Single Share

VABeach

What would be HAL's single supplement for the cheapest cabin?? Inquiring cheapskates want to know.

50% on an inside---this from a confirmed cheapskate. :D

The rate goes up on the outside cabins, and is the full 100% extra on the suites.

If someone's going to pay for two people anyway, might as well invite me! :D

Now, that doesn't mean that there aren't deals out there from some TA's, but that's HAL's usual rate.

Logic does not always rule. What you say is the 'fair and logical' and common sense response most of us would hope to be the case.

[/b]

Okay ... maybe you are right. But then, that would mean HAL had no problem moving roommates to their own cabins, gratis, everytime this "rule breaker" tried to force their smoking habit on an unsuspecting roommate. The roommate DOES NOT have to put up with it. They could demand that either HAL address the problem IMMEDIATELY (i.e., the roommate never dares to light up another cigarette in the cabin for the duration of the cruise), or give the non-smoking roommate her own cabin, at NO additional charge, or let the non-smoking roommate debark at the next port, with a full refund plus a free airplane ticket home. The roommate could say that they have a health problem that cigarette smoke compounds. The roommate would be 100% in the right and would in no way have to tolerate the smoker's behavior.

Now if HAL doesn't mind switching around roommate after roommate ... everyone who this particular single share gets matched with ... then maybe HAL is not fair or logical. Maybe they don't mind p*ssing money away and would allow this one individual to keep booking single share and violating the rules. Doesn't seem fair and logical ... but then maybe you are right and fair and logical doesn't always prevail.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks both. That's too much; for every two cruises, I'm paying for three cruises and getting two. My cabin mates have been fine so far and I'm willing to chance it.

What would be HAL's single supplement for the cheapest cabin?? Inquiring cheapskates want to know.

It depends upon the cruise. I've seen it as low as 125% and as high as 150%. Average seems to be in the 140% range.

For example -- from HAL's website:

Noordam Jan 6, 2007 11-day cruise

Without single supplement:

MM category Inside Cabin (inclusive of taxes, etc.): $1,238.31

WITH single supplement:

MM category Inside Cabin (inclusive of taxes, etc.): $1,788.31

Or, an increase of $550.00 ... or 145%.

That's a nicely affordable single supplement. While the MM cabin on a Vista is TINY, it's all yours ... you're not sharing. So ... it's not that bad. I still prefer a J category on main deck ... which, for that cruise, is only a little more expensive ($1,938.31). Those Js on Main deck are HUGE. Just make sure that if you book a J it's one of those on Main deck, because the ones higher up are TINY.

You can find prices cheaper from other online TAs, but the supplement markup will still be about the same (in terms of percentages).

HAL could put the offender off at the next port. If that port were too many days away they have the brig. That kind of thing is unlikely to become necessary, however.

This is not the kind of stunt that someone is likely to pull to try to get the cabin solo---it's too blatant. In all my travels I've never heard of it being a problem---and those of us who sail solo tend to find each other and discuss this kind of thing.

No, someone trying to force out the roomie (and this would be very, very, very rare) is much more likely to do something that's a bit bizzare, but still within the bounds. I met one man doing a share---his (elderly) roomie was a nudist and stayed au naturel while in the cabin. He turned in early, then turned on all the lights and TV when he got up early. Not comfortable, but no violation of any proprieties, either.

HAL could put the offender off at the next port. If that port were too many days away they have the brig.

Wonder if HAL would let the offending roomie smoke in the brig, though? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have done 4 cruises on the single share program.

3 times I had to share and 1 time on a 14 day cruise I was

alone , nobody show up. The 3 times that I share with some

one , they were nice people. We set up the rules on the

first day and everything went quite well. The only nice thing about

it is that if they can`t find you a partner, you do not have

to pay the supplement. The program is for inside or outside

staterooms only.

nov 12 WESTERDAM

I have done 4 cruises on the single share program.

