Help w/ Loterie Farms

cleophus12

I'm really a visual person, so I'm wondering if anyone who has done this can post any links to pictures. I know they don't let you take cameras, but if anyone scanned their pictures they bought or have them in their Webshots album or something like that. It would help me decide if I want to do this or not. We did the Canopy Tour in Jamaica last year and my son loved it. This sounds like something a little less "adventurous" so I'm not sure if he'd be as excited about it.

Okay, I've done a little investigating on the internet, and a google search came up with a couple of good sites:

First is an article for MSNBC from a reporter who did the Loterie zipline tour: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13956338/

Then (hooray!) I found a web site that actually has pictures posted:

http://4funstmartin.com/

So this was definitely helpful to me and I hope it is also hopeful to others who might read this. But if anyone else has their own pictures, I'd still love to see them--the more pictures, the better idea I get of how it really is!

I also noticed on that second web page, that it mentions a special area for the kids (Called "Ti'Tarzan") who aren't big enough to go on the regular courses. So that might be an option for those with smaller children.

Another good article, this one written by a "senior": http://www.sptimes.com/2006/06/27/Seniority/Learning_the_ropes.shtml

And here are some reviews on TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147346-d185065-Reviews-Loterie_Farm-St_Maarten_St_Martin.html (The first two reviews have a few pictures too.)

And finally, for those who were looking for video, I found one on YouTube:

Enjoy!

Shelia -

Its not that they do not want you to have a camera - its not safe to take one with you. Your harness would damage even the smallest of cameras in your pockets. For safety you would not one strapped to you - it could get hooked on something and you could get hurt or you would drop the camera to the ground.

Actually, we moved right along - there was not time to take a photo of the person I was with but maybe one time. Plus to be honest, if we had to wait for some photo bug infront of us to take a photo of each rope course it would of really slowed down the entire group - causing it not to be as much fun. So the no camera rule really is a good one for both the company as well as the guest.

They do take the one photo which was a great one - I will try to figure out how to add the photo online... and well worth the money.

I think we paid around $75 pp, and I do not think there is a discount for kids.

As to taking kids- unless your kids are on the taller side I would steer away from this activity. You, as a parent, will not be able to assist them in hooking and unhooking their safety gear and they will have to make their way through the course on their own. There is one particular spot that is near the end where you go between 3-4 trees on just a wire (imagine a tightrope walker) of course you are attached from the top, but in order to make it from tree to tree you have to basically hug the tree, unclip one safety, reclip it on the new line and then unclip your second safety. Those trees have no standing platforms- It was a stretch for me. If you kids are big and not afraid of heights (maybe 15-20 feet) then it may be do-able.

They do have a small child sized course. Apparently it is used for school groups etc. You may be able to contact them and see about your kids using that one while you are on the regular course.

I have tons of pictures- I did take my digital camera with me. If you have a pocket just stick your camera in there. There will be plenty of time to take pictures while you are waiting. I saw other people with throw-away cameras.

They say no cameras allowed so that is good info. They do not want people taking pictures and holding up the line. The kids will be 11 and almost 13 at the time and are not short kids. But i had no idea that they would have to unclip and reclip to another line...doesn't that leave them unsafe while unclipped? Pls post the pictures if you can. If not let me know and i will list my email. Thanks. Did you find it worth the money?

They say no cameras allowed so that is good info. They do not want people taking pictures and holding up the line. The kids will be 11 and almost 13 at the time and are not short kids. But i had no idea that they would have to unclip and reclip to another line...doesn't that leave them unsafe while unclipped? Pls post the pictures if you can. If not let me know and i will list my email. Thanks. Did you find it worth the money?

I don't think the camera rule is for the line being held up- I think they just don't want you distracted or dropping your camera. If you are in the middle of the group (which we were towards the last 1/4 to start the course) you will be waiting for the people in front of you- some are faster/slower than others- heck, some should not have been doing it at all :) - and they were tall/old enough!

