Live from Crown: Carolyn’s Crown Princess Blog

The policy has always been that internet in free for PLatinum and Elite cruisers, but only in the internet cafe. If you bring your laptop, you have to buy time at the purser's desk, and everyone pays for that. We brought our laptop on the Golden last year -- since we are Platinum, we discussed this at length with the staff but got nowhere, so we just put the laptop away and went into the cafe.

Thank you cynbar and ginnynj for your answers and input.

I guess I will have to ask DH to carry my laptop ;) . I am so glad to find out that wifi is much faster than the IC. In my last cruise, there was often a loooong waiting time for using the IC, and many passengers were not very happy with Platinum/Elite members staying in front of the PCs and "taking their (free) time."

X

Yes, Caviargirl, they sell classes in "packages" but I don't have a price list here. There are free classes, though; "stretch and relax," step aerobics and meditation are complementary while pilates, yogoa and pulse group spin are listed as "pre paid". Usually charge is about $10 per class. I'd be interested to see if buying a package of 'em results in a cost savings....

Carolyn

Carolyn, is it true you cannot buy a single class in the gym, but are forced to buy a package of 4? Also, is it correct that there are NO free fitness classes?

Thanks for clarifying.

Hi, Mur-Cruiser (and just a hint to all: I'm gonna be skipping back and forth through various pages so this request for info was on 15, the next one might be from 4, LOL. I'm just trying to fit in everyone...).

Just got a follow-up email from Phyllis, our boards' member who arranged the meeting for us. She was led to (jjames@princesscruises.com), the onboard person who arranges the meetings. Her request was met with the following email:

Thank you for your request. I would be more than happy to arrange a meet and greet for your group. Can you provide me with a date and time your group would like to meet? The first sea day is formal as well as the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party. I will set up the meet and greet as a "No Host Bar", and arrange for a location, there will be a server, and the gathering will be set up as a "No Host Bar", where each guest will pay for their own drinks. I will request to have dry snacks served. Please advise at your earliest convenience as the sailing is very near and I will need to inform the ship. Thank you and have a good day.

So someone from the boards needs to take the initiative and then just follow through on board. Phyllis made sure I got an invitation -- the get-together wasn't, I don't think, listed in the Patter.

Carolyn

I've been in touch with Jan James the Onboard Service Coordinator to see what she could do for us. Is Phyllis on the ship or else where?

The wife and I went to the finals on Saturday evening. There were 7 performers, 1 male and 6 female. All 7 were very good. The winner, a young lady from Denver, worked the crowd while singing a Christina Aquilera song. She clearly stood out from the rest. Based on her performance I would have to say that she performs in front of crowds quite often. The judges consist of a comedian and one of the gay male singers who flaunts it and one of the top female performers both from the production company on board. They voice their opinion but the crowd votes for the winner.

Ack! That's one place I forgot to check out (knew it was there, but never got there). Sorry, CaroleLee; perhaps someone onboard this week can give us the info....

Carolyn

Carolyn, NEVER EVER apologize for NOT doing laundry on a cruise! ;) :) LOL!

How is your wet/dry situation? How did you fare in LAST night's storm? I can't believe that they keep on coming!

Carol

Honeyclair, I love that idea, let me talk it over with the powers that be :p . I don't anticipate big changes with that ship, though (what was so fresh about Crown Princess was that it was a major re-tweaking of the Grand Class concept) but I was so impressed with the ingenuity of the designers that I really am intrigued by what comes next....

If not, we'll have to rely on your blog-in-a-thread, Honeyclair, LOL.

Carolyn

Carolyn, I like the rest of your avid readers have enjoyed your e-mails. My plans are a little different from the rest of your readers in some respects. I have only been on two cruises, one HAL one RCCL, but will be on the Coral in October doing the Canal. The reason I am so intrigued by your postings is because I will be on the Emerald on 23 April cruising the Greek Isles. Since the ships will be the same, the information that you have shared, will help me tremendously. I would like you to do the inaugural of the Emerald (as you'd mentioned) then let us all know if there are any differences. The only problem with that idea is that I will be doing the opposite leg (Venice to Rome) and may not have time to read your words and get to Venice on time. Again, thank you so much!!!

