westerdam review may14, 2006

lorenweeks

Rather than waste time and energy re: your additional port charge or whatever it was due to the change in itinerary (which I have to agree is well within HAL's rights per the contract), what you CAN do is dispute what you paid for your shore excursion (if in fact that was paid for with your card). If you did not get the services you paid for, I know at least VISA will let you dispute those charges.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your Westerdam experience. We are leaving this coming Sunday and are very excited. We sailed on her second voyage (May 2004) in Europe, our first cruise ever, and it was a stellar trip in every sense of the word. We chose HAL for this trip specifically because of that first experience and anticipate it will be repeated.

Our cruise on Celebrity this past Thanksgiving, however, left some things to be desired and I wasn't terribly impressed with their customer service on board or at the home office. So your experience isn't limited to HAL by any means. I bet if you poll enough people, you will find someone to complain about every ship/company out there. It's not a perfect world (and this from a perfectionist!).

MIssed the Java Cafe and do not feel $l for a cup of tea or $1.75 for coffee is a good move on HAL's part,did not see anyone using this new cafe or the Pinnacle Grill. WE learned on our last 33 day cruise from Seattle to Tampa via the Amazon that shore excursions thru HAL is a total waste of money and good luck getting a refund on tours that you are notsatisfied with or do not provide what has been advertised.

I agree to some degree with your evaluation of HAL shore excursions. In some cases, they are way too high priced for what you get. In Raiteria I took a bus tour to a marae. Paid something like $79. On the buses, all you could hear were comments like "I paid $79 for this?" It was an open air bus ... hard wooden bench seats ... no air conditioning ... the buses were actually the same ones used to transport the children to school during the week. Once at the marae, we got an informative talk and some fruit and water. That's it. I think that tour would have been a good one priced at maybe $39 ... but $79? For what we got? Of course, as was your experience, no refunds were issued. "The brochure says open air bus," the shore excursion lady advised us ... when there was this huge line at the shore excursion desk asking for a refund.

But then ... on the other hand ... some people attended a luau in Honolulu and got royally ripped off. The place was packed ... they clearly overbooked this event ... and some people had absolutely no view of the stage from where they sat. The food was supposedly horrible and barely edible, probably because it took so long to get everyone served that it got cold sitting out. The show, which was why many people booked ... they could have probably dealt with the crappy food ... had to be cut short because it rained. All in all, a lot of complaining passengers when those buses returned to the ship. I believe everyone was given a 25% refund on that excursion ... though if the trip was that bad, I don't think I would have been satisfied with anything less than 50%.

After my trip this past January on the Amsterdam, and having booked mostly HAL shore excursions for the entire 30-day voyage, I think in the future I will be a bit more adventuresome and book my own independently. I think in most cases you get far more value for your dollar than you do when you go "cattle car" with 200 of your closest friends. However, I will say that in some cases booking on your own is not really possible ... at least not for popular activities like snorkling or very popular sightseeing tours. If a tour provider has two boats for snorkling trips, frequently the cruise line will actually charter those boats for its tour participants. Therefore, even if the cost to book independently would be cheaper, you won't be able to get a reservation for the day your ship is in port because the cruise line will have the boats locked up. You either book through them, or you don't go at all. This is what we encountered in Maui with a snorkling excursion. A few of the people onboard the Pacific Whale Foundation boat were grousing about how much they paid for the trip ... compared to what it normally sold for. But, they said that when they went to book it independently, they found that they could only book the whale watching tour ... no snorkling on that trip. Why? Because the two boats they used for the snorkling trip were chartered out to HAL for that day. Gotcha!

As for the Explorations Cafe and the coffee drinks, my experience on the Amsterdam was much different. Lots of people, including myself, were patronizing that bar. The specialty coffees were not the same thing you could get say up in the Lido ... they were clearly premium drinks ... and lots of people were buying them. The price, at least to me, was very, very reasonable.

Blue skies ...

