Live from Crown: Carolyn’s Crown Princess Blog

...But if you have a question that hasn’t been asked, please do it soon as it’s harder to get answers off the ship. ...

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions and provide a daily report. Have a few quick questions.

1. we have the early traditional dinner...at 6. On the first night, the ship is supposed to leave at 5pm...will be be out to sea by 6? I'd hate to miss Lady Liberty cause we needed to be at dinner! Read somewhere if you are 15 mins late they can give your table away:)

2. Mentioned to my travel agent about the customs check in San Juan and she looked at me like I was nuts...did everyone have to go through customs there, even if they weren't getting off the ship? Our trip is reverse...Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas, Bermuda....will we have to go through customs in SJ and also in NYC? Seems like it may be hard to plan shore trips if you can't figure out how fast the custom thing goes.

3. Do they sell a water card? Wouldn't drink enough coke to justify...but sure do go through the water.

4. You talked about elevator problems...I am traveling with 82 yr mom with mobility issues, so stairs are not an option. How long would it take to get from BAJA level to main dining room...is it like the Marriott Marquis where you leave an hr early because of the 45 min wait for the elevators?

(I know this doesnt' happen all the time...but we go there for huge business meetings where lots of folks are trying to go the same place at the same time....much like a ship of 3000+ folks:)

5. Did you talk with anyone who did the hop on hop off bus in Grand Turk. Did it work smoothly? I understand that it was taking a lot more than 20 mins between busses. How were the mosquitos?

Thanks again for all of your posts. 39 days and counting!

Twinky 53 re: minisuites. E 734 and E 735 are both balcony cabins. The category AD mini-suites are cabins E720 through E731. The Princess website (deckplans) for the Crown is very confusing. These are the category AD mini-suites with the covered balconies (E720 through E731).

Thank you - again - Jules! I will see what I can get when we book - which should be soon, once DH hears from his boss as to what weeks are cleared for his vacation.

Gee, I love this place - :)

Carolyn,

3. Do they sell a water card? Wouldn't drink enough coke to justify...but sure do go through the water.

4. You talked about elevator problems...I am traveling with 82 yr mom with mobility issues, so stairs are not an option. How long would it take to get from BAJA level to main dining room...is it like the Marriott Marquis where you leave an hr early because of the 45 min wait for the elevators?

(I know this doesnt' happen all the time...but we go there for huge business meetings where lots of folks are trying to go the same place at the same time....much like a ship of 3000+ folks:)!

I would love a water card and also go thru a ton of the stuff every day. Sign me up:).

I was recently on Freedom of the Seas and the elevators were a real challenge. I am a stair person but I would be very concerned about a senior on board because there simply are not enough elevator bays for ships of a large size to handle crowds during peak times.

Wondering if you buy the 9-day pass for the thermal suite ($90 or something) if that counts as a spa treatment and give you free access to the Sanctuary area? If so, just once or ??? Also please comment on the thermal suite area if you have been there...loved it on Caribbean!

Thanks for the informative posts! :)

Carolyn -- Again, thank you for all your hard work, seeing to everyone's questions, giving specific details.

You now deserve a long, relaxing vacation (cruise). :p

I have another question, your shore excursion West End, Bermuda: New Waves Catamaran Snorkeling, . Did you see a lot of fish? Would you recommend it? Or should I just snorkel at the beach at the terminal?

How was your "power Snorkel"?

Adagio's, can you please go into more detail about this area....I'm unformiliar with it? Is it a Rest., bar, sitting area.

Adagio's, can you please go into more detail about this area....I'm unformiliar with it? Is it a Rest., bar, sitting area.

Adagio's is a classy bar located outside of Sabatini's.

Carolyn or others who have already sailed will have to fill us in further.

Brian

which days were the formal nights and what the dining room theme was for the other seven nights so I can make sure I schedule Sabatini's and and the Crown Grille for Caribbean and Continental nights. Also, can you confirm that they did the hot and cold seafood buffet in Cafe Caribe on the first two night?

THANKS!

(of course I'd love to see scanned pics of all dining room menus...but will have to wait for that)

Hi Caolyn, when you're picking up menus to bring home for posting, could you please include the room service menu and the children's menu? Do they have a children's menu in the dining room for lunch and dinner, or are they the same. Thank you!

"Hi, Madelinerose. Room service is pretty standard fare (hot dogs and hamburgers, salads and cold sandwiches. Breakfast options are continental only (can’t speak for suites, alas)."

