QM2 Change from RED HOOK TO BAYONNE

d5480

I was informed today that the QM2 Canada/New England cruise departing on September 30, 2006 will now depart and return to Bayonne,NJ rather than Red Hook as scheduled. I hope that every passenger that incurs additional costs as a result of this change will demand payment of those costs by Cunard.

It is my opinion that Princess and Cunard have miscalculated and they now realize the Crown Princess and QM2 can not dock at Red Hook at the same time. I realize that Cunard can do almost anything they want, but why should the passengers be out any extra legitimate costs because of their miscalculation?

I was informed today that the QM2 Canada/New England cruise departing on September 30, 2006 will now depart and return to Bayonne,NJ rather than Red Hook as scheduled. I hope that every passenger that incurs additional costs as a result of this change will demand payment of those costs by Cunard.

Hi there, I posted here some time ago that the 24 9 06 TA was arriving on 30 9 06 at Bayonne. So it's reasonable to assume that she'd start the next voyage from the same dock.

I suppose you could say that it's a surprise that she's also returning to Bayonne at the end of your cruise but imagine the uproar from those who leave their cars at Bayonne and then have to travel from Red Hook to get back to them.

You say "as scheduled". Did you get confirmation from Cunard in your pre-voyage information that it would be Red Hook (which they've now changed) or did you assume that it would be Red Hook? They actually say "New York" in the brochure without stating which dock.

I'm booked on that TA before your cruise and was also surprised that it would be Bayonne. Indeed, after checking, when I posted the fact here, host Doug was so surprised that he didn't believe me and doubted I was telling the truth. So you see, we can all be caught out by unexpected details like this.

As we've all been denied the Manhattan "sail by" I never thought that someone would protest at being denied a Brooklyn one.

Enjoy your short cruise, relax and chill, if you arrive at Bayonne worked up it could ruin your holiday. Maybe you'll get a Brooklyn send off next time you enjoy QM.

Very best wishes

What I don't understand is that didn't Cunard/Princess plan on more than one ship at a time at Red Hook? Is there still construction going on which will allow for more ships at a later date - ie is this a temporary measure? Or is this one big miscalculation? Without any info I don't know what to say other than its a pain for those who are being moved around.

I thought Bayonne was Royal Carribean's dock in NJ so would be surprised at the QM2 being sent over there. I think that point was raised once before by Host Doug. Out of curiosity, how was the above info confirmed to you?

Is there still construction going on which will allow for more ships at a later date

its a pain for those who are being moved around.

Out of curiosity, how was the above info confirmed to you?

Hi Bramcruiser

My understanding (which could well be wrong I must add) is that, what's open is phase one. Eventually two 100,000+ ton ships could be handled at one time.

This is where I don't understand, and ask you the same question as I asked before, you say "moved around". Were you informed by Cunard in the pre-voyage information that it would be Red Hook and they've changed it to Bayonne, or did you assume it would be Red Hook?

The information, Red Hook/Bayonne, was given to me when I booked the crossing at the start of the year. I was told that it could be Red Hook or, more likely, Bayonne. But that I would be told as soon as possible which. at the end of May, was confirmed as Bayonne. Everything I read on here and elsewhere said "Red Hook" and so I spent a long time planning for there. However, once confirmed to me as Bayonne, I've read up about there too now!

I suppose it's a difference of perspective. If you live in or around New York, Red Hook to New Jersey can seem like a long way. From this side of the pond (given that we can no longer sail up the western side of Manhattan Island) if I come under the bridge and turn left or right makes no odds to me.

This link to Cunard's web site may or may not help.

http://www.cunard.com/Planner/Default.asp?plan_active=Connect

It seems a bit confusing to me as it says your cruise M635, September 30, will depart and return to Bayonne. The information at the top of the page suggest that "our" cruise, M636, departing October 12 will be leaving from Red Hook. I know they are good at Cunard but are they so good that they can have the ship at two separate places at the same time?

I think some of this has to do with how Red Hook was originally conceived. Orignally they were supposed to use pier 6 which is a finger pier out in the Bay so that two ships could use it, one on each side of the finger. Then they did some studies and found that pier six couldn't be used for some reason. They then went to pier 11-12. One of the piers is still leased to a container company and there is some lets say dispute as to whether its better to stay a container pier or a cruise terminal. Its too bad they can't accommodate both. They moved a cocoa storage facility to make way for the current cruise terminal...

Thanks for your insights Pepperrn. However, its not me being moved around - I just felt sorry for anyone who had been if they weren't aware of it and/or had arranged to land or depart from some point other than where they are now going. I know re-arranging schedules is not fun.

I am glad to hear that only phase one opened. As much as we like to tear down things, I didn't suspect Princess/Cunard that incapable and suspected that the plans for the docks were to expand to more than one large ship. This makes far more sense. However, given the fact that the QM2 was already in service and the new Princess ship just recently arrived it should have been the Princess ship that was moved to Bayonne. (Or would that cause more of a ruckus then already caused!)

