HELP finding car service from CT/Red Hook

alprzy

Respectably, in my opinion, I disagree. You can’t compare Red Hook to the Westside. I have driven through Red Hook once or twice and as the English would say, “Not my cup of tea.” I have parked my car at terminal while in NY for the day and have come back at 10:00pm to get my car and completely felt safe, wouldn’t in Red Hook.

In addition, I sailed down the Westside and I really don’t think sailing out Buttermilk basin will even be in the same league of the traditional Cunard Route of sailing up the Westside.

SeaSea, I can see your point about Red Hook. Unfortunately, we don't have a choice about which pier we sail out of if we sail on Cunard or Princess. For me, the bigger issue is getting to the pier...from what I've read, Red Hook is not as accessible.

I also agree that there's nothing like sailing out of Manhattan but again there's not much we can do about it unless we decide to sail on HAL (which I will be doing next year) or Norwegian or Carnival, all of which still go out of Manhattan. Wonder what the sail-away is like from Bayone (Royal Caribbean and Celebrity)?

Time will tell exactly what happens with Red Hook. Perhaps when NYC gets finished with renovating the West Side piers Cunard will come back...we can only hope.

My 87 y/o father will be flying in from California for the Oct 12 Canda/New England cruise on the QM2. He'll be coming in on Oct 11. Need some recommendations on best airport and convenient hotel. Do you think a cab back to the airport after the cruise would work or should we arrange for a town car? Also curious about handling your luggage post cruise. Do they have a way you can have it go directly to the airport? or do you have to claim it yourself and get a porter?

TA said we could do embarkation forms online...........I went to the Cunard website..........couldn't find anything. TA also said shore excursion info in on the website. All I could find is statement saying info would be sent about 90 days pre-cruise. Maybe TA is confusing Cunard with another line as I've done all forms for Princess and RCCL online.

Lot's of questions but I want to make this as easy as I can for my D/F and his new "bride". Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Airports: there is no "best airport" in NYC, but I find Newark the most convenient. Largely depends on which airline they are flying and schedules.

Hotels: I don't know if there are any suitable hotels in the Red Hook area, so midtown Manhattan probably best. My suggestion is to first find out which hotel(s) Cunard is using as a holding point for their early-arriving air-sea passengers and pre-cruise-package passengers, but don't book it through Cunard. You can probably get it on-line or through travel agent at less than half of Cunard's rate. I have done this sucessfully in Spain, Italy, Portugal, etc. In each case I have gotten away with joining the cruise lines' transfer to the ship on embarkation day, and in my case they haven't even charged me for the transfer. You just have to act confused, smile a lot and act surprised when your name isn't on the transfer list. They will put luggage on same bus as you, but you will probably have to claim it and hand it to a porter at the terminal. They claim it's for security, but I suspect that it's really because otherwise the porters would have no way to extract one last tip. At least that way you can be reasonably sure that it will get on the ship, as long as you are generous with the porter!

Disembarkation: All of my NY exerience is at the Manattan cruise terminal, but I suspect it won't be too different at Red Hook. Cunard will undoubtedly offer direct trransfers to the three NY airpoirts on disembarkation day - check with the on-board shore excursion desk. Although not cheap, it is convenient; they will schedule your disembarkation and transfer based on your flight information, handle your luggage for you once you have cleared customs, and probably deliver you to the correct airport terminal (unless you're in Rio where they may very well deliver you to the wrong terminal). Yes, you'll have to clear your luggage through customs (although I've never been checked); just be sure after clearance that your luggage is put on the right bus for your transfer. One other thing: if the bus stops at several airport terminals, watch to make sure they don't drop your luggage off at the wrong one! I've seen it happen.

Regarding completing documents on Cunard's website, lots of luck - this is probably the poorest website of the major cruise lines I use. On the positive side, however, they are generally very good about answereing questions e-mailed to them through the "contact us" web page.

Enjoy fall in New England - it's our nicest time of the year and you should be hitting the peak color season both in Maine and in Nova Scotia if your itinerary takes you there.

NHBob

SeaSea, I can see your point about Red Hook. Unfortunately, we don't have a choice about which pier we sail out of if we sail on Cunard or Princess. For me, the bigger issue is getting to the pier...from what I've read, Red Hook is not as accessible.