Carolyn,

I was under the impression that you could order off the dining room menu for Room Service, at least for dinner. This is something that I am really looking forward too and will be disappointed if this is not the case. Is this the case or not? Your post above implied that room service is very limited and I just wanted to clarify so I do not have my hopes up for our December 9th, Crown Princess cruise. Thanks!

Princess seems to have discontinued the option of ordering off the dinner menu via room service --- we tried it on the Golden last year and were told that only standard room service items are available. I also would love to hear that it's now possible, but I don't think any of us should count on it....

Hi thanks for posting from the Crown . We'll be on her on august 25th . And very much looking forward to it . One thing can you book another cruise for next year on the Crown like we did on the Grand .Looking at doing the Caribbean Priness easter week and Dawn to Alasks in august .On the Grand we only had to put down a small deposit . Do they offer this on the Crown ?

Mr Veendam 61 cruises and counting !!

Caviargal and MiamiU72, I've already posted about elevators (grrrh -- the elevators not your question) -- suffice to say is you may have to build in a little extra time.

How long it takes to go from one deck to another depends. Particularly on whether everybody is trying to get somewhere at the same time (leaving for port, coming back).

One hint I'd like to give. I know that there are a lot of messages on this thread and it might be a pain to read 'em all. But if I've answered questions already, in depth, I'm not going to address them again. There's too much fresh stuff out there I haven't even gotten to, yet!:)

You could perhaps search for my handle and ask for recent messages and that way go through 'em all at one go.

And thanks so much to the handful of you who suggested I write in word and then cut and paste (and avoid the dreaded unnanounced cut off). It's a good trick. Alas the times I've been caught I was writing free-style....

Thanks, all.

Carolyn

A heads up on the pillow menu -- it does exist in suites but not in mini-suites so I can't report back on what it's like at this point. My cabin stewardess -- Cristina, she's fabulous -- told me that the pillow menu and pillows arrive in NY on Sunday and so presumably the menu will surface on next week's cruise.

Gosh (scratching my chin), maybe I should stay on........:p

If anyone out there lives in the Yardley, PA/Trenton, NJ area -- as I do and as well do several other CC members here on the ship -- we'd love any honest to god reports. CNN is useless and we're all anxious to know what's happening in our hometowns.

Thanks....

Carolyn

sbcs5390

To answer a couple of your questions:

3) What is the real boarding time? We're driving from New Jersey and want to have plenty of time to park, unload, and be first on the ship. :D - We arrived 9am and it was way too early, wanted to make sure we got a parking spot was we drove from Canada. They let us check in at 11am and board the ship at noon.

4) How are the Aloha deck balconies? We're in A518, specifically. We were in A337 and my parents in A433. Both great rooms and fully covered decks. The ones below us were only partly covered not giving you as much privacy

5) Do you have to do an excursion in Grand Turk? From what I see the cruise terminal put up by Carnival has a nice beach and pool of its own.

Didn't book an excursion, fbeach with free chairs and sunshades. The pool was free too and we loved this port. We brought our own snorkle eqpt and saw lots of fish and coral reefs.:)

A heads up on the pillow menu -- it does exist in suites but not in mini-suites so I can't report back on what it's like at this point. My cabin stewardess -- Cristina, she's fabulous -- told me that the pillow menu and pillows arrive in NY on Sunday and so presumably the menu will surface on next week's cruise.

Gosh (scratching my chin), maybe I should stay on........:p

If anyone out there lives in the Yardley, PA/Trenton, NJ area -- as I do and as well do several other CC members here on the ship -- we'd love any honest to god reports. CNN is useless and we're all anxious to know what's happening in our hometowns.

Thanks....

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Things in the Northeast dried up a bit today, but more rain and thunderstorms are forecast for tonight. Flooding in the Trenton area and basically anywhere along the Delaware River in NJ has been extreme. The waters yesterday were around 10-15 feet above flood stage and the level was only 2 feet below the line on the levees. Many residents have been evacuated and many houses have been swept down rivers.

NY Times story found here

It would be terrible to come back from a great vacation to find nothing left. Thoughts are with those on the cruise now, hoping they find their homes still there.

Our call here today is at the new Carnival port facility in Grand Turk – it was a first time for most of us because the island is new to big ship cruise travelers. Carnival has created, much the same way it did with piers in Cozumel (now, sadly, destroyed as a result of Hurricane Rita last year). But it’s bigger and splashier – complete with a Jimmy Buffet/Margaritaville, huge pool, areas for shops and duty free.

