Baltic Cruise without St. Petersburg?

RickT

Celebrity has a great offer on a Baltic cruise that doesn't go to St. Petersburg (due to the G8 summit). For those who have gone on a Baltic cruise that has stopped in St. Petersburg, what are your thoughts? Is St. Petersburg the hi-lite of the cruise or just another port.

My only concern is that if I don't do St. Petersburg, will I regret it?

I agree. I would not want to invest the time and money to go to that part of the world and not get to see St. Petersburg. The sights there are not duplicated anywhere else. It would be a shame to pass it by. I would find another date.

Fran

My only concern is that if I don't do St. Petersburg, will I regret it?
Yes, I think you will. I've cruised the Baltics twice and would go back to St. Petersburg in a heartbeat. It's simply magnificent. There's a reason why that cruise has been reduced in price. I love Stockholm and Tallinn, but the history and sites in St. Petersburg are indescribable, and I think you would then feel like you need to go back in a few years to see St. Petersburg. There are some very affordable Baltics sailings that include St. Petersburg this year. If you don't have to have a balcony, check out some of the Holland specials (I hope those are available to all and not just to us as past passengers). I would recommend Princess, but Princess uses a very inconvenient port location for Stockholm, and you don't get to cruise the archipelago on Princess, and I LOVED cruising the Swedish archipelago. I'm sure there are other deals out there.

:) Donna

We are doing a Baltic cruise this summer without St. Petersburg, but only because we were in St. Petersburg last summer and I've been there before also. If you think you will get there on another trip, then you can enjoy this cruise just as well without it. But, if this would be your only chance to see it, then I would not want to go all that way and not visit St. Petersburg - it's one of those places worth seeing at least once in your lifetime. There are some sights there unlike any other places you will ever see. I'm actually glad not to be going there this summer so we can relax a bit, since there is so much that one wants to see in St. Petersburg...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice... based on your comments I've booked the Constellation for July 29th (2 days in St. Petersburg). My wallet doesn't like it but I'm sure it's the right call.

Archived