Red Hook is a million percent easier than the Manhattan piers. I just came back from a cruise out of manhattan. There must have been a 1000 people(this is NOT an exaggeration) lined up for the cabs and there was nary a one in sight and this was Manhattan. 3 ships in on the same day. (this is down from a time last year when they had 5!). People almost missed the ship. There were so many ships that they couldn't resupply my ships duty free alcohol and cigarettes. The traffic jam stretched for miles literally up the west side highway(I know a short cut). Getting a NY Yellow cab to go to the Brooklyn Pier should just NOT be a problem. If it is I have already said just get the cab number and time and let me know. Just get in and tell him to take you to the cruise terminal in Red Hook Brooklyn Just behind the exit from the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel...tell him its an adventure and the Mayor will apprrciate it and tip him 15 to 20% the meterplus $4.00 for the tunnel.

The closest decent hotel is the Brooklyn Marriott right near the Brooklyn Bridge and 5 minutes from the terminal. Its not cheap but it is convenient. There is a motel right by the Port entrance to the cruise terminal. The Cruise critic review of Red Hook describes this very well.

here is a link. The Cruise Critic review of Red Hook is in the first posting by LauraS

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=322955

My 87 y/o father will be flying in from California for the Oct 12 Canda/New England cruise on the QM2. He'll be coming in on Oct 11. Need some recommendations on best airport and convenient hotel. Do you think a cab back to the airport after the cruise would work or should we arrange for a town car? Also curious about handling your luggage post cruise. Do they have a way you can have it go directly to the airport? or do you have to claim it yourself and get a porter?

First if all congrats to your Dad. Non Stop flights from California rarely go into LGA they mostly go into Kennedy or Newark. Kennedy will be cheaper for cab or limo travel than Newark. I don't know why because Newark is 16 miles from the Brooklyn Pier and Kennedy is 24(by the Belt Parkway)...its actually only 16 if you go by the street way(the way I go) and 20 by another highway way...LGA is 12 miles. Personally I would Red eye it in and avoid the overnight unless you want to see NY. But if you want to be here before which I highly recommend. I would go on Priceline and Pick any Wallstreet area hotel, take a cab from Kennedy(to Manhattan its fixed at $45.00 plus tolls and tips) and then get a Cab from the hotel to the Pier(about 25.00- maybe less). There are porters the expected tip is $2.00 per bag> back to the airport I have seen the cabs lining up but you can call and arrange for a car service which will be 1/3 to 3/4 more than a cab. They have been listed on this site and the link posted above..TTFN.

I suggest anyone posting on this thread about 10/12, also read the Red Hook-Bayonne thread. Since we are arriving on 10/12 from the Canada cruise apparently in Bayonne, NJ...the 10/12 departure will be from Bayonne, not Red Hook. The best option here is to fly from CA to Newark (EWR) on the 11th...stay at an airport hotel, and take a cab the short distance to the pier terminal. We've decided to stay nearby before our 9/30 departure, and leave our car in the terminal garage.

Hope this helps....

Former Californians now retired in Vermont!

I suggest anyone posting on this thread about 10/12, also read the Red Hook-Bayonne thread. Since we are arriving on 10/12 from the Canada cruise apparently in Bayonne, NJ...the 10/12 departure will be from Bayonne, not Red Hook. The best option here is to fly from CA to Newark (EWR) on the 11th...stay at an airport hotel, and take a cab the short distance to the pier terminal. We've decided to stay nearby before our 9/30 departure, and leave our car in the terminal garage.

Hope this helps....

Former Californians now retired in Vermont!

Good suggestion here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=363046

My answers on this Red Hook thread are about Red Hook.

DH has volunteered to drive me to the Red Hook piers in September (yes, I'm going on a cruise without him:) ). I know that car services need a permit in order to actually drive into the pier area to discharge or pick-up passengers. Will we encounter the same problem...e.g., will DH have to drop me off outside the gates or is there a separate area for non-taxis/limos to drop passengers off (and to pick them up again)?

DH has volunteered to drive me to the Red Hook piers in September (yes, I'm going on a cruise without him:) ). I know that car services need a permit in order to actually drive into the pier area to discharge or pick-up passengers. Will we encounter the same problem...e.g., will DH have to drop me off outside the gates or is there a separate area for non-taxis/limos to drop passengers off (and to pick them up again)?