Until this is eventually settled and everyone can be assured of being in one spot I suppose its a good thing I booked my first QM2 trip (this December) out of Fort Lauderdale. However, would absolutely love to sail out of NYC some day. Been there, loved it but just never cruised from there!

It is my opinion that Princess and Cunard have miscalculated and they now realize the Crown Princess and QM2 can not dock at Red Hook at the same time.

I think they always realised this.

It is a temporary situation. Right now, there is only one berth at Red Hook, eventually there will be two.

Meanwhile, the five berths in Manhattan will be reduced to three but eventually expanded to six by 2020.

Or so says the "master plan", anyway.

why should the passengers be out any extra legitimate costs because of their miscalculation?

What miscalculation?

So far as I am aware, Cunard never actually said these cruises would leave from Red Hook.

They actually say "New York" in the brochure without stating which dock.

Ah yes, but Bayonne is not in New York ;) !

when I posted the fact here, host Doug was so surprised that he didn't believe me and doubted I was telling the truth.

I didn't doubt that you were telling the truth that you were told that... Rather, I doubted that the people who told it to you was telling the truth.

But it appears they were.

As we've all been denied the Manhattan "sail by" I never thought that someone would protest at being denied a Brooklyn one.

While the sailaway from Brooklyn is not as nice as the one from Manhattan, the view from the terminal at Red Hook - of Manhattan and of the Statue of Liberty - is actually wonderful.

I have no idea what the view from "Cape Liberty" is as I have not been there. I will be sailing from there in ZENITH two weeks from Saturday and will report back with more information.

It will be interesting to compare the facilities in Manhattan, Red Hook, and Bayonne.

What I don't understand is that didn't Cunard/Princess plan on more than one ship at a time at Red Hook? Is there still construction going on which will allow for more ships at a later date - ie is this a temporary measure?

I do not believe that there is actual construction going on right now, but the current situation is temporary. Eventually, there will be six berths in Manhattan (possibily including QM2-sized ones) and two in Red Hook.

In the near future, it should be three in Manhattan and two in Red Hook. (The extra three Manhattan berths are a long way off.) Right now, it's five in Manhattan (to be reduced to three), one in Red Hook.

I thought Bayonne was Royal Carribean's dock in NJ so would be surprised at the QM2 being sent over there.

Well, Bayonne is actually a city. As far as I am aware, the Royal Caribbean facility at Cape Liberty Cruise Port (a rather silly name), which is itself at something called The Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor, Formerly Military Ocean Terminal (is that like The Artist Formerly Known As Prince?), is the only facility in Bayonne which is capable of accomodating cruise ships.

Interestingly, there are photos of GRAND PRINCESS berthed at Cape Liberty on the Cape Liberty web site, so apparently this facility has been used before by Princess, and none of us were aware of this.

I've done both Bayonne and Red Hook.. I'll take Red Hook, thanks. Never thought I'd say that, until I experienced it this weekend on the Crown Princess.

As a matter of fact, I'll take Red Hook overthe westside piers!!

The 9/30 sailing is rt Bayonne.

I have no idea what the view from "Cape Liberty" is as I have not been there. I will be sailing from there in ZENITH two weeks from Saturday and will report back with more information.

It will be interesting to compare the facilities in Manhattan, Red Hook, and Bayonne.

Doug

I for one will be VERY interested to read of YOUR views and opinions of the three terminals. As you, and a few others here, are so much better informed than myself, I value your observations on the facilities in all three.

The Princess ship that is in Red Hook that day, is it a maiden voyage? (or first time from a new home base). I know it was discussed before but can't recall the answer. If it is, then could it be that Princess want the new ship at the new facility for this event? And therefore moved the "junior partner" out of the way but would not generally do so? If not a maiden/new event, then could it be the case in future that every time Princess and Cunard ships are "in" on the same day, that the Princess ship gets first choice? And this is just the first of many times that there will be "A Queen in New Jersey" (as I said in my original posts announcing the change).

As regards you doubting me and the information I was posting, well... you'll have to forgive my trust in what Cunard put in writing. I know, I know, how foolish! I thought I had "actual confirmation" of the Boyonne docking that you went on to request from others, and therefore was put out by your apparent doubt in the information I was sharing (at the time I said nothing as I don't think that this is the place for arguments). I should have realised that your greater experience was leading you to doubt my source, not me.

Very best wishes

I've done both Bayonne and Red Hook.. I'll take Red Hook, thanks.

(My post to Doug crossed with this)

Well there we go, straight away, a valued opinion, thanks for being so fast! What was wrong with Bayonne? Esp arriving (I'm not leaving from there).

Thanks in advance

I for one will be VERY interested to read of YOUR views and opinions of the three terminals. As you, and a few others here, are so much better informed than myself, I value your observations on the facilities in all three.

