Single Share

VABeach

Ok, I went and booked my first solo vacation. I have to admitt I'm feeling very liberated about it! :D

Has anyone done the single share program before? I would love to hear any thoughts or ideas about it, particularly from the ladies.

I was a little suprised that I was charged $200.00 more than the going rate for my catagory of cabin. Is this normal or did my TA not get me the best deal?

I'm so excited to be cruising on HAL again. This will also be my first two week cruise and I know I just won't want to come back to work. :)

I've done the single share three years in a row---for 33, 34, and 35 day cruises. The first two roomies were wonderful to share with :) ; the third was not :rolleyes: .

What would you like to know?

It takes communication, good will, a willingness to work things out.

If your roomie isn't willing to do that, then it takes underhandedness and subterfuge :D . Just kidding. Or maybe not. :eek:

I figure that sharing on the first two cruises paid for the third. Not bad. I would do it again---even for such long periods and considering the last pairing.

Is there something in particular you'd like me to speak to? I'd be happy to answer any questions.

A few years ago on the Statendam in Mexico, we met a wonderful woman in her early 80's. She had been everywhere and done everything. We ended up doing a lot of day trips with her and this woman really knew how to get around in a port. She had one complaint and it was always about her shared companion. Every day she had new stories. As the cruise progressed we met another woman who was having the time of her life and the only down side was her shared companion. Well you can tell where this story is going. When they realized that we had befriended each of them, they were embarassed cause of all the tales they had told. I think the embarassment was a bonding opportunity . From that point on, they were inseparatable.

On another cruise we met a woman from Canada that liked to cruise a lot and to make it affordable, she used the HAL share program. Once on board, and in cabin, she would light up a cigarette with the sole purpose of offending her rommmate. She claimed that HAL had, thus far, always managed to accommodate her in her own cabin after the roommate complained about her smoking even though it is understood that the cabin is supposed to be non- smoking. She said she was not really a smoker and did it to sail solo and a solo rate. I figured sooner or later she would end up on a "at capasity" cruise and have to share.

More than half the fun of cruising is the people you meet on board.

Wow. I don't smoke, so maybe I should call my TA and let her know. I hate that a few small people feel like they have to spoil it for everyone else. I had to pay double for my RCCL cruise because they no longer do the program. I guess now I can understand why. :(

So, if you do have a terrible roommate, is there a chance of changing? I hadn't even thought about that.

I'm open for company, but will probably spend most of my time alone. That's actually one thing I love about HAL, all the peace and quiet. :)

Thanks for the responces. All of you single cruising ladies have inspired me to get out there!

I guess I have lots of questions, I just don't know what they all are yet. :D

Off topic but related ... I saw in Travel Trade magazine that Seabourn is offering fall sailings to singles with just a 10% surcharge. In other words, 110% of the regular double occupancy fare. While they're higher than HAL, that's a nice promotion. Wonder if HAL would ever run one like that?

So, if you do have a terrible roommate, is there a chance of changing?

Yes, you're free to change cabins if there's one available, BUT, (and it's a big "but) the one requesting the change has to pay the single supplement; the one left behind does not. That's why the person referred to above would light up a cigarette---to push the roomie to request a change. That way she'd get the cabin to herself without paying.

The single share program is predicated on no smoking in the cabin. I'm sure that if it so happened that both parties were smokers then they could agree that smoking is allowed, but if one does not smoke then that takes precedence.

On my last share cruise I should have realized what my roomie was really saying when I first met her. She said something to the effect of "I guess we're roommates for the 35 days---or until one of us can't take the other anymore". She then set out to make sharing difficult for me. Took me a while to catch on. Eventually I did, but I was not about to let her force me out. I stayed away from her as much as possible, and didn't speak to her unless it was absolutely necessary.

But let me reassure you---that is not the usual and customary! Most HAL passengers are great to get along with, and I wouldn't hesitate to take my chances that next time things are back to normal.

How do you manage such things as who uses the safe, Ruth?

Does it often work like a college dorm in that the one who gets to the room/cabin first, grabs the best of everything? Did the less than desireable cabinmate woman share equally?

The bit about the cigarette bothers me.