No problem you can drive right in and be dropped off...and he can pick you up again. Take a cell phone to coordinate the pcik up. He can then have coffee at Hope and ANchor on Van Brundt Street and come get you when its time to get off.

No problem you can drive right in and be dropped off...and he can pick you up again. Take a cell phone to coordinate the pcik up. He can then have coffee at Hope and ANchor on Van Brundt Street and come get you when its time to get off.

That's a big relief. Sounds like you're a Brooklynite (I'm from

The Bronx myself). DH will be happy to know about the coffee shop (caffeine is his drug of choice).

Hi All,

Jo, I am so glad your DH is driving you to the pier.:)

I have decided to drive myself. Even though I am in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, I want the convienience of getting off the ship when we return and just driving home, and not worrying about the timing for a car service or lines for the limos.

Maria - who after this week is looking forward to some time away!

OcnGypz,

Can you provide directions that you used to get to Red Hook. Since I'm going from central CT it will be the same route you took. I looked at Mapquest and it looked a little suspect. I called the bus line you mentioned in MA (Entertainment Tours)and yes they do run direct to the pier and do stop in New Haven. Unfortunately the bus is sold out for Sunday's trip that I would need. For future reference, from New Haven to the boat is $65/pp round trip as of this writing. Not bad. At $18./day to park at the pier will cost me $180 for this cruise plus gas both ways to get there and back. I would gladly pay the $260 bus fare for my family of 4 but....

It's just nice starting your vacation as soon as you take a seat.

AlPrzy

If you would like I can give you directions as well as my summer house was in Westbrook CT....what are the Mapquest directions. The only major difference I saw on the directions was instead of getting off at Hamilton Ave I would get off at Atlantic Avenue on the BQE maje a left and then the first right and you can't miss it....

smeyer418

The Mapquest puts me from RT 84 and to 684 South to the Hutch and take exit 1 towards the Whitestone Bridge. This becomes I-678 S, then merge onto I-495 W (L.I.E.) via exit 12B toward the midtown tunnel. Take exit 17W toward I-278 W /Brooklyn Queens Expressway, take exit 27 Atlantic Avenue, keep left and go onto Columbia St, right onto Degraw St, Degraw becomes Van Brunt St, right onto Summit St and Summit becomes Imlay St. That's it.

I'm more of a local driver, not thrilled about driving in NY. I always take the train. (just trained in to see Wicked on Broadway this week!!!) So if there is an easier sounding way than I mention I would surely appreciate it. I am close to the Merrit Parkway and I-95 as well. I kinda figure Sunday morning is not a bad tiome to travel I-95.

AlPrzy

Those are bad directions take the merrit to the HUTCHINSON RIVER PKWY S (Portions toll). 6.0 miles Map

8: HUTCHINSON RIVER PKWY S becomes I-678 S. 4.5 miles Map

9: Merge onto I-495 W / LONG ISLAND EXPY via EXIT 12B toward MIDTOWN TUN. 3.8 miles Map

10: Take EXIT 17W toward I-278 W / BKLYN-QUEENS EXPWY / BROOKLYN. 0.9 miles Map

11: Merge onto I-278 W / BROOKLYN QUEENS EXPY toward BROOKLYN. 6.3 miles Map

12: Take EXIT 27 toward ATLANTIC AVE. <0.1 miles Map

13: Keep LEFT at the fork to go on COLUMBIA ST. 0.3 miles Map

14: Turn RIGHT onto DEGRAW ST. 0.1 miles Map

... just for your info on Sunday nights in the Summer back from westbrook to my house in Brooklyn(near the pier) it was just about 2 hours....Your traffic should be better....

If you prefer you can take 1-95 to the Hutch as well and follow the directions above

smeyer418

That's great advice, thanks a million. I'm comfortable with the Merrit and the Hutch. From there it seems pretty simple, + I will have 3 co-pilots.

I'll be on the Crown Princess for 9 days, just the third sailing of this new ship - looks pretty good from the pix that have been posted. Nice itinerary too, Grand Turks, Old San Juan, St. Thomas, then we catch Bermuda on the way back.

Thanx again!!

AlPrzy

Hi,

We're from the southeast shoreline of CT (Groton/New London area) and we use Abbey Road Transportation. They are scheduled to pick us up for our upcoming cruise and they brought us home from our most recent cruise in Oct 2005. They are out of Manchester - call Melissa.

