Live from Crown: Carolyn’s Crown Princess Blog

Blondee -

We found net service SO slow, or non operational at some points, so I wouldn't rely on getting through on a phone.

Drink cards are available for $30-ish and are enforced pretty strictly.

No free wine. At all!

The fifth night (Ocho Rios) was surf & turf and the last night was lobster tails.

Definitely controlled by the passengers. There is a button at the far end of the pool. If someone wants to swim against the current, they just turn it on. Most folks don't last long swimming against it, I can tell you that. :)

Thanks TinaLee -- I'm glad to know that. I certainly don't want to be having to exercise on my VACATION! :D

Hi Carolyn

Thanks for your great posts. It heightens my anticipation for the coming cruise!

I may have missed your answer on this one:

Are they pushing the Savvy Traveler book (shopping lecturer) on the Crown. I have one from my past cruise and they offered a 20% spa discount if you had one. I was wondering if the same is true on the Crown.

Also, did you have your massage up in the Sanctuary. Was it nice or was it distracting to be up in the middle of things? Have you sat in the Sanctuary a lot? Is there still a rush to get up there or have things calmed down now that the price is higher?

thanks!

We are driving to the Terminal from central New Jersey. Any hints are parking (I noticed it is $20/day!), access etc.? How much time to leave before boarding? Lines?

I believe folks from the first cruise reported $164 for the whole voyage, which works out to $16 per day.

$16 * 9 = $144

$144 x 1.1375 (13.75% tax rate) = $163.80. Rounded to $164 for convenience's sake.

Just a quick note to say Adagio's definitely been our favorite after-dinner spot, in large part because we love the pianist up there at night. Sammy Goldstein is a sweetheart, he learns everyone's name from the get go (or tries) and then welcomes you back the next time. Even nicer? He didn't know a song we wanted to hear and by god the next night the minute we came in...he recognized us and played away. Beautifully, I might add.

He's only onboard for two more cruises (the next two) so try not to miss him if you're sailing soon.

Carolyn

While I’ve heard minor grumblings about the quality of shore excursions (no complaints on the ones I’ve tried but then again I’m more of an independent wanderer), I’ve been impressed with the department on this ship. One helpful feature is that they have easels set up in the area outside of the shore ex desk that show the excursions, highlight which are sold out, and even offer funny little “balloons” that let you know which tours have been added on to and have new availability (really kind of a “live” update).

So if your tour request is denied keep checking. In fact, there was a bumble on my requested “power snorkeling” tour in Grand Turk (never heard yes or no and then, when I checked back, it was sold out). But they found me a space.

I’d definitely make use of Princess’ online cruise personalizer beforehand for the tours that are must-see’s. But otherwise, you can be as flexible as morning-of if something’s available!

Carolyn

We chose this cabin as we thought it's location was good. Now I'm reading that some balconies are not covered. It's an AC mini-suite that is port side -- is this good?

Does anyone know if this has a covered balcony. If not, do you think we should stick with this cabin, or request another one (if so, what).

We do not sail until April 2007, so I may be able to switch this far our.

Thanks for the advice. This is only our third cruise.

Hi, Madelinerose. Room service is pretty standard fare (hot dogs and hamburgers, salads and cold sandwiches. Breakfast options are continental only (can’t speak for suites, alas). You can order wine by the bottle; a Robert Mondavi merlot is $26, a Beringer white zinfandel is $25 (that’s a little bit steep). There are liquor and mixer packages, like scotch and soda (one 375 m.l. bottle and three cans of soda water); cost is $15.

Speaking of liquor, I was all set and ready to buy a bottle of Gosling’s rum in Bermuda (it’s awesome dark rum, great for cooking as well as sipping J) – and couldn’t find it anywhere around the Dockyards area. Admittedly, if it hadn’t been Sunday (everything elsewhere is closed) we would have gone to shop in Hamilton anyway and I’m sure I would’ve found it there.

Carolyn

PS: I bought a bottle of duty free rum yesterday (Mt. Gay, don't be stupid like me -- I bought it at Gallery Gourmet, the fab market in Havensight, cause it was only $10 -- usually goes for $20 at home -- and feeling quite pleased with myself came across it at Riise for...$7.50. Alas, LOL). Anyway, bought one bottle of the rum and one bottle of white wine and neither were confiscated (and they were out in the open). Has that been y'alls Princess experience? I appreciated the fact that they treated me like an adult....

This morning (day 6 of the cruise) and en route to our last port of call – Grand Turk – I took a look at the aforementioned easels to see which were quickly sold out. So here’s a heads up:

*West End, Bermuda: New Waves Catamaran Snorkeling, Wildcat High Speed around-the-island boat ride (I did that, it was fun), and clear kayaking eco-tour. The trolley tour of the area was also pretty popular. Hint: We called on a Sunday and the island pretty much closes down on Sundays so there weren’t as many options, such as great shopping in Hamilton. But it’s such an easy place to explore independently – the ferry to Hamilton is right near the dock and the ride is 20 minutes. You can also take a ferry to St. Georges; takes 1 hour.

