Noordam, September 16th

bjpnev

We sailing on the 10 day Mediterranean cruise and need some advice on travelling in Italy. We arrive in Rome the day before the ship sails, staying at the Quirinale Hotel on Via ****onale.

We're hoping for tips on how to get from the Rome/Fuimicino Airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship the next day.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joan and Bernie

You can take a cab from the airport into town. Or you may take a train to Termini Station and grab a cab from there. Busses run the route also. With luggage, I'd think a cab would be the easiest mode of transport.

As to getting to the ship, a cab would be very expensive. It's a good half-hour journey, and sometimes longer if traffic is heavy. A train runs to Civitavecchia, but you then have a good distance to schlep your luggage to the port. There are limo services available to take you out, or you can purchase a transfer from HAL.

Another possibility is to see if there's a roll call for your sailing. If not, start one. You can then see if there are others who would share a ride to the port, thus saving you money. The private limo services charge based on the number of passengers, so the more people you have the better the deal.

You might want to go to the Europe section in the ports of call area of Cruise Critic. You'll probably find some discussion there on transportation in Rome.

Good luck.

By all means, take a cab from airport to hotel, assuming you have the normal amount cruisers' luggage.

I think best bet from Rome to Civitivecchia is HAL transfer, unless you find somebody on roll call who would like to share a limo. I've never managed to drive it in less than an hour!

One small problem: last time I checked HAL was not using the Quirinale as one of their air-sea hotels, so you may have to take a cab to one of the hotels they use (Visconti Palace and one other I can't recall). Your travel agent should be able to check this out and find the most convenient pick-up point for you.

By the way, the Quirinale is an excellent choice due to its central location, within easy walking distance of most of central Rome. It's old but quite nice.

Archived