Budapest: Eating across from Parliament

M&T

My husband and I want to get a picture of Parliament from across the river. We will take some from the Castle District but also want one at river level. The one right across is Angelika Cukraszda. Has anyone been there. They have an outdoor terrace grill. The others I have found are Horgasztanya Vendeglo, Le Jardin de Paris, and Taverna Ressaikos. Does anyone know anything about these restaurants? Can you get right down by the river or are there obstructions at river level? Thanks. Marlyne

My husband and I want to get a picture of Parliament from across the river. We will take some from the Castle District but also want one at river level. The one right across is Angelika Cukraszda. Has anyone been there. They have an outdoor terrace grill. The others I have found are Horgasztanya Vendeglo, Le Jardin de Paris, and Taverna Ressaikos. Does anyone know anything about these restaurants? Can you get right down by the river or are there obstructions at river level? Thanks. Marlyne

Marlyne...

The PERFECT PLACE to get a picture of the Hungarian Parliament...is from the Castle District..you can great shots from the Fisherman's Bastion...you will also want to visit Matthias Catherdral wile you are in that area. Some other great photo ops are on the Chain bridge and the waterfall on the Buda Side of the Elizabeth Bridge.

If you want a GOURMET DINNER you have to go to the Gellert Hotel Restaurant! The best and most beautiful restaurant in all of Budapest. If you want to try a local restaurant with GREAT FOOD go to the Hotel Hold, on the Pest side of the river and eat at the Intermezzo Restaurant...The Fried Goose Liver is their specialty and a must to try! You can also walk to the Parliament Building from the Hotel Hold.

For THE BEST desserts you have to go to the GERBEAU Cukrasda (Pastry Shop) right in downtown Budapest. EVERYONE there knows it..You have to try the Dobos Torte and Hungarian Ice Cream is a DEFINITE!

I have been to Hungary MANY times...I have family there...parents were born there and my wife and I were married at the Matthias Cathedral in 2003...anymore questions...feel free to ask!

David

Marlyne,

The best way to get photo from the river level is the river itself. So check your schedule. Entering/leaving Budapest with a river cruise ship is described as one of the most spectecluar views. As our ship didn´t go to Budapest we made a tour on one of the local excursion boats (http://www.legenda.hu/). The tours are narrated.

steamboats

David, How exciting to get married at that beautiful cathedral. I've heard about the dobos torte at Gerbeaud but now I also know about the ice cream. Thanks. David and Steamboats - Thanks. We are also wanting some night shots of the chain bridge and Parliament. Are there any unsafe places we should stay away from late at night? When will it get dark enough to get good shots of the places? Marlyne

David, How exciting to get married at that beautiful cathedral. I've heard about the dobos torte at Gerbeaud but now I also know about the ice cream. Thanks. David and Steamboats - Thanks. We are also wanting some night shots of the chain bridge and Parliament. Are there any unsafe places we should stay away from late at night? When will it get dark enough to get good shots of the places? Marlyne

Marlyne.....There are MANY tourists walking around even at night...you can go up to the Fisherman's Bastion to get some great shots of the Parliament and the Chain Bridge. You can actually walk down on the Waterfront....and get some great shots. I would ALWAYS walk in a group...the city of Budapest is usually safe but as in any city...there are always those people looking to take advantage of tourists.If you are looking to get some great deals on shopping...you will want to get some pieces of handmade linen, crystal is also very nice...and you have to try Hungarian Paprikas Salami and Hungarian White bread...SOOOO GOOOD!!!

Thanks. We will definitely try out these ideas. I've heard the Hungarian white bread is a must. What makes it so special? My husband and I love good bread, so we will get some. A picnic with the bread and salami sounds good. Marlyne

Thanks. We will definitely try out these ideas. I've heard the Hungarian white bread is a must. What makes it so special? My husband and I love good bread, so we will get some. A picnic with the bread and salami sounds good. Marlyne

AHHHHH MANNN!! MY MOUTH IS WATERING!!!! LOL!!

Hungarian Bread has a really thick crust and is thick and soft on the inside...its a very heavy bread and if you can get it FRESH....You will eat the ENTIRE LOAF!! And you want to ask specifically for Pick (Pronounced PEEK) Paprikas(sh) salami. They will sometimes have it already sliced in packages at the grocery store or you get get it from the deli. And of course you have to try REAL "HUNGARIAN GOULASH!!" Its really a heavy soup or stew.

As you can tell...I love Hungary and Hungarian Food!!:D

Sounds fabulous!!! Where do you recommend getting these great food items. I was thinking the Central Market Hall, but where do you suggest. Marlyne

That would be the BEST PLACE! That will make sure you will get everything FRESH! The word for Bread is KENYER (KEN-YARE) you can get it in 2 pound or 4 pound loaves (1 or 2 kilos) Personally get the BIG LOAF...You'll eat it!! : )

I had heard about something to get at the Central Market called Langos. What is that compared with the white bread you told me about? Also, are there stairs up to the castle district? If so, how do you get on them? Marlyne

I had heard about something to get at the Central Market called Langos. What is that compared with the white bread you told me about? Also, are there stairs up to the castle district? If so, how do you get on them? Marlyne

LANGOS (Pronounced LANGOSH) Is actually FRIED DOUGH! Its not sweet like you get here in the states..you dont get sugar or fruit on it...people in Hungary eat that like a meal. The BEST is what is called SAJTOS (Pronouned SHOI-TOSH) and is the fried dough with Melted Shredded Cheese on it...and you can also get garlic rubbed on it!! SOOO GOOOD!

Do you have any room in your luggage for me??? : )

There are stairs up to the Castle District but its A VERY LONG AND STEEP WALK! The stairs are right next to the Chain Bridge...but you are better off taking a cab up there...wont cost much.

Anymore questions...feel free to ask!

Archived