If one of the terms of booking a 'share cabin' is that no smoking is permitted (unless, as you say, both agree it's okay), then if (s)he has broken the rules by smoking, shouldn't that be the person who is penalized with the single supplement additional cost? Why should the non-smoker, who is abiding by the rules, bear the cost?

You're right, sail, that it's first-come/first-served as far as grabbing the one-of-a-kind things, like the safe. I haven't managed to get the safe once in three shares. I keep my valuables in the locked drawer of my nightstand; if I were worried about that I'd use the safe-deposit boxes at the Front Desk.

First in picks the bed; the first two shares I asked for the side the desk is on so I could plug my breathing machine in without both of us tripping on the cord; both agreed. The third share got there first, picked that bed, and also had a CPAP; I got an extension and arranged it so we both plugged in before it reached the outlet.

The closets, drawers, medicine cabinet space are easily divided.

Like I said---it's a matter of communicating and cooperating. A little give and take, and a little good will goes a long way.

I forgot the "smoking thing". Yes, I agree, it bothers me, too. I can only guess how it would play out if the offended party tried to do something about it. It certainly would not be fair if someone could get a cabin solo---at no extra charge---by virtue of violating rules.

Unfortunately, life isn't always fair.

If I were faced with the situation I would remind the roomie of the "no smoking rule" once. After that it would be in the hands of the Hotel Manager. I would keep record of continuing violations and report them. Frequently and firmly.

Trouble with this method on a 7-day (maybe 10-day, too) cruise is that by the time the problem surfaced and was finally dealt with the crusie would be over. On a longer cruise there would be time to have something done.

I wouldn't expect this kind of problem, though. Someone trying to force a roomie out would be much more subtle (like my 3rd one was). Someone who just couldn't observe the no-smoking in the cabin rule (after booking with that understanding) might have the Fear of God put in them by the Hotel Manager.

I always travel share and have never had a problem. The other person has probably done it before and knows the rules of the road. One advantage is that I usually get up later than he does, and pull in later.

I am pleasantly tolerant of others, but can also be pleasantly confronting. If someone is clearly in the wrong (that is, I disagree with them -- joke), I can usually set it right without much discussion.

While I think the Single-Share program is an excellent one, and it's clear (from what we're reading here) that it works well for a lot of people, I would rather just set up my own share arrangements with a friend or family member (as I frequently do). I understand that the Single-Share program is designed for those who haven't done, or can't do, that; and for that reason I think it's an excellent program. But, for my money, I would rather either set up a share on my own with a friend with whom I plan on traveling, or I think I'd rather just go it alone and pay the single supplement. At least, that's what I've always done; I've not taken advantage of the single-share program, so I don't know if it would be good "for me" ... and I'm not sure I want to take the chance.

It seems to me that CC is a great place for single cruisers to meet and make such share arrangements; they can hammer out all details ahead of time, discover if there are any incompatibility issues that would make life difficult, get to know one another, etc., before having to "sleep together" in a cabin.

On another cruise we met a woman from Canada that liked to cruise a lot and to make it affordable, she used the HAL share program. Once on board, and in cabin, she would light up a cigarette with the sole purpose of offending her rommmate. She claimed that HAL had, thus far, always managed to accommodate her in her own cabin after the roommate complained about her smoking even though it is understood that the cabin is supposed to be non- smoking. She said she was not really a smoker and did it to sail solo and a solo rate. I figured sooner or later she would end up on a "at capasity" cruise and have to share.

I'm shocked HAL allowed her to book single share anymore after the first time she pulled that stunt. HAL is very specific ... single share cabins are NON-SMOKING unless, of course, the two roommates happen to both be smokers or the one roommate does not care if the other smokes.

That is specifically why I won't do single share. I don't mind sharing ... if it's with another smoker, but I'd prefer to arrange my own share with someone who I have a reasonable expectation that we will be compatible. HAL does nothing to ensure compatibility. They don't ask for ages, smoking preferences, etc. They see two females looking for a share, and bam ... they pair them. One could be 30 and one could be 80. One could be an early riser, the other could be a late (and light) sleeper. HAL could care less. It's up to the roommates to make it work. In my case, it simply won't work if I can't smoke in the cabin. It's not that I smoke a lot there, but I enjoy my cigarette before turning in at night, and then maybe one when I get up in the morning. I don't smoke in my house ... because my father lives with me and it bothers him. So, when I want a cigarette at home, I go out on the enclosed porch and enjoy it there. But when I am on vacation ... paying big bucks to be there ... I'm not willing to have to leave the cabin anytime I want a smoke ... especially since I don't smoke all that much in there anyway.

