San Juan-shore excursion?

xhoosa

My husband and I speak spanish so we are debating not taking a shore excursion in San Juan and just get a map and walk old San Juan, but I dont know where the ship stops compared to the old San Juan area. Is it close and is it safe to just wander on your own? I was told that there is a very bad area called "La Perla" on the way to the fort. Help!? Is anyone familiar with the area that could give us some advise?:cool: :)

Last Feburary we were in SanJuan from 4:00 to midnight...we didn't do an excursion, left the ship and walked all around old San Juan, we didn't go to the fort though. There were 2 or 3 other ships in port with us so with all the cruisers out walking around we didn't feel unsafe at all.

I don't speak Spanish and had no troubles navigating around Old San Juan. Most ships dock right in Old San Juan - across from the Sheraton. A few dock across the harbor at the Pan American Pier (usually when there are a lot of ships that day) which requires a taxi ride to get to OSJ.

We have been to San Juan 4 times and have had a good walking around on our own. Almost everyone we encountered spoke English as well as Spanish, so we weren't at a disadvantage. I am sure you will love using your Spanish while you are there! We usually take a taxi up to El Morro, (and it is UP) and then wander our way back down to the pier area. You can get a map at the little tourist plaza right off the ship, and use it to help you out. Just follow the crowds and you will be fine. We ask locals where to eat and have had some great meals.

Here is a link to a walking tour: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/sanjuan/0323010008.html

Here is a rough map of OSJ: http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/world-virtual-tours/caribbean/puerto-rico/old-san-juan.shtml

and a link to some great information: http://www.gotopuertorico.com/go_cultureHistory.php?language=english&page=45

Have fun!

We spent 3 days/2 nights precruise in old San Juan at the

El Convento and walked all over the place - day and night. Just be mindful of where you are going at night and stay away from the smaller less lit streets.... there were plenty of police out also.

Here is another link for you to get your bearings.... www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp Old San Juan is really only 15 square blocks but up and down....and tiny uneven cobble streets with skinny sidewalks where they exist at all. WE LOVED IT. IK agree with above poster - take a taxi up to the fort and then work your way back down. There are many beautiful plazas and parks along the old wall and streets are marked pretty well on the corners of buildings.

I bought Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call months before our cruise and it is soooo full of info - not only on San Juan but all the Caribbean ports. It is well worth the $15.00 !!!! It also tells of one area to steer clear of while in San Juan.... go look at it at your bookstore and decide for yourself. Get the 5th edition as it is the latest printing. It has a detailed walking tour (very detailed) so instead of paying 30.00 per person for a tour you can do it yourself. I researched the places online I wanted to see before hand and had all the history, folklore etc. in a little binder. I know - way too much time on my hands. But that is how I like to travel.

I also speak Spanish (from So. Texas) but didnt really use it as most everyone spoke English.

IK agree with above poster - take a taxi up to the fort and then work your way back down.

I agree with this suggestion. We made the mistake of walking in the middle of the day (didn't want to "waste" money on a taxi and we had plenty of time) and by the time we got uphill to El Morro, we were hot, sweaty, and exhausted.

Others have given you lots of good information, so I will answer your question

about La Perla. You do not need to, nor should, walk through La Perla. It

is along the ocean between the two forts. A hurricane wiped it out several years ago but it just sort of grew up again. It is rather colorful in many ways!:p

Does your name say you are from Indiana???

I agree with this suggestion. We made the mistake of walking in the middle of the day (didn't want to "waste" money on a taxi and we had plenty of time) and by the time we got uphill to El Morro, we were hot, sweaty, and exhausted.

Oh my gosh, we did the same thing and felt the same way as you did by the time we reached the top, to make matters worse, it was 9am and we had just arrived on a red eye flight from California and had some time to kill before our hotel room would be ready. We spent the rest of the morning hanging out at Starbucks and gave up on the walking tour until we got some rest.

LOL, we ALSO did this ONE time! Thought I would expire before it was over!!!!!

We decided to book the tour around the city, bacardi distelliry:) , Condado and Isla Verde. The price is good and it will help us get acquainted with most of the island. We live in Florida, nothing to do with the name. :D

Archived