The effect of skipping a connecting flight

dingo

I am trying to find the easiest way to visit friends and family in Houston and Austin, TX. I can take a round trip continental flight to Austin with a connection in Houston. What I would like to do is fly into Houston and skip the connecting flight to Austin. After a couple days, my friends in Austin would pick me up in Houston and drive me back to Austin. I would then fly out of Austin a couple days later. Anyone see any problem with me missing the second leg?

Thanks

Dingo,

Be VERY wary of trying this. The airline is almost certainly going to cancel your return flight if you don't show up for one leg of the flight. Why not try booking the flight as an "open-jaw" or multi-city intinerary. Try looking on the Continental website for flights FROM your home to Houston, and returning FROM Austin to your home. Look up your flights on the "multiple destination" tab on the Continental website.

Good luck

-BB123

Your carrier may believe that you are attempting a hidden-city fare. Not only can they cancel the rest of your flight if you skip your connection, but they can also (at their discretion) revoke your frequent flier account and any miles you have accumulated will be lost.

Be careful with this.

Also, if you are going to check any baggage, you will not be able to retrieve it in Houston after the first leg because the airline will refuse to check it to any destination other than Austin.

As billybob123 says, an open-jaw ticket is the answer to this problem - and it shouldn't cost significantly more than the round-trip ticket. In fact, it might even be cheaper.

Archived