--rita

im sure if you read the ad for the best of juneau it clearly states one hour at the mendehall glacier, followed by the whale boat and then the salmon lunch

and also the ad states you get to enjoy the visitor center

the bus driver told us, 30 minutes and the visitor center was a seperate admission Ours was not a seperate admission. We got a ticket stub on the bus fron the guide and this was the admisson in. No extra charge. I guess you got screwed.

well we didnt get the glacier tour we paid for, but we definately got to ride around in the parking lot of some alaksa college

i suppose you didnt complain either

Of course I complained to the tour director, but got the same blow of answer like everyone else I assume gets. Did not let it ruin my trip however.

i know for a fact 5 people on my bus did go to the shore desk and express concerns

and they got the same dumb blank stre and the same promise i got to look into it and call the cabin

well that call never came

hal took the money for the shore excursions, they are responsible for its content

they owe everyone somw type of refund

also did your whale boat out the hydraphone down to listen to whales as the ad says

No it did not, but actually did not remember until you reminded me on this board. Mabe the bad weather had something to do with it. Did enjoy the tour however

ours sure didnt

i guess thatw as an extra charge as well

Our trip started with the boat tour, Mendehall Glacier, Salmon bake. Slighty different order than yours.

My wife and I sailed on the 5/7 Westerdam. It was without question the best of our combined 12 cruises on several cruiselines despite the cold and rough seas. It amazes me how some cruisers expect perfection and allow relatively petty issues ruin their vacations. A meltdown over $12.50 reminds me of Captain Queeg's strawberries. Sheesh.

We were on the same cruise Westerdam 5/14-21, and came away feeling exactly as Lorenweeks did. I was waiting for someone else to post the review because I wasn't sure how to approach it.

We experienced ALL of the negative things he reported, plus a few more. All requests and/or complaints were met with indifference. Never once did ANYONE go "beyond the call" to make the experience better.

We have cruised many times on RCI and once on Windstar. From what we had heard and read, we expected HAL to be a step above our previous cruise experiences, but we were sorely disappointed.

Some of the things that are NOT better on HAL compared to RCI:

The food (both in the dining room and the buffet area) The first night my DH had the salmon and it was FULL of bones -- he couldn't even eat it. When he brought it up, the person said "well, it comes that way." No offer for another entree, nothing!

The buffet was disappointing, unless you like eating basically the same thing every day. The choices were very limited and not much variation from day to day. Plus, they ran out of everything HOURS before the buffet was supposed to close, and they would not re-stock. I mean, if they were to be open from 11:30 to 5:00 (the deli area) they would be out of half the items by 1:00 and too bad for you! Others have already posted about the long slow lines in this area. That is never an issue on RCI. You don't have to wait in a 20 minute line to get one item at the end of that line. You just go directly to the thing you want and get it.

The service (RCI staff are way more friendly and acommodating) You always got the feeling that you were being a pain in their butt if you asked for anything that was not already on your plate or on your table. Or else they would just say "it doesn't come with that" -- RCI bends over backward to bring you ANYTHING you want - sometimes before you even think of wanting it!

The ship -- Westerdam was not nicer or better than any RCI ship we have been on. The general staff all over the ship did not seem to like their jobs very much. Nor did they try to hide it.

The ONLY thing we found about HAL that is perhaps better than RCI was the beds...yes they are truly wonderful.

Of course, it's impossible to NOT have fun in Alaska! Alaska is a fabulous itinerary, even though we also prefer Hubbard to Glacier Bay. And ANY cruise is better than NO cruise! We just found we were not happy or impressed with HAL or Westerdam, it did not live up to the reputation of being better than RCI, so we will be going back to RCI.

If anyone has specific questions about anything, I'll try to answer.

happy wednesday!

sarahjane

sarahjane,

I am very sorry about your bad experience aboard the Westerdam. After reading your comments on the roll call for your cruise, I was certain that you and your DH would have the time of your life. My DW and I sailed aboard the Westerdam the week prior to your sailing and had a wonderful time. I noticed that you were comparing HAL with RCI: if you prefer RCI, then that is the cruise line that you should stick with. No one should be miserable, especially on a cruise. Certainly, no one cruise line will ever be able to please everyone. I've sailed with RCI myself and while I wasn't pleased with everything, I wasn't critical about everything either; I simply have never cruised with RCI since. I certainly hope your next cruise will be more to your liking.

Heh heh...you guys who didn't like your Alaska cruise should do like we are.....visiting our daughter who lives in Alaska! We're doing all the stuff the cruiselines offer and then some. Of course, we love cruising and were all set to book an Alaska one when she announced 2 yrs ago that she was moving up there.

