Citizens of London

Hi again CasshewThey are carrying out restoration work to Nelson's Column and it should be finished in July in time for the Trafalgar Square festival which is normally held in August - not usre of this years dates.Check out http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor and do a search on Trafalgar Square - they even have a camera to give you a 360 degree view from the top of the column.Sue G

Yay Sue!!! Thanks for the good news :-)

My daughter (12) has been looking at pics of London and said she wanted to pose on one of the Lions.... then I spotted 'no lions' on the Trafalgar cam and thought 'ooops'!

Hi again CasshewThey are carrying out restoration work to Nelson's Column and it should be finished in July in time for the Trafalgar Square festival which is normally held in August - not usre of this years dates.Check out www.london.gov.uk/mayor and do a search on Trafalgar Square - they even have a camera to give you a 360 degree view from the top of the column.Sue G

Sue - c'mon, this is England! Which July are you talking about? 2014 or 2015?

Okay, you Londoner's are starting to get on my nerves now :rolleyes:

Big Ben quarterly chimes to stop

Some of the famous chimes of Big Ben are to be silenced over the next month while maintenance work is carried out.

The St Stephen's Tower bell at Westminster Palace will continue to toll on the hour.

But from 0800 BST on Monday, the familiar "ding dong, ding dong" which can be heard on each quarter hour will be stopped.

The work is expected to take four weeks and is the first major repair needed on the bells for about 50 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/5037364.stm

Casshew, does this really surprise you?

In London, precious little works properly. So when it's tourist season, we want to make sure that all our visitors get a taste of authentic London, applied to the things that they'd be interested in! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Oh Please.......Oh Please do try your very best ever to have the Lions back by the time we arrive August 3! My poor heart can't take the heartache of getting there and dealing with the sight of.... :eek: No LIONS!

I really will be crushed, those Lions are beautiful!!!!

Hugs,

Anne ;)

PS - Cass, Thank You for clearing this mess up! :p

Cass, Our flight arrives before noon, so visiting Trafalgar Square before checking in was the plan. I just knew that once I saw those Lions it would sink in that I was *REALLY* there!

Hugs,

Anne :p

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the lions yesterday - from the top of a tour bus and also from the square itself. I'm going to try to post a picture or two - but have never done that here so it might not work. My apologies if it doesn't.

lion30001.JPG.b065415fd2c83da5fdfa5e5da1443241.JPG

Nelson10001.JPG.3823a4fd5e39250b99cad6caea6fa193.JPG

trafountain20001.JPG.508fea6770169c29561543abda937a2a.JPG

We've had two stunning days - sunny, hot, light winds. In the shade, it's lovely. In the sun, it's very, very hot! I do have some great pictures that I'll share as time allows - the hotel we're headed to next doesn't have internet in the room. But it also doesn't have air conditioning in the room, so I'm sure I'll be in the lobby in the evenings so I can have both!

By the time you and your daughter get here, I bet the lions will be eager to greet you properly!

Hello, was in the area yesterday, thought of you, and trotted past. Just about everything is restored (lions are in full view, scaffolding reduced to a small amount at the bottom with one Great British workman gazing at it).

Hope it cools down a bit by the time you arrive; yesterday it was about 95F, and the tube was like Dante's inferno.

Enjoy your trip, Mary

Archived