Norwegian seems to always have the lowest price...

fdk71265

A travel agent sailing with me on NCL recently told me that NCL caters almost exclusively to "Well to do Rednecks". I thought that was really cute - and maybe not too far off the mark.

Jim that could be pretty and yes, it is good. Maybe I will remember to discribe the line in those terms. LOL

With only one cruise under my belt and another booked for October, I'm not expert. I selected NCL for my second cruise because I loved my first cruise with them. I made friends with a nice group of passengers, absolutely loved the crew and think the ship (Dream) was perfect, even with one broken engine (it has been fixed). I had thought about going on HAL for my second cruise but after a number of exchanges on the CC HAL board re appropriate attire, I decided that NCL better fit my style; causal during the day, cocktail dresses, nice slacks at night.

While I appreciate price being a consideration, it isn't for me and I didn't meet anyone on the Dream whose first consideration was price. Itinerary was the big winner for why they selected that cruise.

As for sharing information with passengers from others ships while in port: I met a number of passengers from other ships while in port (almost impossible not to in Alaska, the towns are very small). Some wanted to talk about costs, others how beautiful Alaska is. My response to those who wanted to talk money: I'm sorry, I have to be somewhere else. To those who wanted to talk about how beautiful Alaska is: we had lovely chats.

Just my two cents. Everyone have a great long weekend!

While I appreciate price being a consideration, it isn't for me and I didn't meet anyone on the Dream whose first consideration was price. Itinerary was the big winner for why they selected that cruise.

For us, too.

Last year's Dream itinerary in Alaska was the best cruise-only (i.e., no land tour) itinerary I've seen, and that's why we chose it. The fact that we'd cruised the Dream before and enjoyed her was just gravy, as was the fact that an 11-day cruise that went as far as Seward cost the same as NCL's--and other cruise lines'--7-day Alaska cruises.

For us, too.

Last year's Dream itinerary in Alaska was the best cruise-only (i.e., no land tour) itinerary I've seen, and that's why we chose it. The fact that we'd cruised the Dream before and enjoyed her was just gravy, as was the fact that an 11-day cruise that went as far as Seward cost the same as NCL's--and other cruise lines'--7-day Alaska cruises.

We were looking forward to something along that line for this summer, but apparently NCL didn't do as well with that cruise as they had hoped and that itinery has gone the way of the dodo bird. Oh well, guess I'll have to "suffer" through 7 days on the Sun. LOL

-Monte

We talked about how beautiful the Mexican Riviera was and how fun our excursions were 95% of the time. When asked the question about price paid for the cruise or for onboard items and if we were happy with the menu's I was not going to be rude and not answer and walk away with a snooty attitude. Asking questions about price, money paid for the cruise and food and menu's from others be it about cruislines, shopping centers, or restaurants is as american as apple pie. I will always give an answer and not walk away.

We talked about how beautiful the Mexican Riviera was and how fun our excursions were 95% of the time. When asked the question about price paid for the cruise or for onboard items and if we were happy with the menu's I was not going to be rude and not answer and walk away with a snooty attitude. Asking questions about price, money paid for the cruise and food and menu's from others be it about cruislines, shopping centers, or restaurants is as american as apple pie. I will always give an answer and not walk away.

My good heavens, snooty and rude?? That is a bit much, don't you think? I am neither nor do people think of me in that way. I merely, and very politely, excused myself from a conversation I feel serves no useful purpose. Whoever paid more obviously could well afford to; paying it was their choice. For those that paid less, good for them, they had more to spend on whatever else they wanted. Do I need to know what they spent? No. I wasn't offended by people asking me what I spent and if pressed I said I would prefer not to compare. No one thought I was being rude or snotty, except for you. Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I responded to this thread to answer your question of why I selected NCL. If you wish to discuss money with strangers, knock yourself out.

I never said you were snooty/snotty or rude. If I'm asked a question I give and answer. I didn't want to come off as snooty/snotty or rude by not answering. I don't know how you came off to them. I don't know what people think of you nor do you know what they think of me. So your kind of makes you wonder comment is not valid.

I never said you were snooty/snotty or rude. If I'm asked a question I give and answer. I didn't want to come off as snooty/snotty or rude by not answering. I don't know how you came off to them. I don't know what people think of you nor do you know what they think of me. So your kind of makes you wonder comment is not valid.

I'm sorry, I have to be somewhere else.

Remember to check the full fare, I know alot of web fares dont include port charges for NCL cruises, I dont know why they do this only with ncl. Secondly you will spend more onboard NCL because of the slightly higher drink prices (they only use top shelf liquor and they do have the best beer selection) and because of the many surcharge restaurants.

Remember to check the full fare, I know alot of web fares dont include port charges for NCL cruises, I dont know why they do this only with ncl.

They don't include taxes and government fees for any cruise lines.

A travel agent sailing with me on NCL recently told me that NCL caters almost exclusively to "Well to do Rednecks". I thought that was really cute - and maybe not too far off the mark.

This is definitely not the case on the ships leaving New York. ;) On our last cruise to Bermuda on NCL from NY, there were many lovely people from all over the country. The Dawn attracts many New Yorkers, and as a New Yorker, I can say, we have been called many things, but redneck is not one of them. :D

I think the Number 1 reason that NCL is less expensive is that you do not pay for things you will not use, such as ice skating, surfing, rock climbing. If you compare an older ship on the other cruiselines the price is comparable to NCL.

Archived