Live from Crown: Carolyn’s Crown Princess Blog

Good evening,

I was wondering if anyone currently aboard the Crown or anyone having sailed already can tell me if there is a Texas Hold 'em table onboard. The ocean players club website states that Crown would have a low limit table. Also if there is a table onboard, do they offer tournaments or only for Blackjack and slots? I've read the patters for the first cruise and didn't see anything mentioned. Any info would help.

Thanks,

Justin

I'm not a great sailor and am worried about the seas and seasickness sailing out of NY. I am booked on the Crown for 8/7/06. How was the trip down? Am booked on Baja aft (B735) will that be okay? I usually go with midship, Caribe if possible but that was unavailable. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time!

I'm not a great sailor and am worried about the seas and seasickness sailing out of NY. I am booked on the Crown for 8/7/06. How was the trip down? Am booked on Baja aft (B735) will that be okay? I usually go with midship, Caribe if possible but that was unavailable. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time!

LDTC - Come join our roll call for the 08/07/06 cruise!:D

Here is a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=237729

Carolyn -- Thank you for taking the time to post. You are creating much excitement out here! I have a question about the "coffee card" -- have been searching but maybe I missed it -- is there such a thing and what is the cost? Thanks in advance and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Carolyn:

Thanks so much for all the posts, each time I read I learn a little more. DH and myself are on the Crown leaving San Juan 12/30. Although I have been on 70 plus cruises, I have never sailed with Princess and am quite excited to be going, especially for the New Year celebration. I do have some concerns because we had to take a guarantee in order to get a balcony.

Once again, thanks, I look forward to reading your posts each day.

Bells R Us, so funny to get your message because one of the (many) fleeting thoughts I've had, but not put down on paper (er, Princess thread) was about the ceramics program. Now I've heard about it on Princess but haven't really sailed on the line for a while.

I tried it. It is one of those things that you might not ever consider doing in your normal life (even though there's a lovely studio near my office). Like ping pong (my husband and I love our knock down drag outs on cruise ships but never even think about it once home).

Bottom line? It was so, so much fun. I decorated a frame ($30) and a plate (think it was the same price). Worth every penny. Haven't gotten 'em back yet. There are cheaper pieces, I believe it starts at $15. I think it's a wonderful kid-mom bonding thing (or dad, too, if he's artistic; one couple was actually painting masks together).

Go for it... If I have time I may go back. It brought out the inner artist in me (though if you saw the result you'd probably advise me to go back to my inner writer :D ).

Carolyn

I have lots to tell you about Old San Juan -- lots! -- and have updated our port profile (look for that sometime next week). But happy to answer specific questions.

Also, lots of people grumbling about the customs operation today. I think it was a three hour process. And I don't know if this is yet the regular eastern Carib itinerary (will check). But if you don't have a shore excursion, then don't get in line! You're crazy to wait for an hour or more if there's no rush. I went through the process in, literally, five minutes. Before that, I had a lovely lunch (already described), read my book, wandered around the ship, cozied up with my husband, worked....

But ask away. We had fun today but my god was it hot and steamy (and I lived in St. John and St. Thomas during the summer; I was a wilted mess when we got back onboard). And another thing: if you are lucky enough to be here in the evening, and you like the restaurant scene, eat off-ship. Not because the food isn't consistently fantastic here...but because it's a great experience.

I'll tell you more, later.

Carolyn

On…elevator etiquette!

Will you all allow me a moment or two to stand on my soapbox? One of the downsides of larger ships, like this one, like its sister Caribbean Princess, like Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of the Seas, is that their basic infrastructure is based on the prototype. All of these ships have grown beyond in size and capacity beyond the originals (Grand Princess and Voyager of the Seas respectively) – and while cabins and lounges and dining options have been added, things like extra elevators have not.

That makes elevators slow. No big deal for most of us, going up or down a few decks on a ship that stretches to 17. But for “long trips” I’ve found that waiting for elevators is an exercise in frustration.

I just about blew a fuse today. Here are my beefs:

*People who hold the elevator while some friend or family member is still touching up hair and makeup or some such ridiculous thing. I mean, what planet do you live on? I’d been waiting, honestly, for five minutes to go down to deck four from deck nine, hot and tired from a long day in Old San Juan (and frankly, stressed after walking up the five flights because my husband was forbidden from entering terminal because he had no photo id and I was racing to get it back to him; hint! Take your photo id!!!). Nothing was really moving and it struck me as odd that one was stuck on 8 for so long. So I walked down the steps and there was a grandfather (young) and two kids holding the elevator for somebody who was nowhere in sight. Please, don’t! Arrange to meet someplace. The elevator lobby. The International Café, the theater, wherever. Don’t assume that the needs of your family supercede (save for emergencies) those of the other 3,000 people onboard.

*When the elevator finally does come, assume that people might want to get out. Trust me. It happens. I can’t tell you how many times on this trip people plant themselves in the center and wait for people to trickle past them in different directions. Hello!

*Unless it’s not possible, trust me when I say that climbing a level or two is the best exercise you’ll get (without sweating) on this ship – and you might just earn that chocolate fondue in the International Café.

On any ship, but particularly those like this one and the others I mentioned, it’s so important for passengers to be responsible and considerate. If the system breaks down in terms of thoughtfulness to others, it could ruin an otherwise lovely experience.

Thank you. I am now climbing off my soapbox.