For what it's worth, on my 30-day cruise earlier this year, there were quite a few single shares. Without exception, every one of them that I talked to groused about their roommate. One guy was sharing with another guy who would come back to the room at about midnight and then order room service. The other guy was in bed by then! The one woman said her roommate had a coughing problem (she was a smoker ... but not in the cabin) and would be up hacking half the night. The other roommate said she was averaging about 3 hours sleep a night because of this. The really bad thing about this particular cruise is that every single cabin was booked. There was no way for any of them to get out of the arrangement ... even if they were willing to pay to have their own cabin. There were simply no cabins to be had.

The single share concept is not a bad one, but it's poorly implemented. HAL should not "guarantee" matches. Rather, they should say that they will do their best by putting the two folks wishing to share in touch with each other in advance and letting them decide if it would be a good match. The way it's done now, though, is too much of a risk ... at least as far as I'm concerned. I guess on a short vacation, you can deal with just about anyone. But on a long trip, having a totally incompatible roommate, could make for a lousy cruise. And, when you spend all that money for a great cruise, having a lousy one can sure suck.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The whole idea of having someone I've never met before sleeping in the same private space, or not sleeping and looking at me while I sleep, just creeps me out.

I'm hoping that in the coming years I can set up some family and/or friend share arrangements such as Greg does. Either that or squirrel away every spare cent so I can pay single supplement and still cruise at least once a year.

So, if you do have a terrible roommate, is there a chance of changing? I hadn't even thought about that.

From what I understand, you can request to get your own cabin if things are not working out with your roommate ... IF HAL has any extra available cabins they could move you to. But, you will then be charged the normal single supplement. The roommate will have it great, because she will then get to keep the cabin you just vacated and won't be charged a nickle additional for it.

As for the smoking "problem," don't worry about it. If the roommate goes to light up, just tell her in no uncertain terms that you do not want any smoking in the cabin. If she persists, complain. HAL will then have to either ensure she no longer smokes in the cabin (by threatening her with being put off at the next port, if necessary) or they will have to move you to another cabin without any additional charge. All HAL single share cabins are considered non-smoking cabins.

The reason you were charged extra, by the way, is because HAL single share cabins are the larger cabins in each class. Like it or not, you have to book that minimum category to do the share. It's not that you are being overcharged, it's just that you are being required to book a larger cabin in order to accommodate a single share.

The better way to do it, in my opinion, is to go on some of the other message boards that have "cabin share" boards and see if you can find your own share. Then, get out of HAL's program, and the two of you book the cabin category you want. You could come out cheaper that way, not to mention have the opportunity to "feel out" your roommate before actually sharing a cabin with her. The two of you can communicate via email or telephone and get an idea of each others' expectations, preferences, etc. ... and have a better chance of attaining a compatible share ... and a nice cruise experience.

You say that you like to spend time on your own. You can make that clear to the person you are thinking of sharing with if you work out the share on your own. You don't want to get onboard and find that your roommate is looking to be joined at the hip with you and will want to follow you around everywhere on the ship. It would also be nice to know if she's an early riser or someone who likes to sleep in. Does she generally stay out and about all hours of the night, coming back to the cabin in the wee hours of the morning, turning on all the lights and then taking a shower before getting into bed? This could be a problem if you are sound asleep by midnight.

Like I said, working out your own share increases the likelihood that it will be a pleasant experience. Not to say any share HAL arranges will automatically be a bad one ... you could very well luck out and have a great roommate ... but then again ... why take the chance?

Blue skies ...

--rita

The bit about the cigarette bothers me.

If one of the terms of booking a 'share cabin' is that no smoking is permitted (unless, as you say, both agree it's okay), then if (s)he has broken the rules by smoking, shouldn't that be the person who is penalized with the single supplement additional cost? Why should the non-smoker, who is abiding by the rules, bear the cost?

They shouldn't and they wouldn't.