3 times I had to share and 1 time on a 14 day cruise I was

alone , nobody show up. The 3 times that I share with some

one , they were nice people. We set up the rules on the

first day and everything went quite well. The only nice thing about

it is that if they can`t find you a partner, you do not have

to pay the supplement. The program is for inside or outside

staterooms only.

nov 12 WESTERDAM

I should have known that by using the word "smoking", I would start something. I had no reason to not believe "Oh Canada". Why would someone confide that they did anything to irritate a roommate to get a cabin to themselves? I mean, does anyone think the "Naked One" goes around talking about what he does in the not so privacy of his shared cabin? Truth is often stranger than fiction.

I think "Oh Canada" knew what she was doing and choose cruises that were most likely going to sail at excess capacity and in the spirit of good will, it's probably easier to give her the cabin than enforce the rules. Like I said, sooner or later, sheis going to get on a sold out cruise and maybe she will get "Naked One" as a roomie.

Note to Ruth C and HAL Only Cruiser: Perhaps we are triplettes, separated at bith, destined to be rejoined on a HAL cruise in a triple cabin. I call the top bunk. I want to crusie Asia.

I now live in Barrington , Illinois, about 35 miles NW of Chicago. One of these days I will update my profile. I used to live in Holmdel, NJ, next to Lucent and worked in Wall Street.

Wow!! Thanks for all of the advice and inspiration! I feel so liberated and so excited. I can't believe I didn't decide to do this earlier.

I do kind of pride myself at being flexable and easy to get along with, so I hope the roommate situation won't be a problem. I'm really just going to have a fabulous time. I can ignore people easily if I have to. I'll find some quiet spot on the ship where I can get alone if I need to.

Thanks for all of the encorragment. I really don't have any idea what to expect, but all of this wonderful info. really helps.

You guys are great! I love HAL. Everyone is so friendly. It's so refreshing. Thank you again. ~

I did single shares on Royal Cruise Line for years and always had fantastic cabin mates! trans-Atlantic cruises and shorter ones too. Most of them were Canadian ladies who are the "world's best" - well traveled and kind and considerate. This was for about l3 cruises or more. Then Royal Cruise Line went out of business- and I began with Holland America in l996 and have been only with them since. My cabin mates (again mostly Canadian) have been wonderful..I have never had to do anything with most of them- just be nice-- share equally and do my "own thing".. finally my luck ran out on the last cruise (So.Carribbean) that left from Tampa and returned to Tampa l4 days last December. That was absolutely awful! you guessed it! she was from Tampa, Florida! my first American cabin mate! She stayed in the cabin most of the time- "bitched" about everything and everyone on board, the cabin steward could not stand her! I managed by just being out of the cabin except to sleep and dress the entire time! I never eat at the same table with my cabin mates-- prefer to meet others. I kept "quiet" and never let her know that she drove me crazy-- the last day I decided to send her a message- I came back to the cabin after breakfast and then just "left" without a word! no goodbye or anything.. I would go single share (again) as I do not think this one experience is the "norm"-- wish I could ask for Canadians all the time! -- Since I am very easy to get along and share really good- for example if they need more drawer space I say "sure".. I am almost 80 years old- been a World Traveler-- and the rule is this- "If you think sharing single is saving you money you can use for tours, etc. and for many more cruises--- then go for it-- if you are "picky" then get your own cabin.. but be "prepared" to give and take as they say... some of my cabin mates have become life-long friends-- especially the Canadians from Vancouver, etc. and do not "talk" to other passengers about your cabin mate-- just accept it-- in fact don't even say you have one! - after all its only a bed... you sleep in --- and dress-- otherwise I am not in the cabin! - Incidentally, the "bad room mate" stiffed the Cabin Steward and the Waiters- she did not tip period! -- Next cruise I will sail out of Calif. etc. etc. maybe not Florida and that way I won't get anyone from Tampa!!! Good Luck if you decde to go this way. Mariettalady2

Archived