an entire voyage rather than grabbing on the the many, many, wonderful events and memories experienced.

The captain had to go. Mercury will sail successfully and the new CD will lead the activities and the weekly cycle will continue to Alaska this summer. Don't miss Alaska! We didn't see much wildlife (luck of the draw I guess), but we did see a magnitude of wilderness that cannot be explained or comprehended thru pictures. You MUST go and see it yourself!!

My thoughts...I wouldn't hesitate to sail on Mercury again or any other Celebrity vessel, including the Summit that had engine problems at the same time we were sailing on Mercury. That's another whole story that I will leave up to those sailing on Summit to address.

Best,

--Jean & Bob, Racine, Wisconsin

Jean and Bob, thank you for sharing a very balanced review with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruise. My wife and I sailed Celebrity six times in the 1990's on all of the ships they had back then including the Mercury. We then tried other cruise lines up until sailing on the Summit this past March. We enjoyed the cruise a great deal.

I couldn't agree with you more. One can look at the glass as half full or half empty and we prefer it to be half full. Given that we cruise to have a good time as it's our vacation we prefer to focus on what's good about the cruise.

Welcome home and thanks again for your review.

Keith

Hi Jean & Bob !

Thanks for the wonderful review. By the way, I totally agree, with the glass being half full theory. Things go a lot better for you, if you can keep the positive thoughts going :)

just curious as we heard the CD making announcements while we waited at dockside to see Mercury leave last Friday night ... Australian or British voice ... didn't hear him introduce himself. (Dru Pavlov was the CD on Mercury when we sailed Seattle-Alaska last summer, best CD ever, I read here that he's on Millennium at last report?)

wondering,

TR

Archived