Live from Crown: Carolyn’s Crown Princess Blog

Hi Luna, I'm glad that you called Princess Headquarters. That was very nice of you. They should be aware of the situation. (gkny)

----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, gkny.

I do not know the answer to the customs question in San Juan; that is why I am trying to find out the facts.

My efforts here have simply been an attempt to separate various personal observations from facts. This is something that Carolyn, and any other editor, would agree is important to the reporting of accurate information to others.

Whatever the actual facts are, we will have a great time because we will be with great friends, and are prepared to adjust our schedule and deal with any contingency that might arise.

See you soon on the Crown! :)

On your request, Ugly, and my apologies (I did not get the menus or even see the menus, bad!). Let's hope that someone on the existing cruise can pick one up....

Carolyn

Hi Caolyn, when you're picking up menus to bring home for posting, could you please include the room service menu and the children's menu? Do they have a children's menu in the dining room for lunch and dinner, or are they the same. Thank you!

Carolyn, Thank you for your reviews. I have been reading them all week. My husband and I are going on the Crown in about 2 weeks. You have been very helpful. I am curious that the brochure mentions 2 restaurants that I don't see anywhere on CC. They are the Botticelli Dining Room and the Sterling Steak House. Did Princess make a mistake? I would appreciate if you can clarify. Thanks.

Carolyn, Thank you for your reviews. I have been reading them all week. My husband and I are going on the Crown in about 2 weeks. You have been very helpful. I am curious that the brochure mentions 2 restaurants that I don't see anywhere on CC. They are the Botticelli Dining Room and the Sterling Steak House. Did Princess make a mistake? I would appreciate if you can clarify. Thanks.

Sterling Steak House, which exists on other Princess ships, has been replaced on Crown with the Crown Grill. It is a specialty steak/seafood restaurant that costs $25 per person.

The Botticelli Dining Room is simply the main dining room for those who have selected traditional dining. There are two separate seatings, early and late. Note there are two other slightly smaller dining rooms, Michelangelo and Da Vinci, that are used for passengers who select anytime dining.

I would suggest visiting the Princess website, where you can see the deck plans for Crown and all the specific restaurants, lounges, etc.

Hi, Alcuemar. While the vast majority of passengers were North American, there was a nice mix of folks from other backgrounds, including Finland (my husband;) ). Princess doesn't print Patter in a variety of languages like Royal Caribbean does, though.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Had you seen any Spanish people on board?

Hugs and congratulations for the thread, It is reallly fantastic!!

Alcuemar

Hi, Ugly. I'm definitely going to go into a lot more detail in the review. But I'll address the anytime question now. That's what we had (as opposed to traditional) and what I really love about it is if we're in the mood for a quiet dinner alone, well there are a nice quantity of tables for two. If we're up for meeting new people? You just dive into a big table. And, very fun, if you meet some like-minded souls and strike up a friendship (as we did with one couple) you can mosey on to dinner together....

I've never liked traditional but it's nice that on Princess you really do have the option for either. I'm amazed that all the other like-lines haven't figured out how to do that.....

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

You will probably put this information in your cruise review, but I was wondering what you thought about the food. I picked up little snippets, here and there, like you enjoyed the Crown restaurant (the new specialty one), Vines, the International Cafe, but perhaps you could comment on the other locations. How about the Caribe, the main dining rooms, room service, Sabatinis, etc. Sorry if you've already mentioned these and I've just missed it.

Also, did you have anytime dining or traditional? I'm a little nervous about anytime dining (we're on the waiting list for traditional and not likely to get it). We like to meet new people, but we kind of look forward to getting to know the people at our table over the duration of the cruise. Also, my husband and I love each other, but sometimes it's nice to talk to other people, a whole 10 days alone with each other and we might go a bit crazy! Anyone have any experiences to share re anytime dining?

Thank you!

Easy answers! Yes, Lotus Spa sells Elemis, still. And the product pitch strategy is in full flood. Also, there is a sign at the International Cafe that identifies which items cost, and how much.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for all the great info! I was wondering if the Lotus spa still uses/sells Elemis products? Also, is there a sign at the Int'l Cafe listing what is free and what isn't. If you had to choose to eat at the Crown Grill or Sabatinis what would be your choice?

Can't help you re theme nights (they're pretty low key, anyway) I think the best nights for Sabatini are the first and the last....

Carolyn

Thank you so much for all this marvelous information! I am going out on 7/29--Eastern run. Without missing any formal nights or theme nights, do you have any advise as to which night would be best to make a Sabitini's reservation? :)

SeaMatesNYC, enjoyed your feedback -- and I loved Sammy, too.