Carolyn

Honestly, Marge, don't worry. The balcony will be great (won't be as hot and steamy on your trip as on this summer voyage). I've never liked Princess' Dolphin deck balconies, which are completely exposed, but, having recently sailed on an inside promenade cabin on Freedom of the Seas, which I hated (sorry, not sure I am emphasizing this enough: I HATED not seeing the sunshine), I am no longer complaining:) .

The irony is that the nicest balconies, in terms of being covered and more private, are in the cheaper cabins.

I love our minisuite. It feels like home and that there's enough room to breathe (I've never loved cruise cabins' stingy size). But will also say that I haven't spent much time there, except to sleep and take a bath (big plus for this shower-hater).

Now, if I had another week, LOL. I'd actually be quite satisfied to sail anywhere on this ship...I'm loving it so much I don't even have to get off except...that I also love this particular itinerary. Oh, the conundrum :D

Carolyn

One of our members wrote to express concern about the placement of this assigned cabin. I don't have your email with me, hope you are checking in. I did take a look at what was above your cabin. It's a crew only area, looks pretty quiet, just alongside a secondary entrance into the theater, and across from the conference center. This is not gospel but it doesn't look noisy at all....

Carolyn

Howdy HotJet.

Think I reported earlier that Sabatini’s outdoor deck is not yet functioning but there are lovely tables and chairs out there and you can certainly sit there….

I’m completely perplexed about the lunch issue. I’ve asked probably six people and am still confused so that tells you there’s no definitive word. Basically, the Patter the first day said Sabatini’s and Crown Grill were open for lunch on sea days. But: what I’ve been told is only if minimum number of people make reservations (which the Patter doesn’t mention). And they don’t promote so I imagine people have forgotten. So, in a tail wagging the dog situation, not enough people sign up and so they are not open. I’m disappointed to be honest…it’s a nice treat on a sea day to have a long lunch.

They don’t know for sure what the cover charges will be. So it’s one of those “new ship snafu” situations and I’m sure it will iron out in time. Just not in “my” time.

Carolyn

Hello Carolyn !

Thank you for the updates. I have enjoyed reading about Crown Princess very much. It sounds like Crown will be a real winner for Princess.

I agree that they have to figure out what to do with Sanctuary. It sounds totally wonderful, but Princess will need to figure out the right price point for this feature. IMHO, about 15.00 for the **entire** day sounds reasonable.

Today, I learned that Emerald Princess will be spending Winter 2007 based in Ft Lauderdale, doing 10 night Eastern/Southern Caribbean itineraries (similiar to what Sun Princess has been doing the past few seasons). Needless to say, I will be on Emerald when she arrives here next year. I am hopeful that Emerald will have many of the same features as Crown Princess.

By the way, the MUTS engagement feature sounds like a great touch. If I were to get engaged to a woman, I truly think I would do it that way. Engagement at Sea ? How much better can it get ? :)

Here's a fun question.... Did you happen to see Gavin MacLeod (AKA Captain Stubing from the Love boat) on this sailing ? If so, what was he like in person ?

Again, thanks for your wonderful updates, and enjoy your Cruise !

Carolyn,

Thank you so much for your posts. My wife & I will be on the 7/2 sailing and are finding your posts very informative (and exciting).

What time would you suggest getting to Red Hook in order to get on the ship @ 1:00 (when they begin boarding)?

Thanks again,

-Mike

Carolyn - thank you so very much for all the information. Sounds like a great cruise. A group of 16 will be on the Crown on the 2/3/07 sailing. One person in the group has a cabin assignment of C706. The person is concerned that it might be noisy since it is near the elevators. What do you think? Thanks for any input. Enjoy your cruise.

you are on my sailing...saw you on our roll call....guess you decided to come! It is my first cruise and I haven't a clue what to expect. I do well on small boats, but have never been that far out. Am not anticipating any problems, but coming well supplied with the wrist bands and dramine.

Carolyn - thanks for the info on ceramics. I'm sure your inner artist is as good as your inner writer! :D

My daughter isn't much of a "kid" anymore - she'll turn 18 next week while we're on the Crown, but we had a place near us where we could paint ceramics and it went out of business. Sarah loved it and we've been wanting to do it again, so we were happy to hear about the classes offered on the Crown. My MIL will be with us also and I'm betting she'd like to try it too.

Enjoy the rest of your trip! You'll probably be long off the ship on Sunday before we even get there, but if you see people headed toward the ship with red, white, and blue leis on, they are people from our 07/02 Cruise Critic group.

Yeks! San Juan customs operation.

3 hour process!

Should I get off and head to the beach? ? ? (On my own - not an excursion)

How did you go through without waiting on line?

But if you don't have a shore excursion, then don't get in line! You're crazy to wait for an hour or more if there's no rush. I went through the process in, literally, five minutes

hint! Take your photo id!!!).

Should I carry my passport ? ? I really don't like the idea of doing this....

Hi Carolyn,

thank you for the reports. i enjoy reading them. May i ask, if during your travels if you should run into anyone staying in L106 or 107 if they have had any noise issues. DW and i will be in 106 for the august 7th cruise and i noticed the gym was located above these suites. just wondering if they have had any issues.

Should I carry my passport ? ? I really don't like the idea of doing this....

Sandytoes - We usually take our driver's licenses with us when we get off the ship. It's enough for the port security to accept it and it allows us to leave our passports locked up in our safe.

Carolyn,

I had asked this question yesterday, but I believe you must have missed it among all the others! I was wondering about the Coffee Card you mentioned. How much is it? What does it cover? Any special drinks, like mochas? Thanks!!!

Archived