Transatlantic cruises

Sipsey

Frommer's travel column in the Sunday newspaper about transatlantic repositioning cruises struck a chord with my wife, and yesterday I reserved a spot on the Jewel for next year when it travels from Miami to Athens. She is very excited about a 15 night cruise, however I have several concerns.

1) The most time we have ever spent on a cruise is 5 nights. There was a lot to cram into that amount of time, so it never got boring. To start with, there's 7 days at sea before you get to the first port. I can see me lugging along a bunch of paperbacks.

2) After reading the thread about food and drinks, I am concerned about running up a huge bartab for very few drinks. We're not that picky about food, but it would be bad if we had to eat substandard food for two weeks.

3) Tips. I figure this is going to be a big item for that many days.

4) I can't really get a handle on airfare prices, as it's so far in advance. We would have to fly from Birmingham to Miami, and back home from Athens. I am thinking $1600-2000 for airfare maybe?

I'm not sure there's a real question in here anywhere, but if anyone has any thoughts about this, especially something I haven't thought about already, please comment. The ports of call are Madeira Island, the port of Rome, Naples, and Athens. 3 days at sea in the Med, 7 on the Atlantic makes for a total of 10 days at sea out of 15 for the cruise.

I have to make a down payment by Friday night to reserve my cabin.

Transatlantic Crossings are very relaxing with all those sea days. I will admit that I became a bit stir-crazy after about 4 days on the ship, but there should be plenty to keep you occupied.

I love the Madiera islands, very clean, beautiful and interesting place.

Airfare might be pricey, just shop around!

I have to make a down payment by Friday night to reserve my cabin.

The good news is that this is fully refundable, if you find the other aspects of the trip are not affordable.

Having just returned from the Jewel Transatlantic...all I can say is that if I had unlimited vacation time and funds, I would book every Transatlantic sailing I could.

I'll be posting a full review, but in the meantime:

1) The most time we have ever spent on a cruise is 5 nights. There was a lot to cram into that amount of time, so it never got boring. To start with, there's 7 days at sea before you get to the first port. I can see me lugging along a bunch of paperbacks.

I brought 2 paperbacks and 2 magazines. I never opened any of them until I was on the return flight home. And then I was so tired, I just put them back into my carry-on and went to sleep.

2) After reading the thread about food and drinks, I am concerned about running up a huge bartab for very few drinks. We're not that picky about food, but it would be bad if we had to eat substandard food for two weeks.

The food was awesome on the Jewel and with all of the dining choices we did not get bored. We never ate in any of the main dining rooms, but only the specialty restaurants. Our bar tab was average (we're not huge drinkers anyway), because remember, the last part of your cruise, you're going to be in port every day.

3) Tips. I figure this is going to be a big item for that many days

You just have to factor them in and budget for it. You already know what it's going to be, so just include them. We had a suite and also tipped our butler and concierge. We also tipped extra at most of the restaurants and for bar services. That's how GREAT we though everyone was onboard! :)

4) I can't really get a handle on airfare prices, as it's so far in advance. We would have to fly from Birmingham to Miami, and back home from Athens. I am thinking $1600-2000 for airfare maybe?

We actually got better air from NCL. You should tell them you want air through them, and then price it seperately. You can always drop the air package if you re-book on your own. Better you get the air early, because sometimes NCL does not offer it later.

The ports are great. Madiera was beautiful. We had our own driver meet us in Florence and Rome. The weather was beautiful and we could lay out at the pool almost every day. There were only a couple of days it was too windy and chilly. We ate...we slept...we rested..we played trivia...we gambled...we ate...we ate some more....we ate again....we drank...we slept...we ate some more...and we met the best damn set of Officers, Staff and Crew afloat anywhere!!!!

BOOK IT! :)

Have fun..

Michele

I'm on the Dream TA in september and the price for air from NCLwas 1/3 what I could get it for on my own. Actually though, I could have got it cheaper by buying round trip tickets and throwing away the other half. :confused:

I have to agree with the other posters. The DW and I are booked on the return Jewel Transatlantic in 2007. (Barcelona to Miami) We priced the air out on our own and then with NCL. The cruiseline was less than 1/3 of anyone else. If you add in the transfer from airport to ship and ship to airport it's becomes an even better deal.

We have used cruise line air several times and it is true that the routing may not be the most convenient, multiple stops, poor choice of times etc, but I can put up with a bit of bother to save that kind of money.

Inspector Gadget

Just booked my second transatlantic on NCL. This one on the Pearl, 10 days, no ports, perfect:) I did the Jewel last fall when they brought the ship to the states.

There is never enough time on sea days to do everything. I think it takes the first 4 or 5 days just to get in the cruise state of mind.

As posted you have plenty of time to make a final decision. You can put down a deposit, lock up the cabin you want, but get it all back should you change your mind.

I would sooner rather then later look at NCL air. It includes transfers and on repositioning cruises may be far and away the best deal. Transfer can be very expensive or complicated overseas.

