Princess "Newbie" has questions re: Golden cruise

Sticksnpucks

Hi folks, 20th cruise next week on the Golden, first time ever on Princess. We're mainly HAL and Celebrity folks but I've always wanted to go on the "Love Boat" line.

My father usually takes a tux and/or white dinner jacket on cruises...I've been reading about t-shirts, etc. in the dining rooms. He really doesn't want to pack it for the long flight to SJU (especially with luggage weight considerations), so if you tell me there aren't many in tuxes/dinner jackets, I will pass it on. Please don't give me the standard "if he feels good wearing it, tell him to go ahead"...been there/done that and when he sees he's the minority rather than the majority, it makes it hard to get him to take it on the next cruise.

Thanks to everyone's threads re: wait listing in the dining rooms...we've learned a lot. We really don't care about the singing waiters, etc., however, at #129 it doesn't look like we're going to get our seating. Does everyone still dress for dinner on formal nights in the PC dining rooms? Does the "same table/same staff/same time" really work?

Lastly...anyone been on the Golden since school has been out? What did the kid situation look like? No...not a kid hater, I'm a school administrator, however, thinking in terms of older father driving me nuts if there is a kid in the adult only pool! (Read...he'll complain to me about it!)

Thanks for all of your help...still somewhat wary about Princess (took all the negative reviews with a grain of salt), but hope I will come home a Princess convert!

No tee shirts in the dining room in the evenings..

Tux'es, white dinner jackets and dark suits are the norm on formal nights.

I prefer PC to traditional seating. In PC, you can reserve the table for the cruise if you enjoy your waiters.

Everyone (well almost everyone :) ) dresses for dinner on formal nights in PC. Everyone looks great too..

Kids will be kids.. Hopefully security will keep an eye out. There are adult pools and areas where kids are not allowed..

I am sure you will become a Princess convert..

I agree, majority on the Star, Alaska were tux/dark suit. You mention all the negative reviews.....funny like most things, people will take the time to complain but not the time to commend.

I agree with LARGIN as I always use PC dinning instead of Tradiitonal since the last thing I want to do on vacation is keep to a predetermined schedule...afterall it's a vacation and if I feel like eating a little earlier or later it works best for me. In general most people do adhere to dress codes on formal nights.:cool: :eek: :cool:

I am a traditionalist (dinosaur to my adult kids).

I prefer Traditional dining to PC, and do follow the dress codes 99.99% of the time (I may wear a bathrobe over bathing suit to access the salad bar at the Lido at lunch).

I usually take my tux and white dinner jacket with me - although on short Left Coast repositionings (2 or 3 nighters) I substitute a dark business suit.

Michael

Hi folks, 20th cruise next week on the Golden, first time ever on Princess. We're mainly HAL and Celebrity folks but I've always wanted to go on the "Love Boat" line.

My father usually takes a tux and/or white dinner jacket on cruises...I've been reading about t-shirts, etc. in the dining rooms. He really doesn't want to pack it for the long flight to SJU (especially with luggage weight considerations), so if you tell me there aren't many in tuxes/dinner jackets, I will pass it on. Please don't give me the standard "if he feels good wearing it, tell him to go ahead"...been there/done that and when he sees he's the minority rather than the majority, it makes it hard to get him to take it on the next cruise.

First, love your user name

I don't remember ANY t-shirts in the dining room on formal night. We had fist seating traditional and it seemed like there were mostly dark suits but still plenty of dark tuxes mixed in and many more out and about, probably going to PC or second seating.

Anyway, I took something heavier than a tux, a Kilt. That's me with my Mom on the second formal night.

mom-me.jpg.5b49108dbc4c93629853c008c6c39630.jpg

Just off the Golden a few days ago. I turned 30 on the cruise and I always bring my tux. I don't even bother bringing a suit. We also always do the PC dining and I think the dress code is respected better than 95% of the time.

On this last cruise the kids were not too bad. There were more for sure, and a lot more younger couples (25-35) so that was great for us. I never had a problem with noise/aggrevation in my cabin or in any of the public areas.

Archived