I tried to post pictures- but the attachments are to large and I do not have an account set up with any of the photo sites that have my pics on there. If you list your email I'll send you some photos.

The safety harness has two clips- they instruct you to keep one clipped to the previous obstacle and then clip the second onto the new line- then move your first one over so you are always attached by one.

As you will see in the pictures the cables are wrapped around the trees and you are clipping and unclipping many times to get from one line to the next. Also, there are some lines that have these big balls of tape every few feet that your clip will not go over. I thought it was kind of strange but then realized that it was to prevent someone from back-sliding (should they fall) and hitting into the person behind them.

I do not think the course is by any means dangerous (and if you are in shape it is not overly physically challenging)- I just want you to be aware of the potential problems that might arise since you are considering bringing your kids. I personally would not bring my kids (9 and 12)- my 9 yo would be up for the challenge- but his physical size would make it very, very challenging. My 12 yo could probably manage- if he were pushed- but he is not that type of kid.

Inshape:

I don't think the camera rule is for the line being held up- I think they just don't want you distracted or dropping your camera. If you are in the middle of the group (which we were towards the last 1/4 to start the course) you will be waiting for the people in front of you- some are faster/slower than others- heck, some should not have been doing it at all :) - and they were tall/old enough!

I tried to post pictures- but the attachments are to large and I do not have an account set up with any of the photo sites that have my pics on there. If you list your email I'll send you some photos.

The safety harness has two clips- they instruct you to keep one clipped to the previous obstacle and then clip the second onto the new line- then move your first one over so you are always attached by one.

As you will see in the pictures the cables are wrapped around the trees and you are clipping and unclipping many times to get from one line to the next. Also, there are some lines that have these big balls of tape every few feet that your clip will not go over. I thought it was kind of strange but then realized that it was to prevent someone from back-sliding (should they fall) and hitting into the person behind them.

I do not think the course is by any means dangerous (and if you are in shape it is not overly physically challenging)- I just want you to be aware of the potential problems that might arise since you are considering bringing your kids. I personally would not bring my kids (9 and 12)- my 9 yo would be up for the challenge- but his physical size would make it very, very challenging. My 12 yo could probably manage- if he were pushed- but he is not that type of kid.

Where are they? You can email them to me at : Picard2117@cox.net

I appreciate the insights. So you did this without the kids? Your last comment threw me on this. You said you would not do it with kids.... but you know exactly what the course is and have pictures so I guess you did it. But no kids of yours did it? Did you see other kids having some trouble in those spots. Mine will be 11 boy , and 12 girl. She is not adventurous , he is much more than her. I value your opinion and since we cruise yearly and alternate western with eastern we can wait another 2 yrs until they are 13 and 14 or 14 and 15. Which by then there will no no question as to safety issues. Thanks. I think I just answered my own thoughts.

Sorry I was not clear- for some reason my posts were not showing up until later in the day, the pictures will have to be emailed because they are too large to be attachments on cruise critic.

I did the course last spring with my DH. We did not have our kids with us- nor were there any kids on the course while we were there. They do have a child's course that is more ground based but I am not sure if that is open to the public (I know they said they use it for school groups etc...).

My family is going to St. Martin in August and I entertained the idea of going back on this tour- but it would just be too risky with my kids. I'm just not sure they would be independent enough to complete the course.

I'll send the pictures, if you have any questions just email me.

Shannon

We came into St Martin on the Valor, and took this tour. It was AWESOME! The day we were in port was just us and a Princess ship so we knew we didn't have to compete with any RCI tours. We got off the boat early (8 ship time) and grabbed a taxi out front to take us to Loterie Farms. Taxi driver had to ask one of the others where that was. (We had a map and think he went a longer route than necessary but we had a set fare of $26, so it didn't really matter).

When we got there the place seemed empty, and I think we both got a little nervous. There were 8-10 people there getting ready to go on the hike, and the restaurant just told us to go out back to get to the "Fly Zone".