We've been on 3 Holland cruises to the Caribbean and have never had a problem with any shore excursions booked through them. When weather became an issue, the excursion we had booked was cancelled. We were refunded every dime. I don't think a ride in a submarine that is pitching back & forth would be much fun anyway! I couldn't believe how many people were at the front desk complaining about their disappointment and wanting MORE back to compensate for it. I mean, how exactly is Holland supposed to control the weather?

As for being pressured to buy drinks, we were on the Veendam last month and they would come to our dinner table, ask if anyone wanted drinks and if you said "No", they didn't bother you again. I love my hot tea with dinner and it was promptly provided every night.

My husband and I love Holland cruises and will probably cruise our next trip with them too.

My friend and I just got back from the 5/14/06 Westerdam sailing. We had a fabulous time. Our travel agent gave us a gift of the Pinnacle Grill, and the food was great, as was the service! Our room steward also gave us a bottle of wine, and he always greeted us by name every time he saw us, he kept our room exceptionally clean, and always left us a cute towel animal, along with a piece of delicious chocolate on our beds. We had room service every day for breakfast, and it always arrived about 15 minutes early, and it was always perfect. We even had milk and cookies at night, and it wasn't a problem for them to bring such a small order. We also ordered a cheese tray, and we got real crackers with it -- not graham crackers. We had the early upper sitting in the Vista dining room. We had no problem with vibration or noise. Our waiters always had our drinks waiting for us when we arrived, and they sang to us in their native tongue. They seemed to really love their jobs! We were never pressured to buy drinks. In fact, one time I bought one drink and got charged for two. I went to the front desk, and they took both drinks off my charge. They had also gone down on their prices after we made final payment. We were told that we would get a shipboard credit. I got the credit on my bill, but my traveling partner didn't. I mentioned it to them at the front desk, and it was on her final bill. Also, my friend had cruised with Holland America before, but this was my first Holland America cruise. We both got the HAL bags, and we both got the HAL tiles. I was surprised! We did go to the Lido, but it was only crowded when so many people got back on the boat after being in port, and they all wanted to eat as soon as they got back on. We didn't have to stand in line very long, but we did have trouble getting silverware one night. I loved being able to wear jeans on casual night. Jeans were not listed as a no-no for casual night. As for the singer, magician, and the comedianne -- we really liked the comedianne. She was really funny. I'm just sorry that Lorenweeks doesn't like fat people. As for Drew, the Cruise Director, we thought he was really funny and had a great personality. As for Glacier Bay, we booked in November 2005, and it was always stated that we would be going there. The one thing I really like about Holland America is their beds. I honestly think that it was the most comfortable bed I had ever slept in. We booked only two excursions through HAL -- the Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan and the Horse-Drawn Carriage in Victoria. We loved the Lumberjack Show, but the Horse-Drawn Carriage wasn't great, but I am sure that some people probably liked it. People have different tastes. We did book Captain Larry through Orca Enterprises in Juneau. We saw lots of whales, sea lions, and bald eagles. It was a fantastic excursion. I hope this helps some people on their decision to use Holland America. I can't help but think that Lorenweeks must have had a bad week!

I almost booked this but instead booked the Oosterdam for the day before. You said to check the brochure, that you were right , so I did. According to mine, you are incorrect. We almost booked the Westerdam because it was going to Glacier Bay. We picked the Oosterdam because it spent more time in the inland passage. On page 93 of the 2006 Alaska brochure it has two columns; the left side for Glacier Bay and the right side for Hubbard Glacier. Top left is the Zaandam and top right is the Oosterdam. Bottom left and right are both for the Westerdam. On the left it shows the Westerdam going to Glacier Bay on May 7, 14, 28. On the right it shows the Westerdam going to Hubbard Glacier on May 21. I also checked the website and it shows the same thing. If you show something different, please let me know on what page or where on the website you are seeing this. I personally think you got the better deal going to Glacier Bay.

It's too bad you weren't on the Oosterdam. I had great service, especially with the Shore Excursions Office. They bent over backwards to get me the excursions I wanted, even calling the local tour operator for the Historic Gold Mine tour and getting me on a tour with Princess ships (they even stopped by to pick me up) because I wanted to go so badly and HAL's tour left before my other HAL tour got back. And after doing that for me, I realized I wouldn't have time to use our Tramway tickets so the SO office refunded them for me. My only complaint on the trip was that I'd heard so much about the waiters learning right away what you liked and had it there for you. I tried three nights getting icedtea with dinner and had to ask three times each night. I finally gave up and drank water. If that was my biggest complaint, then I guess I had a pretty good cruise.