In my case there is not cheap and easy way to get from London to Dover. The cheapest is perhaps a bus from the airport to the city. Cab to the train station, train to Dover, cab to the ship. A private car service is north of 200 pounds sterling NCL transfer direct from the airport $75. Air Tampa to London Miami to Tampa with transfers is $320 for New York just under $500.

Sipsey

Concern concern concern... sounds like modern problems to me:)

A cruise or any vacation for that matter is what you make it. We are going on the Jewel Oct 21st Barcelona to Miami. We booked our flight from state side to Europe via www.bt-store.com. They by far were cheaper because it's exp to get a one way flight.

I say if that's were you want to visit, go for it. You may just have the time of your life.

Lauren

In my case there is not cheap and easy way to get from London to Dover. The cheapest is perhaps a bus from the airport to the city. Cab to the train station, train to Dover, cab to the ship. A private car service is north of 200 pounds sterling NCL transfer direct from the airport $75.

Taxi drivers in Dover were quoting £150 to Heathrow a couple of weeks ago, fine if you're a party of 4.

The tube into central London and then train (2 per hour) to Dover would be the cheapest way of doing it provided you book 3 days in advance.

The coach London-Dover is £12 single.

Strange though how NCL give us (brits) a package deal which includes Car parking at Heathrow, coach transfer to Dover, Cruise,Tranfers in Miami including day room in hotel & overnight flight back to UK. Only problem is we have to wait untill they get round to it.:rolleyes:

We are doing the TA in October on the Jewel. Those that went across in April have just started posting reviews. Would strongly suggest you read some of the reviews posted in the REVIEWS secton and also find the roll calls for this years TA's. Lots of this information has been bantered about quite a bit.

I have to agree with the other posters. The DW and I are booked on the return Jewel Transatlantic in 2007. (Barcelona to Miami) We priced the air out on our own and then with NCL. The cruiseline was less than 1/3 of anyone else. If you add in the transfer from airport to ship and ship to airport it's becomes an even better deal.

We have used cruise line air several times and it is true that the routing may not be the most convenient, multiple stops, poor choice of times etc, but I can put up with a bit of bother to save that kind of money.

Inspector Gadget

Just back from the 4/30 Jewel Transatlantic and yes the NCL air fare was a much better deal. The transfers though were a NIGHTMARE....next time we'll be handling our own transfers. We were told when we arrived in Miami to go park ourselves somewhere because it would be about 2 hours before our bus was there to take us to the port (we arrived at Miami airport about 11AM). Due to the lack of coordination between the luggage transport and the airport in Barcelona we had to wait 15 to 20 minutes before we could collect our luggage from the ship's luggage transport truck (waiting on an inspector to oversee the offloading of the luggage from the truck) which almost made us miss our flight. The plane actually waited for us and we departed late (about 40 minutes) because we were actually waiting for 3 other people (2 of which had been on the Celebrity Millenium which was also in port that morning and were encountering similar problems). We'll take the airfare if it's a good deal next time but we'll definitely handle our own transportation to the ship and/or airport next time.

As far as sea days are concerned were were going a little stir crazy about day 4 and were not happy with the more sedate activities being offered. Trivia is ok, but seminars on handwriting, arthritis and teeth whitening as well as paper flower making and napkin folding were definitely "not our thing". Thank goodness we finally met with the CD (he missed the appt he set up with us) and we (along with some more of the under 50 group) discussed options and he was more than willing to include a couple of more fun activities (thank you Paul!)...we also gave him some ideas he hadn't heard about before that would work well with younger crowd for when the Jewel returns to the USA. Just be prepared that a transatlantic on the Jewel has about somewhere just under 2000 passengers...of our cruise there were 386 under the age of 50 (and under 60 years old didn't change the ratio that much either)...activities are obviously geared towards the predominate age group on board.

BTW, as far as tipping is concerned we had Outstanding service and our purse strings were definitely lighter by our choice because we handed out extra trips.

Just booked my second transatlantic on NCL. This one on the Pearl, 10 days, no ports, perfect:) I did the Jewel last fall when they brought the ship to the states.

There is never enough time on sea days to do everything. I think it takes the first 4 or 5 days just to get in the cruise state of mind.

As posted you have plenty of time to make a final decision. You can put down a deposit, lock up the cabin you want, but get it all back should you change your mind.

I would sooner rather then later look at NCL air. It includes transfers and on repositioning cruises may be far and away the best deal. Transfer can be very expensive or complicated overseas.

In my case there is not cheap and easy way to get from London to Dover. The cheapest is perhaps a bus from the airport to the city. Cab to the train station, train to Dover, cab to the ship. A private car service is north of 200 pounds sterling NCL transfer direct from the airport $75. Air Tampa to London Miami to Tampa with transfers is $320 for New York just under $500.

Shoreguy, we used mercurycars@btinternet.com and they were great. 130L sterling.

Shoreguy, we used mercurycars@btinternet.com and they were great. 130L sterling.

That is a great rate $ 244 US or $122 pp. That leaves $200 for air to London, transfers from Miami and air from Miami to Tampa to be equal to the cost from NCL. Granted the private transfers are far better then the coaches from NCL.

Archived