We missed every storm imaginable, so odd and lucky and I'm not complaining, trust me. I think the only time it rained was our Friday sea day...I had just claimed a chair in the Sanctuary (one of a few left) and it started to pour. I left and when I came back...all chairs were occupied...bummer!

I wondered how they did last night, heading south, but I have to think they were below the storms. We got 'em at home, though, for sure, the sky was that eerie mud-green that reminds me of the Wizard of Oz's wicked-witch-of-the-west.

Carolyn

Carolyn, NEVER EVER apologize for NOT doing laundry on a cruise! ;) :) LOL!

How is your wet/dry situation? How did you fare in LAST night's storm? I can't believe that they keep on coming!

Carol

I have organized a get together for the 7/29/06 Crown sailing. Since the term "Meet and Mingle" has already been taken, I chose "Cruise and Schmooze" in honor of the Brooklyn port from which the ship is sailing.

Jan James was extremely helpful. I would suggest that you get her a tentative count as early as possible. Getting a rough number sounds easier than it actually is. It requires a lot of cooperation from the participants in replying and giving you fairly accurate numbers.

Hopefully at some point Princess will realize that it may actually be to their benefit to "court the favor" of the board members.

Bon Voyage to all,

Hi, Sealegs9, thanks for your patience. And you ask some good questions that no one else has! Okay, here goes:

*Thermal suite is only available for the cruise -- it's $80 per person, $130 per couple. I have to say I thought the room was depressing and creepy -- it's a deck below the spa (near the Rasul mud room), no music, early 1960s YMCA ambience, didn't care for it. I was thinking of those on Royal Caribbean and Holland America, where they open up to the sea ... now that's lovely.

People were a bit hot and under the collar about the fact that even when purchasing spa treatments (especially expensive ones) passengers weren't given access....

Did you know that they actually removed passenger cabins to make room for the grotto area?

*This may change, re the Sanctuary, but when I left it was first come, first served and so if a lot of people showed up, for instance, at 1 p.m. and you came after lunch at 1:30 p.m. and it was booked, well, tough luck. I like the idea of reserving at the spa -- think that sounds easier. But I don't think the Sanctuary is part of the spa and frankly I don't think they anticipated how popular it was going to be.

If anyone is on a future cruise and prices and policies change (anticipate something will) will you drop me a note at editor@cruisecritic.com?

*The Brooklyn Balcony Nosh was fun, whimsical. For $7 plus tax and tip, you get a hot dog, bottle of Brooklyn Lager (beer) and as you've probably read elsewhere a slice of the famous Junior's cheese cake that, were it a ship, would measure more tons than Crown Princess. We ordered right after boarding and it was fun but more of a novelty. Would I spend $7 again? Well, as y'all already know I hate the rush of the buffet on embarkation day so perhaps....

*We are going to upload Patters and menus.

*James Lay indeed was the cruise director -- he was nice and I remembered him from Caribbean Princess. I'm frankly more likely to appreciate laid-back cruise directors than manic ones...and I'm not even going to venture into the debate, LOL.

Hope that helps!

Carolyn

Carolyn- Thank you so very much for your reviews and answers to questions. Some of our roll call members are reporting back to our thread. You answered most of our Q's- here are a few more:

1. Does the Crown offer afternoon tea in the Dining Room, as on other Princess ships? If so, only on sea days or on Port days? What Time? (trying not to conflict with our CC "get togather" - I'm the organizer. I noticed you mentioned the Int'l Cafe has afternoon tea and wondered if it's moved there.

2. What is the charge for use of the thermal suite (for the day or entire cruise)? I loved it on the CB and want to use it on the Crown.

3. How do you make reservations for the Sanctuary- at the spa? How far in advance- a day or two or that day?

4. Back to food - Would you please post either the dining room menus OR give us a list of the theme nights, so we can get an idea of which nights to book Crown Steakhouse as soon as we board? Thanks.

5. Any feedback from fellow pax on the "quality" of the Brooklyn Balcony Nosh"? DH and DS want it, but we're from NY and I want to make sure they won't be disappointed. It's only on embarcation day. Do you know the hours (is it in the patter)?