*San Juan: Sold out early were the catamaran sail ‘n swim, the trip to the Bacardi distillery, horseback riding at Ocean Trail and the bioluminescence bay kayak ride (at night). Hint: If you’re making your first visit to Old San Juan, it’s easy enough to explore independently. As tempting as it might be to spend the whole day poking around the shops and dining magnificently (I promise, our new port profile is coming), climbing around either the San Cristobal or El Morro forts. The forts, especially the latter, set amidst gorgeous green parkland, are fun for kids, too….

Carolyn

*St. Thomas: Here, the more exotic Water Island Bike Ride sold out fast. It’s limited in numbers. Did you know, by the way, that Water Island is officially the fourth Virgin Island? It sits at the mouth of St. Thomas’ harbor (you’ve seen it, you just might not know what it is). And it’s got a beautiful if basic beach (Honeymoon Beach); check out our St. Thomas port profile for info on how to get to it.

The bike ride is pretty much limited to shore excursions, I believe, because it’s a small operator. Also popular and relatively new is the “BOB” (breathing observation bubble); it’s like snorkeling but you stay dry. Two other big sellers, early on, were the catamaran to St. John and lunch and the on deck ocean racing excursion. Hint: There are island observation tours that accommodate disabled folks. Also, for shopping – you really don’t need a tour. Just take a safari cab to the heart of Charlotte Amalie and wander around.

A lot of folks went to eat at places like the Greenhouse – it’s a big tourist joint – but if you really want a lovely, elegant experience (can you tell I’m obsessed?), go to Frenchtown and try Craig & Sally’s, or in the heart of town, Virgilio’s (see port profile). You’ll see a whole different side to St. Thomas (lots of locals, great eavesdropping).

Grand Turk: This is the port with the most shore excursion offerings sold out and that’s because the island is still pretty limited in terms of major activities. Snorkeling and diving are big here…shopping is not. In fact, I smiled when I saw the hand-out on Grand Turk this morning. You know how so often it’s full of “sponsored” shopping opportunities? There was just a blank page, instead, LOL. Big sellers were the horse and carriage ride, the beach horseback ride and swim, a dune buggy adventure and power snorkeling.

I’ll let you know how power snorkeling goes: it’s my excursion today. Never tried it!

Carolyn

So, you need to call the purser’s desk for one reason or another…well don’t count on it. Twice today I’ve called. It’s rung like 20 times, no answer at all, and then the phone gives up and you get a fast busy signal. Useless.

I’m sure they are busy but it’s not brain surgery.

Carolyn

I’m both excited for the folks who are boarding on Sunday and … bummed. I really don’t want to go!

I have printed out the entire thread (my god it’s a behemoth, which is a good thing, LOL, but a bit scary) and I’ll go through it to make sure I get to everybody before I leave. Some of you have asked twice – don’t worry, it’s here, I just haven’t gotten to it you.

But if you have a question that hasn’t been asked, please do it soon as it’s harder to get answers off the ship.

This has been an awesome cruise – and hearing from y’all has made it really special. Thanks for your support, your enthusiasm and your great insights. And for those of you who’ve provided answers in my stead, I love having help!

Carolyn

This place is really a great find on the ship. I’d definitely recommend, if you’re into coffee, that you buy one of the aforementioned coffee cards because the atmosphere is so pleasant and the (free) pastries so delicious, you’ll want to hang out every morning. Wireless is available here (as well as in the atrium and at Vines).

Yesterday I had lunch here – a delicious quiche with leek and mushrooms. My husband raves about the ham and cheese croissants.

Don’t miss out on the chocolate chip cookies – awesome! One of the pastry chefs told me that this ship already consumes in a day as many as passengers on Caribbean Princess eat all week!

Carolyn

PS Some posted a question asking which of the items was free and which is a'la carte priced. I haven't yet paid for anything at the International Cafe, LOL, but do intend to try the chocolate fondue ($5). And will distinguish when something isn't free.

The only "meal" that's disappointed so far has been the evening snacks. We were overstuffed at one point and just wanted a really light dinner and the tapas not only were an additional charge item, they just didn't...appeal.

My husband ended up having "home food" at the Horizon Court (light, no, but he raved about it -- fresh carved pork, mashed potatoes) and, much later, I went to the Michelangelo dining room and had a small plate of pate (delicious) and a half a bowl of fettucini alfredo (okay, our definition of lite might be skewed) but gosh it was delicious and hit the spot.

Carolyn

:confused: Hi, moonmom (Jane). The Internet service I’ll tell you right out is a weak link. It’s cheap – 35 cents a minute – and as long as you use the café, pretty easy. I have to confess to an error in an earlier report when I said there were two areas of computers. I was wrong; the other is (and it’s actually kind of impressive) the place for booking future cruises onboard and they have banks of terminals with free access to Princess’ web site.