Abbey Road

Phone: 860-646-1913 (Manchester)

Phone: 203-404-7157 (New Haven)

Fax: 860-649-1040

Email:abbeyroadlimo@aol.com

I have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer.

smeyer418

The Mapquest puts me from RT 84 and to 684 South to the Hutch and take exit 1 towards the Whitestone Bridge. This becomes I-678 S, then merge onto I-495 W (L.I.E.) via exit 12B toward the midtown tunnel. Take exit 17W toward I-278 W /Brooklyn Queens Expressway, take exit 27 Atlantic Avenue, keep left and go onto Columbia St, right onto Degraw St, Degraw becomes Van Brunt St, right onto Summit St and Summit becomes Imlay St. That's it.

I'm more of a local driver, not thrilled about driving in NY. I always take the train. (just trained in to see Wicked on Broadway this week!!!) So if there is an easier sounding way than I mention I would surely appreciate it. I am close to the Merrit Parkway and I-95 as well. I kinda figure Sunday morning is not a bad tiome to travel I-95.

AlPrzy

Al, (Can I call you Al? <G>)

I havn't mapped out Brooklyn yet, but I took 84 down to the Sawmill in January to get to Manhattan. I prefer that on ANY day to going on I-95 (I ran a drive test in Westport for the Fire Department today- Fortunately, I was sitting in Rocky Hill- Others were doing the driving! I only had to do the monitoring and troubleshooting!) I avoid 95 through Fairfield County like the plague! Even on weekends. Even when I converted the Stamford Central Office for SNET! And believe me a good friend throws a great party in Fairfield every summer. I still go the Merritt! From Cheshire, I indeed would take 84, but maybe the Sawmill instead of the Hutch. I'll have to check my Delorme Atlas and figure the best route. I'll get back to you!

Maria!

Are you sure you want to pay $18.00 a day to park at the Pier? How far do you live from the pier? 2-4 miles maybe? I know you can see the QM2 un port through the trees from your place. Surely Marc and I can find a way to pick you up! Of course yo';ll have to sit on the roof, as or 27 suitcases (for 4 days) will be filling all of the seats! <G>

Karie. who packs for ALL eventualities... Including Nuclear War and Global Warming, plus Alien invasion (gotta bring everything you think they might like to bribe them with!)

Just FYI most NYC'ers don't have a garage we park on the street. You can't just leave your car since they have alternate side parking to clean the street and give tickets. In Brooklyn, these start at 35-45. All of NY City is a tow away zone. If you get towed which they don't normally do for alternate side but can its about $285 in addition to the ticket plus what ever damage they do.

Im Manhattan cars and parking are a premium with people paying more than $18.00 per day for a monthly space in a garage.

From Hartford, I would still take the Merritt...Its shorter that the 84 684 route. Many times I have done that it. Hello Aetna...

travel-to-go

Yeagh, I hate I-95 myself too. I only live 2 minutes from I-84 and that is usually an easier route when my car service takes me to Newark airport. I just don't know how to get to Brooklyn, and starting out a nice vacation like this with stress is not the way I want to go. I also work in Rocky Hill by the way, on Elm Street. If you can get that Sawmill option worked out I'd like to hear about it. I'm in CRUISE mode now seeing as we are leaving in less than 1 week.

Al

msk68,

Thanx for the info. I will give them a call - hopefully they have the permit for Red Hook. Did you use them from that pier?

AlPrzy

No, I will find out b/c I don't want to be dumped at the gates. Thanks for the head's up, I appreciate it! :)

msk68,

I called them and they told me they do have service to that pier with all the needed permits. The cost was just too high for me, about $600 from central CT for a 2 hour trip. I'm gonna drive and park for the $160 and keep the other $ for Happy Hour ......

Al

Okay, Al,

I will do more plotting with my Delorme Street Atlas today (plus talk to some people at work who do this trip often) but it looks to me like you can just take the Sawmill, which turns into the Henry Hudson all the way to the tip of Manhattan, then take the BBT across to Brooklyn. OR 84 to 684 (The Hutch) and I can't read this on my print, I have to pull it up (278, maybe?) but then the cross County to 87. Or may just stay n 278 on down. Get off at exit 26, right on Hamilton to Van Brunt, and so on.

Looks like 684 to 87 to 278 is best bet

But I will study more today.

Karie,

Who has to make the same trip in September!

Archived