Live from Crown: Carolyn’s Crown Princess Blog

Sandytoes, I’ll be posting more detailed critiques of the restaurants in the next few days. We did have the Vines’ sushi yesterday and it was wonderful – and I think my officemates, who know I famously hate raw fish, will laugh but I had six pieces!

At this point – and please know the Sanctuary situation will likely change -- you just go up there before the half day portion begins and hand over your card. Make sure if they don’t offer to ask to use the MP3 (sometimes I’ve been offered, sometimes not).

Carolyn

I don't know if every Eastern Caribbean itinerary begins with customs in San Juan but just a heads-up; people are in line for 1 hour already and still have another 45 minutes to go! The good thing is we have long time here...but people booked on shore excursions are getting anxious. Fortunately the passenger services director just announced they wouldn't leave without people. But just be prepared.

I just walked downstairs from deck nine and you could palpably feel the rise in temperature on seven, from so many "warm" folks standing in line.

And FYI, a lot of people are sunburnt, especially after Bermuda, so take precautions.

Carolyn

This place is really a great find on the ship. I’d definitely recommend, if you’re into coffee, that you buy one of the aforementioned coffee cards because the atmosphere is so pleasant and the (free) pastries so delicious, you’ll want to hang out every morning. Wireless is available here (as well as in the atrium and at Vines).

Yesterday I had lunch here – a delicious quiche with leek and mushrooms. My husband raves about the ham and cheese croissants.

Don’t miss out on the chocolate chip cookies – awesome! One of the pastry chefs told me that this ship already consumes in a day as many as passengers on Caribbean Princess eat all week!

Carolyn

This may sound really weird but there's a lot about this ship that reminds me of a Crystal experience. The lounges -- especially Adagio -- are so elegant. Love the wine bar and the International Cafe reminds me of the fabulous coffee bar on Serenity and Symphony.

Also service is really good. I've never walked down a corridor past a crew member or officer and not be greeted with a smile. And I'm in Vines, now (waiting for the customs line to get shorter :) ) and the bartender is talking to this couple, saying he's on his ninth contract, and has already been told he'll help open Emerald Princess. It reminded me that at least a dozen times on this trip staffers have stopped me to say "hello again" -- how they remember I cannot imagine! But it says a lot for the company and the way they treat their crew members that there's such a consistency.

And that's one of the ways in which Crystal excells. Admittedly, this ship holds more passengers....

Carolyn

That also reminds me (the couple is now asking the bartender about how Crown Princess was built) that we actually had gotten a tour of the ship, almost a year ago, at the shipyard. I took photos -- I'll ask Melissa if she can provide a link. Might be fun to take a trip back into, er, Crown Princess history....

Carolyn

carolyn..i am so enjoying your updates! they are such a pleasure to read and, if its even possible, adding to my excitement to be boarding next (this!) sunday..

just wondering what your opinion is on which nights specifically to dine in the alternative restaurants...since we can't seem to choose between the two we'd like to do both;) ...should we be concerned about "missing out" on particularly good nights in the dining rooms? or avoiding certain ones for that matter....

you seem to having a great time...enjoy the rest of your cruise and thanks a million for your fair and honest opinions!

jane

Thank you for all of this! It's great to hear about the ship, and sounds like you're having a very positive experience.

I have read once or twice before about the coffee card, and I saw you mentioned it here. What does this cover? How much? I love the specialty type coffee (mochas, etc). Would that be covered? Thanks again!

Carolyn...thank you so much for having us travel aong with you in our minds eyes.

If you get a chance can you give a little info on the cigar bar. DH & I will be on the Crown in September, that is his all time favorite place to be and very little has been seen or mentioned about it.

Thanks again.

Nancy

So I just finished writing this whole long email about Vines and the system timed out and I lost it. Grrrrr. So I'll try again.

I wrote a half hour earlier (or so, the lines are still goin' believe it or not for customs...if anyone's tracking we're coming up on two hours) that I was eavesdropping on the conversation between a couple from Dallas (they were wine tasting while waiting for customs) and the bartender. His nickname is Jiggie, he's the one who has been with Princess for nine years, nine contracts.

And then he peers around the buicket of wine bottles that was in line of sight between us and says to me, "we've met!". Were you in the Caribbean, he says. Now mind you I have sailed on other lines more than Princess (Royal, Dawn -- both long time ago, then Caribbean a few years back) -- but this guy remembers me? How crazy and wonderful and heartwarming is that? Turns out we sailed together on Caribbean Princess. And that's, honest-to-God, the kind of thing that makes a cruise line (not just a ship), feel like home....

A segue. I'm not a big fan of buffets (will cover cause I know so many are, just full disclosure:) ) but often times on cruises you're limited, daytimes, to buffet, restaurant or abbreviated room service offerings (plus some kind of greasy food grill). Well you have all that here but what is so fabulous is that you also have the International Cafe (quiches, tomato and mozzarella sandwiches, chicken cashew salad, mushroom and spinach salad) and the sushi at Vines.