Just received my docs for Westerdam 6/25.

My contract says the cruise line can increase the fare at any time up to the initial departure. I have the right to cancel within 7 days up to the time of initial departure, and they will refund my fare with no cancellation fees. Once the ship departs, no cancellation. And, as was pointed out in a previous post, if taxes or fees increase, they can be passed on to me with no right of cancellation.

If the OP's contract is the same as mine, the 7-day rule applies only up to the time of the ship's departure.

A couple of years ago I read a couple of grumbling comments about the Oosterdam right before I sailed on her maiden canal crossing. I was a little bit concerned, but then the cruise turned out to be fantastic.

So much depends on attitude. I was on the Celebration some years ago when the A/C in the stateroom stopped working (in the hot Caribbean), and Carnival's food reminded me of Country Buffet, but my friends and I still managed to have a great time on the cruise anyway. (The Celebration caught fire the following week and sat adrift for several days. Glad I missed that one!)

I'm still looking forward to my upcoming Westerdam cruise. I keep the salt shaker handy as I read online.

We will be on the Westerdam tomorrow so I hope I experience a different dining room than some of you apparently did. No Lido for us. I also like to be served. We have been on 2 RCI ships and both had really marginal food. Had fabulous food on several Carnival ships. Worst ever on MSC Lirica in Jan. Pretty awful on Oceania's Insignia. However, the food is not everything and we had a great time on the Lirica anyway. I am just hoping for some decent weather. Otherwise, I plan to have a ball.

We just returned from the westerdam (today)- and I just posted my review. ITA with other posters who had somthing other than the vacation of a lifetime (and echo every comment on the food). The 12.50 surcharge was hardly a blip on my screen... however a week filled with little variety, and barely edible food- across the board- will. Sorry HAL, we'll probably book elsewhere (or skip the cruise all together) next time. Had high hopes and they were not met.

Our family is on the 6/4 sailing. We have never been to Alaska but have been on many cruises in the Caribbean and the Greek Isles. How difficult was it to get tours at the docks? We usually do this in the Caribbean but thought we would book tours through the ship. After reading these posts, we are having second thoughts about booking on board.

Did anyone try the kayaking excursion? That looked like lost of fun. We also though we would take the tram in Juneau and see the Totem pole show in Sitka.

It sounds like the weather can be unpredicatable. Any good tips for clothing we should be sure to include would be terrific. The only thing our travel agent told us was to be sure to pack bug spray.

shg - It is gettng close isn't it.

I hadn't heard that about the bug spray. One more thing I need to add to my list. Did you have a guarantee cabin or selected one? We are still waiting to hear what cabin we got on our SZ guarantee.

We have got our tours booked. Some local and some with HA.

Really surprised to hear on this post that the weather was so warm. When I look at their weather forecast for that area it looks like around 60. Thought that would be pretty cool on the water.

Sure looking forward to next weekend. Arrive in Seattle on the 3rd.

Hope to see some of the ones who posted on CC.

Shirl

We just got back from the Oosterdam on the 20th. Our first cruise. Everything I'd read on the boards said bring something like a fleece line waterproof jacket and sweaters, shirts, etc. for layering - layering was the key. Thats ok for in the ports but on the ship I wish I'd had a heavy jacket (maybe my winter jacket). I did bring wool gloves and hat which I wore all the time on deck. I liked walking the promenade deck and when th ship is going 24 knots it gets pretty windy, so the 50's can feel pretty cold. I ended up wearing two medium jackets with a windbreaker over it plus hat and gloves. I was ok just layering in ports. Hope you have as much fun as we did.

we were on westerdam may 7th cruise... we had the later seating (8:15) so i think we were upper... I can't remember!!! At any rate, we were seated way in the back near the windows, and the noise and vibrations were significant, constant and yes, pretty annoying!! I've experienced this on other ships in that location, so i wasn't surprised. Our dining table I think was a last minute addition, because our number didn't correlate to the location of other numbers... meaning all the other tables in the 70s were in the front, and we were waaaaaaay in the back. And we were right in front of the server station. It was not a big deal for us as we usually prefer the casual dining options... just chiming in to say that those who complain of this issue areen't exaggarating!!!

Archived