When we figured out where 'out back' was, we paid $40pp, signed our waivers, got fitted for harnesses and were off, the two of us and a guide.

When we got to the top of the first platform, the guide noticed I seemed a little nervous to get on the first zip line, so he clicked me in first, and got me set... about half way down I realized there was nothing to be nervous about, and loved the rest of the tour. About halfway through we found another couple and their guide, and stayed behind them the rest of the trip. Since is was just us and the guide the entire course only took an hour. I can't imagine it taking 2-3 hours, and having to wait for slow people up ahead.

When we finished the tour, we asked the tour guide where we could get a taxi and he took us right over to a licensed taxi van and took us right over to Orient Beach. We were on the beach relxing by 10:30!

One side note, I'm only 4'11'' and never felt like I was too short.

Wow, these excursions sound fun, but doens't anyone but me find the prices rather shocking ... I mean especially family groups.

We are a family of five, taxi and tickets look like could be well over 300 dollars, and that doesn't include the tips someone suggested of $5 per person for the( and I assume this is for guide to pool, not to each guide) guides, and again for driver... so another 30 plus dollars ..

Wow, I wish we could afford something like that, but how can one spend that much money on basically an hours activity?? I guess being Canadian also makes it seem horrible to me ,, because that 330 dollars is more like 450 dollars! YIKES!

Are we all just used to paying and paying ,, I mean Disneyland , where you can play all day and evening is less then that for a family.

Wow, these excursions sound fun, but doens't anyone but me find the prices rather shocking ... I mean especially family groups.

We are a family of five, taxi and tickets look like could be well over 300 dollars, and that doesn't include the tips someone suggested of $5 per person for the( and I assume this is for guide to pool, not to each guide) guides, and again for driver... so another 30 plus dollars ..

Wow, I wish we could afford something like that, but how can one spend that much money on basically an hours activity?? I guess being Canadian also makes it seem horrible to me ,, because that 330 dollars is more like 450 dollars! YIKES!

Are we all just used to paying and paying ,, I mean Disneyland , where you can play all day and evening is less then that for a family.

I actually found the prices very reasonable and affordable. Any time I book a cruise I budget $100 per day for additional expenses. I typically don't spend $100 per day while on the ship, but $'s still there if I need it. The whole reason I enjoy cruising is to stop at new places and try new things.

I actually found the prices very reasonable and affordable. Any time I book a cruise I budget $100 per day for additional expenses. I typically don't spend $100 per day while on the ship, but $'s still there if I need it. The whole reason I enjoy cruising is to stop at new places and try new things.

Well I guess you are in a different income bracket then me,, with our flights and all we are already paying a 5 figured amount for the cruise ( for 5), so blithely adding 100 pp per port is another 1500 dollars, and doesn't include other charges as in liqour and tips for onboard and tips.. Yikes.

I love cruising, its a great vacation, but I don't really consider it "travelling" as you are so insulated from the locals , you only have 8 to 10 hours to "experience" a port..

Thanks for all the links...looks like tons of fun!! :) We are 10 days out from cruise time and I am so excited!! I am sure the kids will have fun...but thanks for the heads up on the switching the safety clips--will warn dh about those.

Thanks again, all! :)

This is a pricey excursion if you are booking for 5- we have the same issue when we travel with our kids. We want to do something exciting but don't want to come away broke at the end of the day either. Since this tour only takes a few hours I personally could not justify spending that type of money to take my kids- but that is just me.

We have spent similar amounts on tours but they lasted 8+ hours. I felt that the quantiy and quality of the excursion was justified.

We are in St. Martin in August with the kids and I am having a hard time deciding on what we will do. Maybe just the beach- we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to give all you posters a quick thank you...my family loved this shore-ex! :) Worked out wonderfully for my 10 yr old boy, my 16 yr old had to work at the height issue (she was a bit scared) but overcame quickly, Bubba just absolutely loved it!!!!!

Thanks for all the reviews and pointers! :)

Archived