My first impression was that the Grand Turk Cruise Center was a lot like Costa Maya with even less soul! Perhaps I’m being hard on the facility – it’s obviously brand spanking new and not as full of shops and services as it will be someday. But, like Costa Maya (and unlike private islands), it’s connected to a real place, with a town and post office and election center et. al.

There’s not much development here…but if you’re on your own there’s definitely time to get (at least somewhat) into an island rhythm more laid back than anything else we’ve seen in the Caribbean, at least on this trip. Plan a visit soon – before it all changes and Grand Turk becomes the next Grand Cayman!

Grand Turk reminds me a lot of Anguilla. The most gorgeous powdered sugar white sands and blue waters and reefs really close in so you don’t have to swim out far to see the tropical fish. Anguilla, too, is very flat (Anguilla, by the way, is one of the best beach islands in the Caribbean; it’s located a hop and a skip from St. Martin/St. Maarten.

Footnote: there’s a duty free shop here (just like the one on the pier at Cancun) but fyi, my beloved bottle of Mt. Gay that I thought cost “too much” at a grocery store (not duty free) in St. Thomas was an extra three dollars here. The message? Try not to save your duty free buys for Grand Turk….

Dinner calls but I’ll report on my shore excursion – power snorkeling of all things! – later.

Carolyn

The Crown Emerald Deck Plan on the Princess site has been incorrect since the day they published it. After making 3 calls to Princess and being assured it would be corrected within 24 hours, I gave up. Use another deck plan. The ADs are the same as the Caribbean Princess.

The Princess site, imho, needs a new webmaster. :rolleyes:

I understood what you meant, allyfl. And, yes, the AD designation is listed on Expedia as on the Emerald deck, madelinerose - but when I started to try and see what they had, they said that the cabin would be assigned later. I skipped that and went to Princess' site, and they have an AD listing for the Emerald deck - but it is described as a balcony room, not a mini-suite. I think I am going to talk to the travel agent we used for our last two cruises, see if she can figure it out.

I may go for the balcony cabins - cheaper, so we have more money for all the extras and hopefully I can find the covered ones. I guess this is an issue for me, or I would not be going on and on about it, lol.

Thanks for all of your input.

Thanks....

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I drove over the Scutters Falls Bridge(I-95) last night and today at around noon. The water was very high. I looked beyond the river banks and the water continues to flood at least 100 or so feet beyond. Main Street in New Hope is flooded, although they are trying to pump it to clear out the water for the holiday weekend. The water was right up to the bottom of both the New Hope and Washington's Crossing Bridges. Trenton is flooded...the island as well. From the local news helicopters, you can see the water extends beyond the first row of houses across from the river and into the next two blocks inward, at least. Route 29 on the Jersey side is closed to traffic. Route 31 was open to cars from I-95, but I don't know how far you can travel. The river was supposed to crest tonight, but we just got another passing thunder storm, so that may add to it. Parts of Yardley are under water as well. The main roads are being used instead of the back roads because many are flooded now....Princeton area included, near the canal.

I'll keep you posted as I hear more.

Cindra

Wow, power snorkeling, coooolllll:). Sounds like a great way to burn off some extra calories.

Actually I think its quite the OPPOSITE of what you're thinking about. When you do the power snorkeling, you don't do any of the work. From Princess' excursion section:

Grand Turk Power Snorkeling

Explore one of Grand Turk’s beautiful coral reefs with ease, using an underwater hand-held scooter.

Board your transportation at the Grand Turk Cruise Terminal for the brief transfer to one of Grand Turk’s beautiful white-sand beaches. Upon arrival your snorkeling equipment and a hand-held power snorkel unit will be provided. After an orientation and safety briefing, half of the group will take off for a guided snorkeling experience, while the other half enjoys sunbathing, swimming, or snorkeling from the beach. After the first group returns, the second group will then have the opportunity to glide gracefully through the water, soaring over the beautiful coral reef prior to their return to the cruise terminal. Snorkeling equipment including snorkel vest, professional instruction and supervision are included.

SPECIAL NOTES

The minimum age required to participate is 12 years old. Wear a swimsuit and bring a towel and

adequate sun protection. A liability waiver is required.

Cost: Adult $59 pp

Im in Bordentown and as far as I can tell anyone who got flooded last time in Trenton and Yardly are getting it again....no reports of new people being flooded at this point...Keep in mind that we have not crested here yet....not until 2am. We just came back from taking a look at the Delaware. There were HUGE trees and a LOT of debris. Katmandoo and Route 29 are flooded and the Trenton Makes Bridge was closed earlier but I hear its back open as of now.

If I hear anything new I will be sure to post it or email you directly.

Archived