Wondering, which lines do offer (in your experience) FOD meetings automatically?

Carolyn

We sailed on 6/23 on the Crown and want to tell all that it was the best cruise we ever had. The ship is magnificent. Despite others comments about the food, we had the best we have ever had onboard, and are very picky being Manhattanites who dine out often at "quality" restaurants. The food was made even more special by the special treats compliments of the Maitre D' who I suppose can't have something special made for everyone, but certainly surprised us some extra apps. Anyways, the spa pool was never very crowed until towards the end. The large pools are not our thing anyways. We loved the Cruise Port at Grand Turk. Thought the beach and water were very clean. Don't go to Margarittaville, if you don't find that sort of thing entertaining. Bermuda - spectacular. Will go back for a land vacation. Back to onboard - Adagio - a must for anyone who enjoys cabaret, and award winning artist - Sammy - plays nightly - and I mean awards for Cabaret in NYC the best of them all for that sort. Catalin and Christian at Tradewinds (I think that was the one, the bar upstairs at the pool without MUTS) come in for special praise for their poise and conversation. All around, found the CD staff to be less than welcoming, but they never have much to do with our vacation anyways...last but not least, they need to have a pre-planned FOD meeting and not wait for people to beg. Hope Mr. James Lay, CD, takes note of that. Truly the best time we have had on a cruise. Now just two months til Greece - can't wait!

Cheers and happy sailing!

Just kidding. I think to plan anything before hand is risky (people can be late boarding, etc.). If I recall correctly the muster occured just before sailaway and was quite thorough -- you could tell the drill had been revamped since the Star Princess fire. Also, I think it was mostly the outdoor bars -- and the piazza outlets -- that were open. Probably the Wheelhouse opened right after the muster drill, though....

Carolyn

Carolyn,

The Aug. 7th sailing CC group is trying to arrange out meet and greet. I can't remember the timing of the muster drill and sailaway. Do we have time to meet up for a bit at the Wheelhouse without missing the sailaway? Any other suggestions? We are planning to contact James to arrange an organized meeting in addition to this first encounter. Thanks for all your helpful hints and to everyone elses insights!

So far we only have 28 people on our roll call for 8/7. Please sign on if you haven't already!

Sari

Hi, weatherguy. Nope, no advance reservations for Sabatini...or for the Sanctuary. Re Sanctuary, I've asked if there's any change planned -- because my sense was the line wasn't really sure what they were going to do with it. So stay tuned....

Carolyn

Yes, Carolyn, I think they should continue answering questions. While we're at it, I've got a couple easy short questions for you.

Can a guest make reservations in Sabatini before boarding the ship? (Just like making tour excursion reservations.)

Next, can the same be done in making reservations at the Sanctuary before boarding the ship?

Sorry, Sandytoes, I didn't remember to bring a list....

I see where someone quite helpfully :D (thank you) posted the list of champagnes. There were some excellent wines by the bottle on the standard list, really interesting fare on the Vines, Sabatini and Crown Grill lists....

We discovered Cuvaison, for instance, hadn't had that before. And I fell in love with Pouilly Fusse.

It's not rude to bring a special bottle into the dining room ($15 corkage, though). But I wouldn't do it just to bypass the wine list -- like, say, bringing a $6 of Beringer White Zin or something....

I don't think your steward would be able to help you. If you have a reservation though you could probably drop the bottle off at lunch time and ask the maitre d' to have it ready.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Are you going to upload a wine list as well?

I have a favorite wine & champagne and I am not to sure if Princess offers it.

If not, I would like to bring along a few bottles for the cruise.

Is it considered rude to bring a bottle into the Dining Room to give to the waiter or should we ask our cabin steward to deliver it to where we are going to dine?

~ ~ Chris ~ ~

LOL, no, sorry Fran...I'm head-spinningly swamped with this thread just now. We've got it tentatively slated for July 25. I need (I really need) to back away, let it gel, and come back fresh to write the review. Though it won't be hard as so many of the good details are right in here!

But I can promise you -- there will be lots of new material, too.

Carolyn

Carolyn

Where will your full review be posted?

Leaving on 7/11 and would like to see all in one place even though I have been through this one from the beginning.

Thanks

Fran

Love Boat Dream and thepinkpanther:

If there's a quota I'm in BIG trouble . . .:eek:

I agree, it's not the clothes so much as ALL the other stuff!

Carolyn:

Thanks so much for all the valuable information. I can now put it to use beginning on 7/11.