6. Would it be possible for you to upload the Patters or a link to them so we can get an idea of activities? (This is for my planning of our CC meetings).

7. I did not see mention of the CD- James Lay. He was on our CB sailing last April. Low key- however he personally conducted the ballroom dancing lessons -his parents were prof dancers. We did the swing dancing and it was a hoot. Any comments on entertainment not already mentioned?

Thanks for everything- will pass along to our roll call-8/25/06.

Hi, brazcons. Re Vines, there really isn't any point in going there if you're not into wine. They don't serve anything else. Not even soda! One of our group in fact wanted a soda and had to trip over to International Cafe to get it. They do have water:o .

On the other hand, the International Cafe, while a full bar, is really more about the coffees and such. I went down every morning for a couple of diet cokes, my colleagues had cappuccinos and espressos and lattes -- and it was always bustling. The only time I ordered a cocktail there was when I had the chocolate fondue (glass of Chianti to go with, along with a sidecar of Diet Coke). So you should feel very comfortable....

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thank you for your postings.

Alas, I drink neither alcohol nor coffee, but both Vines and the International Cafe sound like nice places to hang out and the food sounds great too. Would there be a problem partaking of these two venues without imbibing of their beverages? Is the sushi in the International Cafe gratis?

Thanks again.

I wanted to add something to SI Cruiser's list. He was right on about the piazza performers. The Piazza itself was magnificent; located on deck five (three deck high atrium, goes to 6 & 7) there are all sorts of performers. My favorites were the opera singer, the classical group, and the barbershop quartet! There seemed to be something going on all the time.

On top of that, one of the signature bests of the atrium is that the International Cafe has its own pastry chefs and ovens -- so when they're backing croissant or cookies, oy! The smell wafts all over the place. And yes, the croissant and cookies are free!

Carolyn

The Good:

1. Embarkation - arrived at the pier at 12:30 was in my room by 1:00

2, Disembarking - Aqua 2 tags - walked off the ship 9:30, found luggage with no problem, went through customs/immigration and was in the car by 9:50

3. The bands, especially Epithany and Elua but only when they are allowed to make their own muscial selections.

4. Comedians, Piazza Performers.

5. Sabatini's

6. Room Stewards and wait staff in Michelangelo's

7. Excursion Staff

8. Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda - take the bus $8 roundtrip

9. Trunk Bay Snorkeling in St. John

10. Margaritaville in Grand Turk - poolside

11. The Best - Beautiful Ship and all rooms/suites clean

The Bad:

1. James Lay CD is boring and non-imaginative

2. Princess dictates musical choices - bands play Yellowbird, Margaritaville and Bob Marley 4-5 times a day.

3. Crown Grill - save your money for Sabatini's

4. Horizon Court breakfast - hot food is never hot.

5. DaVinci wait staff are slow and unattentive

6. Wine - elimination of wine steward in the dining room and mark-ups of 200% to 500%.

7. Limited number of specialty drinks and most are poorly made.

8. Paying $15 for the Sanctuary

9. Production Shows -especially Motor City are High School quality

10. $25 for 5x7 photo

11. The worst - immigration in San Juan 2-3 hours.

Hit or Miss:

1. The food in the Dining Rooms.

2. Cruise Staff - pool side activities

Hi, Newbie, I'll tackle both your questions here.

I loved our mini-suite -- and my only regret is I seriously didn't spend enough time in it. You enter and as with other cabins (insides, outsides, balcony) there is the bathroom of course but it's turned into an alcove that also includes a closet. Almost like you enter the bathroom through the closet. I like that because you're not going straight from the bathroom into your little hallway, and I liked the openness of the closet (easier to find things).

The cabin itself has two sections. The first is the sleeping area, the usual, but the new beds and linens were a big improvement. There's a flat screen tv with remote. In the second section (not closed off with a curtain -- frankly that would be an elegant touch) there's another flat screen television (which oddly enough would suddenly come on when I was watching television from the bed -- got to be a bit annoying). There's a long, full sized couch (did I mention onboard stuff I'd like to see on sale? I loved that couch, like a 60's divan but trendy). There's a small table. A small fridge that's empty (bought water in San Juan and stocked it full). A small armchair. And then you have the balcony. There are two nice loungers (not full stretch), a metal table just big enough for a balcony dinner, and two chairs. It's a bit cramped. But fine.