Well, physically, the West Side piers are an absolute dump.

I haven't actually departed or arrived from Red Hook yet, just visited it. The terminal is very modern and I was quite impressed. Whether it is big enough to handle the volume of passengers it will process, I don't know.

Not been to Bayonne yet, will report back in a little over three weeks. I'm going to be departing and arriving from there, albeit on a much smaller ship.

The Princess ship that is in Red Hook that day, is it a maiden voyage? (or first time from a new home base).

Not that I know of.

Every time both a Princess ship and QM2 are scheduled to be in New York, it's QM2 that gets bumped... First to Manhattan and then, if no room there, apparently to Bayonne.

I still wonder when those photos of GRAND PRINCESS at Bayonne were taken.

As regards you doubting me and the information I was posting, well... you'll have to forgive my trust in what Cunard put in writing.

I am very skeptical of stuff that's put "in writing" by any cruise line... Cunard/Princess or anyone else. If it sounds fishy, I will take convincing - I don't care if it's carved in a slab of granite ;) !

Well, we are on the 9-30-06 Quebec sailing...and are quite unhappy about the change. :( We are driving 5 hours from Vermont to Darien, CT...spending the night, and leaving our car...and were using a car service to Brooklyn. Over the Whitestone, and a quick jog down the BQE. As to the cost question, I expect the over $100 (one-way) fare to double...if they even agree to the trip to Jersey. They could get a return fare from LaGuardia or JFK. I shudder to even ask the cost to pick us up in Jersey after deadheading through the worst of the morning rush hour just to get there.

Could someone who has used transportation to Bayonne post their experiences? :confused: I don't like the idea of driving to Jersey and leaving our car in a unknown garage for 12 days. Does Cunard provide transportation from Manhattan? Maybe we could train to Grand Central, and overnight at the Hyatt. What a pain with the luggage for us older types.

Well, we are on the 9-30-06 Quebec sailing...and are quite unhappy about the change. :( We are driving 5 hours from Vermont to Darien, CT...spending the night, and leaving our car...and were using a car service to Brooklyn. Over the Whitestone, and a quick jog down the BQE. As to the cost question, I expect the over $100 (one-way) fare to double...if they even agree to the trip to Jersey. They could get a return fare from LaGuardia or JFK. I shudder to even ask the cost to pick us up in Jersey after deadheading through the worst of the morning rush hour just to get there.

Could someone who has used transportation to Bayonne post their experiences? :confused: I don't like the idea of driving to Jersey and leaving our car in a unknown garage for 12 days. Does Cunard provide transportation from Manhattan? Maybe we could train to Grand Central, and overnight at the Hyatt. What a pain with the luggage for us older types.

Drive to NJ the lot is guarded and in the middle of a former navy base.

I'm booking my 87 y/o father and his new bride on the 10/12/06 QM2 Canada/New England cruise. We're in California so are looking for airfare and day prior hotel. Everything I've read says deprture from New York, New York. Need to know where the ship is leaving from so I can book good air and hotel. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Every time both a Princess ship and QM2 are scheduled to be in New York, it's QM2 that gets bumped...

What a horrible thought. A Queen being knocked out by a giant sized shopping cart!:eek: Although its easy to put the blame on Princess I think the real mess is that NYC and area's port authorities have just started a mess and it will take some time to clean up the mess caused by an immediate lack of space. I realize homeporting in NYC is the latest fad - either the cruiselines jumped the gun without the facilities or the facilities are slow in coming. Maybe we now know why MSC backed off its plans to put a ship in NYC. Won't make cruising into and out of town fun if this spreads to other lines. Let's hope that a second dock at Red Hook be built sooner rather than later.

P.S. This is not a knock at NYC! I still love New York and would love to go back and visit again!

Maybe we now know why MSC backed off its plans to put a ship in NYC.

My impression is that they have found the US market more... difficult than they expected, and are backing off their US plans in general.

They say no, but this is the impression I get.

Booking my father on the 10/12/06 QM2 out of the Red Hook Terminal.

Need to know a good hotel for 10/11 as he will be flying in from California. Is JFK the closest airport?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

No LGA is the closest but from California I think the Non-stops are into Kennedy or EWR. The closest decent hotel is the Brooklyn Marriott...

all you ever wanted to know if here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=322955

Cunard is providing complimentary shuttles between the two ports. The schedules will be out next week.

Those who do their own air can purchase transfers separately from Cunard.

We are booked on the transatlantic from Southampton to New York

Sept 24th arroveomg Sept 30th/ This websote os the forstnmews we have heard of this change. We are not please about it. We have a ntoel nooked in Manhatten. I assume the cab ride there will be very highly priced. DOes anyone know what the fare would be?

Thanks for any info you can provide. We live in Canada and have no concept of the fare but assume thedistance is lengthly.

Archived