Misty Fjords - better by air or water?

Mizsuzee

Hi all,

DH and I are in the process of planning the shore excursions on our first cruise to Alaska. One thing we really want to see are the Misty Fjords. I've read that the float plane trip is excellent, and also viewing the Fjords from the water is awesome. What is best?? Any and all replies/opinions welcome! Thanks in advance, Suz:)

I've only sailed Misty Fjords via cruise ship but by air is the way to go in my opinion. There is so much "above" that by boat you just won't see, you also get much farther. Especially a first time visitor, the sail trips take up just about the entire port time, leaving little if any time for a look around Ketchikan.

We did the sail a few weeks ago in May. I recommend doing the flight as the sail is 6 hrs round trip with the same commentary repeated each way. So the first 3 hours isn't too bad but the last 3 is an exact repeat of what was said going out in reverse order. Good luck deciding and have a great time!

Michelle

we are sailing in July on Princess and booked the misty fjords cruise and fly. The combo sounds awesome, best of both worlds. Here is their website:

http://www.mistyfjord.net

Because we are cruising with a ship they have a contract with, they would not let me book directly through them. Had to book through Princess and pay $40.00 more pp

Oh well....it will be worth it.

I think the combo would be good. There were 4 of us so we did cruise only to save money. The weather was lovely and we enjoyed it. I wonder though...if the weather was misty as it usually is in Ketchican and the surrounding area..

how much would you be able to see? You do miss any shopping time..if that is important..when you do cruise only. Shopping was way down on my list with the natural beauty of Alaska.

Archived