Live from Crown: Carolyn’s Crown Princess Blog

LoveBoatDream asked a great question about the Savvy Traveler book. Here it’s called Passport to Value. They’re handed out liberally, no cost to buy one. The discounts are often faux ones, other times good ones, such as 15 percent off spa treatments on port days, 10 percent off a purchase of Steiner products in the spa as long as you buy more than $250 worth (?), sign up for three for-fee computer classes and get the fourth frere. That kind of stuff.

Hi Carolyn

The Savvy Traveler is a different book. We got the Passport to Value in our cabin. The Savvy Traveler is a book that the shopping lecturer was selling. It is similar to the Entertainment Book we buy it home. It had discounts to merchants in the different ports. It cost $20. A lot of it were not "real" discounts. But, there were enough freebies to make the book worth at least the $20. Especially since I was able to use it for a spa discount too.

If you haven't heard of it, then maybe they aren't selling it on the Crown

thanks!

Susan

What about Trader Joes? They sell wine and they’re big enough to be open on Sundays…. This store is fabulous, a west coast import, and just opened in Red Hook….

Anybody know?

And p.s. as a helpful member noted, corkage is $15.

Carolyn

The Trader Joes in CT do not sell wine. I'm not sure if the ones in New York are allowed to either.

You don’t pay in advance. Anybody know if you can pay by credit card?

I believe someone on the inaugural said they did do that.

Oh, re ID. You’re told to take a photo id (I used my license and it worked fun) with you when you get off the ship (though San Juan was the only one who really looked at it). If you only have a passport, make a copy through the purser’s office – I wouldn’t take the passport with you, too much of a chance of losing it.

Do you know for teens who don't yet have photo driver's licenses?

I have a high school issued photo ID, do you remember seeing any teens using this form of ID? Thanks.

Brian

Brian,

This is from the NYS Liquor Commssion:

"What is acceptable proof of age to purchase alcohol in New York State?

A valid driver's license or non-driver identification card issued by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, the Federal Government, a State Government, Commonwealth, Possession or Territory of the United States or a Provincial Government of Canada; or a valid U.S. passport, or valid passport of any other country; or a valid military ID from the U.S. (Section 65-b.2(b) - ABC Law".

I believe that alcohol will not be sold to anyone under 21 in NY.

I believe that alcohol will not be sold to anyone under 21 in NY.

Rich,

I expect that to be the case. I wanted to know from Carolyn about going through customs in San Juan since she mentioned you need a Photo ID and I don't yet have a license. I was wondering if my high school ID would be good enough for this purpose.

Brian

I believe someone on the inaugural said they did do that.

Do you know for teens who don't yet have photo driver's licenses?

I have a high school issued photo ID, do you remember seeing any teens using this form of ID? Thanks.

Brian

Brian -

My daughter used her HS photo ID for a few cruises before she got her driver's license. It works perfectly fine for any port that will require you to have photo ID.

Today’s the first day I got a look at the boutiques and please, I hope I don’t offend anyone, but s-n-o-r-e. The liquor’s definitely more expensive than in San Juan (even more than Grand Turk which wasn’t the best place to deal), the merchandise is uninspired. How many Swarovski crystal pieces do people really buy? I think they’re lovely don’t get me wrong. But what do they have to do with our cruise?

I have a shopping list. I want to buy the specially, extremely thirsty towels they use in the Sanctuary (different from the normal ones). I want to buy the furniture in the Sanctuary (it would look lovely on our deck). I love the eucalyptus shampoo and lotion; I’d buy that in a heart-beat. Adore the bed’s duvet and linen (not to mention the pillow itself).

Alas, none of this stuff is for sale. My husband’s relieved (less wear and tear on the Amex), I’m disappointed.

I have always wondered why cruise lines don’t sell to their greatest strength: the stuff we use and enjoy on our trip, when taken home, only serves to refresh the memories!

There were a couple of interesting items, I’ll admit; there was a model of the ship ($275) in the jewelry shop; that could be a nice Christmas gift. And there was, as well, a nautical map detailing the specific journey of our voyage. It was being offered at the art auction. I have to think that it is a much more crystallizing memory than a Peter Max.

Does anyone agree? Disagree? What would you want to buy?

Carolyn

It’s a beautiful day with a sea like glass (thinking that might not last, bearing in mind the weather reports we’ve heard “up north”) and I wandered through the Neptune pool area. The Caribbean band was playing and the tunes were so joyful and rhythmic (“Life Goes On” I think was the title of one) that there were folks reclining in a bank of five loungers, seemingly asleep, but the feet of each one twitched and moved to the music. Sitting on the edge of the pool, an older gent was dancing with his upper body and a young guy (i.e. 20s or 30s so now you know how old I am) was in the hot tub, banging his hand on the side in time to the music.

Carolyn

Today’s the first day I got a look at the boutiques and please, I hope I don’t offend anyone, but s-n-o-r-e. The liquor’s definitely more expensive than in San Juan (even more than Grand Turk which wasn’t the best place to deal), the merchandise is uninspired. How many Swarovski crystal pieces do people really buy? I think they’re lovely don’t get me wrong. But what do they have to do with our cruise?

I have a shopping list. I want to buy the specially, extremely thirsty towels they use in the Sanctuary (different from the normal ones). I want to buy the furniture in the Sanctuary (it would look lovely on our deck). I love the eucalyptus shampoo and lotion; I’d buy that in a heart-beat. Adore the bed’s duvet and linen (not to mention the pillow itself).

Alas, none of this stuff is for sale. My husband’s relieved (less wear and tear on the Amex), I’m disappointed.

I have always wondered why cruise lines don’t sell to their greatest strength: the stuff we use and enjoy on our trip, when taken home, only serves to refresh the memories!

