VNP- Helicopter vs car rental

Georgia-boy

I have read post about the helicopter ride in Hilo but still can't decide which one to do. I want to see the Volcanoe but don't know which is best; from the air or on the ground. Both have there advanages so I would like to hear from those who have been there. We are sailing on the Pride of Aloha Sept 24, 2006.:confused:

Pleas help.

This is really a tough one. I'm a big volcano fan, and to other such people afflicted with red rock fever I'd say go for the helicopter, because it's the only way you're likely going to see active lava flows. You'll spend some time at the rift zone near Pu'u O'o where breakouts are constantly taking place, (if lucky you'll see some spattering to 30-50 feet), then fly down the pali towards the ocean, then hover around the ocean entry.

And really that's about it. Yes, you'll probably see a few interesting pit craters on the east rift zone (Mauna Ulu is truly astonishing). You'll have to fly from Hilo airport to the volcano basically over untold miles of very dense rainforest. So a lot of time is spent getting to and from the interesting stuff. (It was MUCH better when Volcano Heli-Tours used to fly out of the Volcano Country Club. Ten seconds after liftoff you were over the summit caldera of Kilauea -- awesome!)

Weather is also a factor. The reason it's called a rainforest is cuz it rains. A LOT. If you scope on the Pu'u O'o webcam you'll see how many days you see nothing because it's socked in with rain and clouds.

If you truly desire to see active lava and the utterly astonishing geology of the current eruption, by all means take this ride!!

But for the average non-volcano nut who visits Hawaii, I'd say save your copter$$ for Kauai.

Remember - there is nothing wrong with both doing the helicopter ride and renting a car! Schedule the copter ride as early in the day as possible - better chance for clear skies, among other reasons). Then upon your return you're at the airport. Pick up your rental car and visit the Volcano on the ground. The air tour and ground tour aren't mutually exclusive; they complement each other. You're in port from 9 to 6, so a quick jaunt up to the main part of the park and tour of the summit area would be no problem (you couldn't walk out to the lava if you do both - you simply wouldn't have the time).

I agree with sceptic that your question is difficult to answer. I have been to VNP in a car three times and during the last visit (this past January) we also took a helicopter ride (the next morning).

The helicopter was OK, but it rained nearly the whole trip. The one place that was clear was the area where the lava was entering the ocean. But, we still could not see any lava; must have been entering below the water level - - we did see a lot of steam.

My vote would be rent a car and see VNP “up close and personal,” and if time and money permits, work in a helicopter trip and hope the weather behaves.

While it's true that you can only access parts of Pu'u O'o via the air, I am a tactile person and I love the smells, the sounds, and being able to touch things in the park (always being careful to put the lava back of course). you can see skylights and even flowing lava sometimes, but the weather can be iffy and you might not be able to see anything, much less get off the ground. Even when it's raining in the park, you can still get out and see things, like the Thurston lava tube, the steam vents, bird park and, of course, Volcano House - great place to sit by the fire and dry off, but try to avoid the buffet or the snack bar. It's easier and cheaper to drive out of the park to Volcano Village - your pass is good for a week (I think), so you can come and go at will.

If time permits, I would encourage you to do both as it will give you the best overview of the volcano, bt if you can only do one, I'd walk the park instead.

Charlie

Thank you for your response. In checking the weather it looks like that could be a big factor.

How fast do the helicopter tours get booked? Could I wait till just before we leave? So I can check the weather. We are in our late 60s so a walk to the lava is out of the question. Our main reason for taking the cruise is to see the active volcano. Please help.:confused:

Charles Gardner

Newnan, GA

One sentence in your response clarifies everything:

"Our main reason for taking the cruise is to see the active volcano."

Because the walk to the current ocean entry is too much for you, I say by all means try the helicopter tour. Yes, weather might be a factor - the flight might be cancelled altogether. But booking a flight will maximize your opportunity to see flowing lava, skylights, and the amazing and always changing activity from the Pu'u O'o vents all the way down to the sea.

I mentioned that for most people who aren't volcano-addled (like me!) A Kauai helicopter flight might be a better choice. But based on your comments, the volcano is perhaps the prime reason you're taking the cruise.

I say go for it. You're the ideal person to take a helicopter tour from Hilo.

BTW, take the tour as early in the morning as possible! You'll still have the late morning and afternoon to tour the "land" parts of the volcano.

Good luck, and have fun. Hope for clear skies.

One other thing - keep an eye on the Kilauea update page. It's always possible that the surface activity might shift a LOT closer to the road, making a hike to active lava flows much easier --- then again, the activity might shift and there is no active ocean entries at all. Just keep yourself informed.

Archived