The bathroom is lovely -- interesting design scheme, nice (ahhhh) bathtub, and enough storage space for toiletries.

Very, very comfortable. But I also saw some Baja cabins and frankly for the amount of time we spent in our cabin they would've been just fine. Of course, we had packed light and yet somewhere along the way we must have picked up some stuff (LOL) and it occupied most surfaces....

Carolyn

Hi,

I have never been on a cruise and am booked next March on the Crown. We have a mini suite... How are they? Any insight, info for a first timer would be appreciated. Thanks

We missed every storm imaginable, so odd and lucky and I'm not complaining, trust me. I think the only time it rained was our Friday sea day...I had just claimed a chair in the Sanctuary (one of a few left) and it started to pour. I left and when I came back...all chairs were occupied...bummer!

I wondered how they did last night, heading south, but I have to think they were below the storms. We got 'em at home, though, for sure, the sky was that eerie mud-green that reminds me of the Wizard of Oz's wicked-witch-of-the-west.

Carolyn

Carolyn, I was being nosy and personal! LOL! I meant at home - how were your house and belongings? Affected by the flooding? And then we got another big storm LAST night, just in time for your return home! How did you do in that?

Just thinking about all that you did for us..........I'm trying to look out for you!

Okay, apparently there was some confusion about tipping so I went to check it out (your intrepid reporter). There is no automatic gratuity (and I both asked and paid for spa treatments so can report that that was consistent). Not in any spa on any ship in Princess' fleet. And you can tell from the receipt that it's not in there. So don't worry about double tipping (I can tell you that if you sail on Queen Mary 2 and Pride of Aloha you better worry about it -- it's a trap!).

Dobie, I wanted to address the Steiner "philosophy" of trying to sell you products after treatments. I think it's unacceptably aggressive and I believe I addressed it earlier. It's not just a problem on Princess, it's EVERYWHERE. Of all the bad policies in cruising I see this one is the worst because it's been going on forever, people have been complaining forever and nobody does a damn thing. I was even on Silversea once and got a product pitch (and they were all "oh we don't allow that") -- well, yes, you apparently did.... I've had it, recently, on Carnival Liberty -- the woman was so obnoxious and scary (and I'm no pushover) that though I declined the product I did tip her 20 percent to my everlasting chagrin.

It's like that AOL "quitting" situation -- have ya'll heard about this? -- where, when you try to get out of using AOL, the people on the phone are almost abusive about keeping you on. Not quite the same thing but....

Some therapists are nice and get the message and back off, others do not. My best tactic has been to just say no up front so you don't feel stress (either worrying about it or dealing with it).

Carolyn

Apparently a lot of folks don't know that you're supposed to (tip). (Carolyn)

Dear Carolyn,

Thank you for taking the time to post.

I have a question about your above comment. Of course I know I'm suppose to tip for spa treatments; I do so very generously at spas here at home and in accordance with the service I receive.

However, when I booked my spa treatments online for my upcoming Crown cruise, it clearly states below the price that "a 15% gratuity will automatically be added to the cost of all spa treatments."

In that case, it seems reasonable that folks believe that they have given a gratuity because the price they actually pay is already 15% more than the printed cost of the treatment.

If Princess did not automatically impose this 15% gratuity, I and others might not be hesitant or reluctant to tip additionally.

It is not that folks are not aware that they should tip, it is that they probably realize that they have already tipped, regardless of their level of satisfaction with the services rendered.

Hi, Bruce. Got to be honest -- it usually is my favorite lounge on Princess ships and this one, not so much. It was dark. I thought the music was banal. There were better views in other places (in Vines it was fun to watch the action, in Adagio you were way up on top of the ship).

So I went a couple of times...but never stayed long. But of course we all have different preferences. And there was the sweetest waiter there -- he is very tall and is from Grenada....