I think this woman who told the other poster that she does this is full of you know what. She may have done it once, but believe me ... she wouldn't get the chance to do it again. HAL would have no longer allowed her to book a single share category. HAL is very strict about that. Single share cabins are non-smoking cabins ... unless the two roommates agree otherwise. HAL maybe would allow someone to get away with that once ... rather than have a problem on their hands. They would simply move the non-smoking roommate to her own cabin ... and take the loss. Both roommates would then have their own space for the duration of the cruise. But, believe me, HAL keeps records of that sort of thing, and the roommate who caused the problem would not be eligible for another single share cabin on any future cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

They shouldn't and they wouldn't.

I think this woman who told the other poster that she does this is full of you know what. She may have done it once, but believe me ... she wouldn't get the chance to do it again. HAL would have no longer allowed her to book a single share category. HAL is very strict about that. Single share cabins are non-smoking cabins ... unless the two roommates agree otherwise. HAL maybe would allow someone to get away with that once ... rather than have a problem on their hands. They would simply move the non-smoking roommate to her own cabin ... and take the loss. Both roommates would then have their own space for the duration of the cruise. But, believe me, HAL keeps records of that sort of thing, and the roommate who caused the problem would not be eligible for another single share cabin on any future cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Logic does not always rule. What you say is the 'fair and logical' and common sense response most of us would hope to be the case.

I also think it would be fair and logical that people who keep a whole ship waiting to go ashore because they didn't report to Immigration or didn't pay their bill on final morning would be denied booking a future cruise but, alas, that is not the case.

I have been giving some thought to what Jim (jhannah) said about Seabourn offering special pricing occasionally on the single supplement rate. Since they are under the Carnival umbrella, maybe HAL would consider it. But I have come up with (IMHO) a scathingly brilliant idea. I think that, by and large, most Mariners are a little disappointed with the "perks" offered to them. Someone could pitch to HAL that a nice Mariner perk would be a sliding scale reduction in the single supplement, determined by number of cruising days with HAL. Huh? Huh? Do you love it?

RuthC: My husband is on travel restriction due to a bad back, and my regular travelin' buddy (daughter Anne) is going off to college in August.:( I am a fat, frumpy, middle-aged (58) soon-to-be-retired "mom". May I be your roomie someday? I'm a fun girl to be with!

Cindy

I've booked 4 solo cruises with HAL. All of them were "off peak", and I got fares with single supplements of 130-140%. Much better than RCI, Celebrity, or NCL, who are relentless in insisting on 200%, with few exceptions.

I got cured of potluck roommates when I made my first and only trip to Europe. An otherwise delightful trip was ruined by someone with a stick up their....well, you get the picture! :D

Roz

Hey, works for me! Do you work at Monmouth or for AT&T? My younger son's Godparents moved back to Holmdel because he got transferred back with AT&T, or Avaya, or whatever it is. She got a job as a librarian at Monmouth. That was umpty years ago, though. They actually lived in Little Silver.

Where do you like to cruise?

What in the world does "hammybee" mean?:)

Cindy

I was reading this with great intrest. I love to travel, esp cruise. However, I just save a little bit more to pay that single supplement because if I can't room with a person that I know about, esp their habits of sleeping, being tidy,wanting company to visit,etc, I want my own room.

The last person that I knew that used the HAL single share program lucked out and had the room to herself. I admit that you do read about some people that meet great people, but the bag is very mixed.

HAL offers decent solo rates (except on the Alaskan cruises :( :( ) so that's the way that I would go.

IRuthC: I am a fat, frumpy, middle-aged (58) soon-to-be-retired "mom". May I be your roomie someday? I'm a fun girl to be with!

Cindy

With that description I have to ask: are you sure you're not me? :D

Hey, if and when we want to take the same cruise I'd be happy to compare notes with you.

And I love that idea of a sliding scale based on cruise days. Anything that saves $$$$$ works for me.

I've done three solo cruises now with HAL, and all three times I've paid the single supplement. For me it's worth it - I'd rather have my own room that I can come and go from as I please.

On all three I got very good deals, albeit a little more than the going per-person rate. Compared with Celebrity, which, like Cunard, wanted 200-220% MORE, even for an inside, HAL is probably one of the more solo-friendly lines.

Archived