There were a couple of interesting items, I’ll admit; there was a model of the ship ($275) in the jewelry shop; that could be a nice Christmas gift. And there was, as well, a nautical map detailing the specific journey of our voyage. It was being offered at the art auction. I have to think that it is a much more crystallizing memory than a Peter Max.

Does anyone agree? Disagree? What would you want to buy?

Carolyn

I love the shampoo and the lotion, and you are right it always brings back memories of the cruise. :D

Just a heads-up:

I hope you will understand (and my husband's been naggin' me) that I need a breather (oh god do I) and want to enjoy the ship just like the "normal" passengers, LOL.

So, starting the moment I finish this writing this message (well, to be honest I already wrote it and then this worst Internet system at sea timed out and I lost it, and yes, I should have done it in Word but I was being spontaneous:rolleyes: ) I'm going to play at being a passenger.

And so won't be coming online tomorrow!

Actually, tomorrow is hubby's birthday and we're celebrating in grand Princess style -- I'm surprising him with a balcony breakfast, the gift of a fab photo -- the casual one on the white background, you have to do that! -- in my hand-painted frame (and yes, I should have stuck to my inner writer rather than inner artist but I think I just need to practice on my next Princess cruise). And a rasul mud couples' treatment in the spa. I think it will be a fun day.

He is sitting right here, next to me (we're in Vines, watching as the formal night gorgeous-dressers are beginning to spill into the fab atrium) and has no clue:D !

All this is of course the prelude of saying that while I won't be posting tomorrow, I still have tons of good stuff, including the maitre 'd's wine tasting, dinner at Sabatini's tomorrow (I'm going to try to order in a funky way, see if it works), another (bummer, eh?) dinner at the Crown Grill, and a whole day to play onboard.

So check back on Monday (Cruise Critic offices are open, we're working) or later in the week and I'll have lots more to say. And hopefully, you'll keep the great comments coming.

Happy Fourth...and have a great weekend.

Carolyn

Call me crazy -- since I live in NJ -- but I believe there's a new one there. I hope I wasn't imagining it, LOL...we're thinking about stopping on the way home Sunday and stocking up.

Carolyn

There is no Trader Joes in Red Hook.

Even if there was, they do not sell wine.

Check this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=367908

Just a heads-up:

I hope you will understand (and my husband's been naggin' me) that I need a breather (oh god do I) and want to enjoy the ship just like the "normal" passengers, LOL.

So, starting the moment I finish this writing this message (well, to be honest I already wrote it and then this worst Internet system at sea timed out and I lost it, and yes, I should have done it in Word but I was being spontaneous:rolleyes: ) I'm going to play at being a passenger.

And so won't be coming online tomorrow!

Actually, tomorrow is hubby's birthday and we're celebrating in grand Princess style -- I'm surprising him with a balcony breakfast, the gift of a fab photo -- the casual one on the white background, you have to do that! -- in my hand-painted frame (and yes, I should have stuck to my inner writer rather than inner artist but I think I just need to practice on my next Princess cruise). And a rasul mud couples' treatment in the spa. I think it will be a fun day.

He is sitting right here, next to me (we're in Vines, watching as the formal night gorgeous-dressers are beginning to spill into the fab atrium) and has no clue:D !

All this is of course the prelude of saying that while I won't be posting tomorrow, I still have tons of good stuff, including the maitre 'd's wine tasting, dinner at Sabatini's tomorrow (I'm going to try to order in a funky way, see if it works), another (bummer, eh?) dinner at the Crown Grill, and a whole day to play onboard.

So check back on Monday (Cruise Critic offices are open, we're working) or later in the week and I'll have lots more to say. And hopefully, you'll keep the great comments coming.

Happy Fourth...and have a great weekend.

Carolyn

You have kept up a crazy pace with all the answers and we appreciate it immensily. Go and enjoy yourselves you deserve it. :)

Carolyn,

Wondering where you ate for breakfast? And, how was that?

I believe you mentioned that you didn't like eating at buffets, but did you get a chance ask other passengers what they think of the Horizon Court? Café Caribe?

Did you try Afternoon Tea? 24-hour Internet Café?

For a memorable dining experience on the Crown, can you please give us a rating on each dining rooms. Giving each restaurant a chance.

Thank you for giving us scrupulous details on your dining experience. Yummm....

~ ~ Chris ~ ~

Carolyn,

my hubby and i did the casual photos when on Vision of the Seas in February. We wore our White terry bathrobes for the photos and it was a scream. The photos are in our bedroom and came out great- We actually had a gathering of people watching and for the rest of the cruise people recognized us. Nice memento of our cruise.

Chris

Thank you Carolyn and everyone who has been sharing information. This is my first Princess Cruise and you all have really schooled me. I learned about this blog from the 8/7/2006 Roll Call and have been devouring everything here and on the other boards about the Crown every since. I am so glad we booked this ship!!!

To Carolyn's Hubby --

Happy Birthday to You,

You may have had to give up some activities for Carolyn to fill us in on the Crown. For that I am grateful.

You were also kind enough to share her while on vacation.

Thank you Carolyn's Husband

Here's wishing you an extra Grand Birthday.

Enjoy Your special day.

~ ~ ~ Chris ~ ~ ~

Carolyn,

Thanks for taking the time to fill us all in. Enjoy your husband's birthday and your "day off". We all appreciate all your efforts on our behalf and will wait till your return for more "ins & outs" of the Crown.

Sari

Thank you SO much for this thread. I've sailed NCL, RCI, and Carnival and we were debating who to try next. You've sold us on the Crown Princess!

Enjoy your day "off" tomorrow and Happy Birthday to your (very patient) husband!

Archived