Now I wasn't in the mood for more sushi, LOL, but with my wine, and while waiting to get through the customs morass, I went over to the Cafe, got the quiche of the day (and a chocolate chip cookie that was so hot from the oven the chips were melting), brought it back to Vines (no problem with that though I think it would be tacky to do so without ordering wine) and enjoyed a lovely light lunch.

I remember the last time I sailed on a big ship (Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas) and felt this ... utterly satisfied, content, happy. We'd never given a big ship a 5 star rating before (and never again since) and if all continues as is...Crown Princess will sail into that rarefied strata!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn thank you so much for the insight on the Crown Princess. I cannot wait to board in 32 days.

If you could ask one of the Maitre D's if Assistant MD. Robert Balla is onboard. He has a shaved head and is about 30ish from Romania I believe. I used to see him during he day in the Horizon Court supervising and in the specialty restaurants. He was on the Sapphire in March and we had heard that he was to go to the Crown to assist Generoso. Thanks much.

Sidebar ColoCruiser - enjoy your cruise K! David and I will be on her in January out of San Juan! Be sure to email when you get home and let me know what you think about her!

Carolyn... is the port shop talking hostess a cute little blonde named Freddie? We met her a little bit ago on CB and she told us she was very excited (and very nervous) to be starting her new post on Crown. I was just wondering if she made it there okay. She really helped made my last trip - a real sweetheart!

Thanks again for all the updates. I've got a while before I sail, but I'm already getting Crown fever!

Thanks Carolyn for all your interesting tidbits on the Crown. Now I really can't wait since I am leaving this Sunday. I was curious about the customs line. I have been on many cruises that docked in PR and dont remember this. I really don't mind it but my mom is disabled and in a wheelchair & or walker and wonder how easy this customs check will be for her? Any info will be helpful. Also curious about this coffee card. i know coffee is free at the buffet. Is this card just good at the International or Vines?

Lynne

Sidebar ColoCruiser - enjoy your cruise K! David and I will be on her in January out of San Juan! Be sure to email when you get home and let me know what you think about her!

Carolyn... is the port shop talking hostess a cute little blonde named Freddie? We met her a little bit ago on CB and she told us she was very excited (and very nervous) to be starting her new post on Crown. I was just wondering if she made it there okay. She really helped made my last trip - a real sweetheart!

Thanks again for all the updates. I've got a while before I sail, but I'm already getting Crown fever!

Thanks Tina, will let you know!! :)

Thank you for keeping us informed - we too sail out this Sunday!!

Does it seem like we should get down to exit the ship (in San Juan) first thing or are people waiting in line for a long time and no one is getting off the ship? Would be nice to get off before it gets to hot (outside!). Can you see things from the starboard side? If so, we'll get breakfast and sit on our balcony until things seem like they're moving. I realize our itinerary is a little different then yours - we go to Grand Turk then to San Juan - not sure if that will make a difference or not.

Carolyn, thank you for your posts. You mentioned that you had quiche, cookies and sushi. Were all of those items complementary or did you have to pay a fee? How much?

Thank you!

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for all the great info - you have done a great job hitting all the critical items that the rest of us are just dying to know.....:)

One more - any info on the "pub grub" in the Wheelhouse bar, costs, atmosphere, etc?

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Carolyn,

I just booked back to backs on the Crown for November so I am eagerly reading all of your posts. I didn't think it was possible for me to get more excited about the ship -- BUT I AM!!! Everything sounds wonderful! I hope the rest of your trip is fabulous.

And you may already be doing this but here is something I do if I am working in an environment where you can lose your PC connection. I write all of my posts into a Word document and then save them. Then I copy them into the thread. That way I don't lose everything I typed if something happens and the post gets lost. Can you tell I learned the hard way!?! ;)

Happy cruising!!!!!!!!! :D

Jamie

• Administrators
That also reminds me (the couple is now asking the bartender about how Crown Princess was built) that we actually had gotten a tour of the ship, almost a year ago, at the shipyard. I took photos -- I'll ask Melissa if she can provide a link. Might be fun to take a trip back into, er, Crown Princess history....

Carolyn

Here are some construction shots.....from last year!

Laura

crownprincessshipyard2.jpgcrownprincessshipyard1.jpg

crownprincessshipyard3.jpg

crownprincessshipyard4.jpg

Carolyn, thanks for all the information that you are sending. We will be doing the exact itinerary as you on July 20th.

When you say the clam appetizer was minimal. What exactly did you receive as part of it? I plan on eating there the first night (we have a free dinner through Amex Platinum Travel).

Can't wait to see the menus.

Carolyn -

Thanks for the great info! We leave on the Crown this Sunday and I am soooo excited!

Could you possibly find out about how much it costs to participate in the ceramics classes? Or perhaps a range of prices - I'm sure the cost differs depending on what piece you pick out to work on. Our daughter is definitely going to want to do that.

Thanks!

Archived