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thanks for your reports. They are wonderful. DW & I love The Wheelhouse. What are your impressions of it on the new Crown? Also on a personal note when you stop in and Elua are on would you please take a moment to stop by the stage and pass along a BIG Boston Hello from Sharon & Bruce.

Thanks a million!!!

Have to say -- that though there was little time to explore entertainment options (a failing of mine, hope you'll forgive) the one thing I got to see, though didn't participate, was one of the Ballroom Blitz workshops. It looked fabulous (I was actually happy to sit there, with my laptop and typing away, and watch Jaime and Jackie and all the passengers twisting and turning in the tango. Neat program, going like gangbusters, very, very popular.

Had a chance to chat with Jaime the other night and he was saying that they were heading off to Princess' headquarters after we docked for meetings about expanding it fleet-wise and also for a few days in a music studio creating a DVD or CD (not sure which). That would mean that passengers who participated could buy it onboard and take it home and "practice". I think it's a lovely idea....

Back to my treatise on bad merchandise in the shops, LOL. Now this would be something worth taking home!

Anyway, don't know how long the dvd or whatever will take and even in their absence the program they created goes on. Try it. It's fun.

Carolyn

My Wife and I just got off the maiden voyage of the crown.

Anyone on the ship interested in learning how to actually dance for your next wedding or party should at least attend a couple of Jaime and Jackie McVicar's lessons offered on the crown. The two are international champions who have been teaching for 40 years, are passionate about dancing but also a hoot to take a class from.

My wife has been pushing me to take lessons for 21 years, I did it on this ship and enjoyed it a great deal.

JackN in South Bend

We have been adding how many cruise have you done and the total was 108, It is true???????? My wife don't believe it!!!

What do yo prefer RC or Princess?

Alcuemar

Carolyn, is it true you cannot buy a single class in the gym, but are forced to buy a package of 4? Also, is it correct that there are NO free fitness classes?

Thanks for clarifying.

They promoted one thing and changed their minds. (At least about serving pub fare.) So sad! I looked it up on the princess web site and I can't find anything about the food at the Wheelhouse bar anywhere except in old news clips: http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na723 (I have noticed quite a few other websites still list the info as part of their descriptions of the Crown) And I was so excited about the shepard's pie... Thanks for looking!

Well, 2happytravelers, I got a little bit excited, LOL, when I read your post cause I love pub fare. And, at the same time I'm on this trip we're also featuring a blog from contributor Fran Golden who's on Queen Mary 2 -- and she's raving about the food at the Golden Lion pub.

Alas. No pub fare in the Wheelhouse. It doesn't open at lunchtime (or at least not that I noticed...I do have a bunch of Patters to go through).

Carolyn

PS On which ships does Princess offer this and what is featured? Is there a charge?

We have been adding how many cruise have you done and the total was 108, It is true???????? My wife don't believe it!!!

What do yo prefer RC or Princess?

Alcuemar

Yes, true:) and I just turned 50 but started at 9!

I have given up on RCI and have not been on Princess for 15 years but intend to fix that some time soon so will let you know!

Hi Carolyn,

You will probably put this information in your cruise review, but I was wondering what you thought about the food. I picked up little snippets, here and there, like you enjoyed the Crown restaurant (the new specialty one), Vines, the International Cafe, but perhaps you could comment on the other locations. How about the Caribe, the main dining rooms, room service, Sabatinis, etc. Sorry if you've already mentioned these and I've just missed it.

Also, did you have anytime dining or traditional? I'm a little nervous about anytime dining (we're on the waiting list for traditional and not likely to get it). We like to meet new people, but we kind of look forward to getting to know the people at our table over the duration of the cruise. Also, my husband and I love each other, but sometimes it's nice to talk to other people, a whole 10 days alone with each other and we might go a bit crazy! Anyone have any experiences to share re anytime dining?

Thank you!

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for all the great info! I was wondering if the Lotus spa still uses/sells Elemis products? Also, is there a sign at the Int'l Cafe listing what is free and what isn't. If you had to choose to eat at the Crown Grill or Sabatinis what would be your choice?

Archived