Hi, Ginny. We've covered the Wheelhouse Bar but not Skywalkers. I'll say that my husband is a big disco fan and he adores Skywalkers, thinks it's the best at sea. It definitely was the late-late-late night place to be...and has a lovely terrace.

It's also a nice spot during the day. Very quiet. You can watch the wake (I find that soothing).

Re smoking, I am very sensitive to it and didn't notice a thing. I did notice that all the balconies now have sprinklers, though.

Carolyn

Maybe someone can step in and add there information on Skywalkers and the wheelhouse bar didn't really go there so I don't have any info. on them. I know in the explorers lounge there was no smoking

Hi, Katisdale, thanks for the nice words. On our trip, which started with Bermuda and finished up with Grand Turk and never saw the coast in between....

Carolyn

Please do keep the blog going. I have read every post. My question is can you see any of the US coast in either direction? I think it would be interesting to see the coastline from the sea. Thanks for all of the good information. We are going on the September 3 voyage and you have given us so much good data.

I don't know, figmentdj, with an avatar like yours, I'm a little bit scared to reveal much, LOL.

Actually it was nice! We weren't sure what to expect. They take you to this series of rooms downstairs, near the steam. There's like a bathroom with shower, then a small steam room (frankly nicer than the steam in the grotto). Steiner products are all lined up in order of how you use them...moisturizers and buffers and all sorts of wacky stuff. And shampoo and soap. Then you lather on the mud, very smooth, doesn't smell, and sit in the steam room.

It was more romantic-sweet than romantic-risque.

It also was a much needed pool of quiet time...we wound up deciding to take a trip to Amsterdam together (nothing meant by that, by the way, just that we had a chance to "dream" talk rather than reality talk).

Lovely.

I didn't see any slots in Club Fusion -- I believe they took 'em out though as you noted they were in the original design of the original Club Fusion (on Diamond).

Carolyn

Thanks Caroline for the great blog. At the risk of being too nosey, how was the couples rasul on your husbands birthday? I'm interested but may need some good reviews to convince my wife.

Anyone else, what cabins are obstructed on Lido? I wasn't aware of any.

Club Fusion, are there still slot machines in there like on the Diamond?

Thanks again.

Hi Melissa,

Yes, you can get on and off the ship more than once while in port. In ports where the shopping and beach is close, it's nice to get back on the ship for lunch if you wish, and then go back off the ship again later. Also, you can check onto the ship at the port of call and get back off again if you like. Sometimes we do this to buy a little bottled water or things for our room, after we've gotten rid our luggage.

Once you have your cruise ID card and a photo ID (I read you need this, too, for the Crown - at least in some ports) then you can come and go as you please.

Hello All

As a New cruiser I was wondering if you could get on and off the ship more than once while in port.

Thank you

Melissa

Cruising the Crown Aug 07, 2006!!!!

Howdy. You just order from room service. I was surprised at how quick it was -- 20 minutes maximum, we were still peering into closets and such:) . Of course everything was pretty much pre-packaged (hot dog in a foil bag, etc.).

I thought it was nice -- though lots of jokes about the high calorie count of the cheesecake. But I was like -- and the rest of the cruise won't be a high caloric bash? LOL.

Carolyn

Carolyn-

Thank you so much for posting all the replies, especially the unusual questions I asked. I will not waste my $ on the thermal suite. It's funny, it was included with my spa treatment on the CB - I was encouraged to use it. I'll spend my $ on the sanctuary.

You went above and beyond in reporting and answering questions.

Now, in addition to be addicted to Cruise Critic, I am now a lifetime fan of the editors/moderators!

One more question re: Brooklyn Nosh. Is it advertised in the stateroom (how to order, etc)? If not, just call room service? How long did it take to deliver? I'm planning an informal get together at 3PM for our cc group teens/preteens to meet and don't want the meal delivered to an empty cabin. We hope to be in the cabin by 1PM. (Planning to arrive at the port about 10:30AM). The only thing DH is excited about on the cruise is that meal.

I think this has been answered but I'll throw in my 20 cents. The servers get paid out of your service fee -- but you should still tip extra on beverages, such as a bottle of wine, et. al. If we have really excellent service, outstanding, I mean, we might slip the waiter $5 or $10 but by no means is it required.

Carolyn

I imagine this has already been covered, but I can't seem to find the answer. What is the policy for tipping at Sabatini's and The Crown Grill? Are there any unofficial guidelines with this? Do you give cash, or add it to your account? Are ALL the tips pooled? Thanks for any help with these questions! :D

Archived