HMC Cabana w. Butler Upgrade-Tipping Advice

FinelyRetired

We're booked for a cabana w. butler upgrade @ HMC and we're newbies.

I assume that a tip may be warranted depending upon level of service?

What's been your experience and what's the protocol for that?

Thanks, SC in RI/Marty

We paid them at least $20 each but that all depends on how good the service actually is. The two we had bent over backwards for us. :)

There have been a few other threads on this and most have agreed that $20-50 was appropriate. We have a cabana booked for our 12/16 sailing and plan on doing the buttler upgrade aslo. Have a fantastic cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

We're thinking of getting the BUTLER UPGRADE for our HMC cabana...I'm trying to "do" things right, so am I understanding correcting that the total number of people sharing the cabana "tipped" the butler (assuming there was only one butler) a total of $20 (if four people shared a cabana that would mean $5.00 tip to the butler from each person in the cabana) -or- did each person in the cabana give the butler a $20 tip (meaning the butler received an $80 tip, if there were four people in the cabana)?

If we go for the BUTLER UPGRADE, we will have 4 people in the cabana (2 of which are new to cruising, so I want to "steer" them in the right direction when it comes to tipping). I just need some guidelines to start out from. Thanks for your help in this matter.

Also, does anyone know if the "BUTLER" gets a major portion of the $270 fee that is charged for the CABANA BUTLER UPGRADE?

Debjo

The amount you wish to tip is obviously entirely at your discretion. However FYI, the two or three other lines that have butlers and that make a recommendation for their tip, suggest between $3.50 and $4.00 per person, per day.

Theron

The butler service at HMC is not like the butler service offered for suite guests on some other cruiselines. The tip you recommend would probably be okay for the usual services the butlers do on a daily basis but the work the butlers do at HMC (in the hot sun) is very different. ( :) We never particularly like having the butler on "X".....he seemed to be a little more pesty than helpful on the occasions when our category cabin came with butler service. )

Of course, you will tip or not tip at your own discretion. I just didn't want to leave any confusion concerning entirely different types of work and how you might wish to compensate differently.

The amount you wish to tip is obviously entirely at your discretion. However FYI, the two or three other lines that have butlers and that make a recommendation for their tip, suggest between $3.50 and $4.00 per person, per day.

Theron

But those butlers are for the whole cruise and the butlers have several cabins assigned to them. At Half Moon Cay, the butler is just for the day and the butler is assigned to only your cabana. Therefore, I don't think your $4.00 per person per day applies.

Still would like to hear more from people who have done the cabana with and without the butler. Thanks!

Archived