The wifi is only available in public places around the atrium. It’s a complicated system but I understand that on Sunday, the day we disembark, they’re going to install a new one. So we’ll have to wait for a member who’s onboard next week to tell us about it!

No packages….

Hours are round-the-clock.

Carolyn

Hi, Lois Swanson. The location is excellent -- no problems there. None, save the handful of minisuites on the deck below, have rooves. That's a downside of the mini-suite. You have to decide if it matters. After this trip, I don't think so (and I'm pretty privacy oriented)....

But it depends on your preferences. If you can get an Emerald deck mini, try....

Carolyn

We chose this cabin as we thought it's location was good. Now I'm reading that some balconies are not covered. It's an AC mini-suite that is port side -- is this good?

Does anyone know if this has a covered balcony. If not, do you think we should stick with this cabin, or request another one (if so, what).

We do not sail until April 2007, so I may be able to switch this far our.

Thanks for the advice. This is only our third cruise.

To Lois Swanson - hi! I have been researching this issue, as evidenced from my prior many posts on the subject, lol, as I also am wary of a mini-suite with no roof. However, as best as I can determine utilizing Princess' own web site, there are no mini-suites on Emerald Deck. There is an AD designation for two rooms, next to the Vista suites, aft, but they are described as balcony rooms. Perhaps they are very large balcony rooms. I am flummoxed over this and am giving up - they have a deck, Dolphin, devoted to mini-suites, and perhaps because they are a bit larger, they are on one of the widest decks. But they are uncovered.

My husband thinks I am crazy to go to such a fuss over this and it is funny, because originally he wanted a balcony to save the money, while I wanted a mini-suite. Perhaps to be contrary, or perhaps because he is a sun worshipper, he is now committed to a mini. The room looks lovely, I do like having a bath tub, so I am going to get myself a big hat and plenty of sun tan lotion and book a mini. Not sure yet which week we will go for, though, but most likely in the fall.

I will come back once we booked and continue to drool over the reports here on this wonderful-sounding ship! Thank you Carolyn for spurring me on to trying something new. I thought I would be sailing NCL for the rest of my cruising life - I hope you continue to have a wonderful time - Elaine

Carolyn,

Thanks for your reports. They are wonderful. DW & I love The Wheelhouse. What are your impressions of it on the new Crown? Also on a personal note when you stop in and Elua are on would you please take a moment to stop by the stage and pass along a BIG Boston Hello from Sharon & Bruce.

Thanks a million!!!

Hi Carolyn,

I know you have been besieged with requests and spent some time in Adagio, but was wondering if you've had a chance to see Dave & Faline (Elua) in the Wheelhouse and what your impressions were. Also say Hi to Hazel (bartender) for Bruce & Sharon.

Thanks Again.

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for doing this for us. Just a few questions in preparation for our 7/20 sailing (your same itenirary!).

1) I read somewhere that the PM sanctuary pass is until 5:30 but that the sanctuary closes at 8:30. Can you use it without paying from 5:30 - 8:30?

2) Are there long lines at the International Cafe since there seem to be some great complimentary snacks there?

3) What is the real boarding time? We're driving from New Jersey and want to have plenty of time to park, unload, and be first on the ship. :D

4) How are the Aloha deck balconies? We're in A518, specifically.

5) Do you have to do an excursion in Grand Turk? From what I see the cruise terminal put up by Carnival has a nice beach and pool of its own.

Thanks again!

Brian

"Hi, Madelinerose. Room service is pretty standard fare (hot dogs and hamburgers, salads and cold sandwiches. Breakfast options are continental only (can’t speak for suites, alas)."

Carolyn,

I was under the impression that you could order off the dining room menu for Room Service, at least for dinner. This is something that I am really looking forward too and will be disappointed if this is not the case. Is this the case or not? Your post above implied that room service is very limited and I just wanted to clarify so I do not have my hopes up for our December 9th, Crown Princess cruise. Thanks!

So, you need to call the purser’s desk for one reason or another…well don’t count on it. Twice today I’ve called. It’s rung like 20 times, no answer at all, and then the phone gives up and you get a fast busy signal. Useless.

I’m sure they are busy but it’s not brain surgery.

Carolyn

Hey editor! Thanks for all the good info! Wanted to tell you that this exact thing happened to me on the Golden last year. Finally, I told our cabin steward about it and he pointed out the "real" phone number for the purser....it WAS NOT the same as what was printed on the phone or in the book of info about the ship.....might want to check with your cabin steward...maybe that's what's happening to you! Have a great cruise and keep that info coming....we are all LOVIN' IT!:D

Twinky 53 re: minisuites. E 734 and E 735 are both balcony cabins. The category AD mini-suites are cabins E720 through E731. The Princess website (deckplans) for the Crown is very confusing. These are the category AD mini-suites with the covered balconies (E720 through E731).

Archived