Bonine and children

pamelazzz

I was wondering if anyone could give their opinions on giving Bonine to children. My children will sail (and fly) for the first time in September. Not knowing if they get seasick should I start them on bonine the day ahead just to be safe or wait until the need arose? Thanks in advance.

last year when we cruised. My 4YO were very happy putting on these bands on her wrist (more like an pretty accessory for her), but my almost 2YO refused to put them on. The sea motion didn't seem to bother him as much. We were also on the lowest floor inside cabin where the rolling motion seemed to be minimized.

I asked my doctor before we cruised, and he told me how much Bonine my children could have. I forgot the amount now, but I know it would've involved cutting a tablet. I wouldn't give meds as a preventative to a child who may or may not become seasick, but I would have something on hand in case it's needed.

My kids didn't have any problem on the cruise, and we did have one big storm one night -- LOTS of people were sick -- crew and passengers. At dinner that night, our assistant waiter was missing because he was sick. Our waiter asked if we were okay, and he made the comment that KIDS are never seasick. I don't know how true that is, but I'd think he'd be in a position to know!

I inquired about giving the meds prior to any seasickness because I had read somewhere an opinion that the meds did not work well once you were already ill. Thanks so much for the info, knowing that children aren't seasick as often as adults is helpful, I will just bring the pediatrician recommended doses/med in event of emergency.

pamelazzz..... I have given my children the less drowsy dramamine. A half of a tablet for my 8 year old..... and one tablet for my 11 year old. They work very well....and I haven't noticed any side effects.

Yeah.....it does work better to head off the seasickness.....but, with the children, I usually wait until I hear some complaint.

Myself, I know what the feeling is.....prior to being sick. I take it then.

Archived