Live from Crown: Carolyn’s Crown Princess Blog

I think that is something they need to correct then because we use it as a selling point in our office. I don't mind change but it would be nice to know when it happened. Kinda like the Sanctuary..they could have sent out a fax so agents knew what was happening...thank goodness I have the CC boards but a good deal of agents don't even know they exhist.

Good digging and I'm happy to inquire further. But my experience has always been that after the first "foreign" port, arriving back to the US requires the US "thing."

Let me check, stay tuned, and thanks, Luna Moon.

A lot of people have asked about this ....You have to go through it. I've posted on various strategies of avoiding waiting in line but for those folks who need to get off, well, you just have to bite the bullet. It may improve but the simple fact is it takes more time to move 3,100 folks through the system. The actual time spent being "customed" was like 3 seconds (Carolyn)

I called Princess directly, and I also spoke dirctly with the Pier Authority in San Juan the very day that the 6/23 Crown Cruise passengers were made to wait for hours to pass through security in San Juan.

From all the information I gathered that day, it is simply not the case that "you have to go through it" as a routine.

I was told very clearly by Princess that it was a very unusual situation that all of the passengers on the Crown were made to go through security that day.

The Princess representative said that "the normal routine for disembarking in San Juan is to swipe your card getting off and back on the ship;" that is all. They also said that if the Federal Government had changed the policy then Princess, as well as all other cruise lines would have been informed prior to the change. Princess believed that it was a random security check, maybe prompted by the fact that it was the Crown's first visit to the port.

The Pier Authority in San Juan said that it has never been necessary for any ship to go through routine regular customs procedures when their passengers disembark for the day, even if the ship is coming from an intervening foreign port.

This person was also very surprised by the day's events, and also said that it was "one of those unexpected security checks, which you can never predict...but that if the US Federal Government had indeed changed the overall disembarkation and immingration policy in San Juan, the Pier Authority and all cruise lines would have been the first to know," and they knew nothing about any customs procedure change.

Carolyn, since we have planned many special events for our upcoming trip to San Juan, I would really appreciate you're letting us know how you know that all ships' passengers have to go through full immigration/customs procedures when disembarking in San Juan.

I am not trying to be disagreeable. I genuinely and sincerely would like to clear this up simply because if you are correct, and not Princess or the SJ Pier Authority, we will have to scramble to change many of our long-standing plans for our day there soon.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read and answer.

but Pink Panther I see a revenue opportunity here, LOL (a wry laugh, not a guffaw).

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thanks for this information and for all the help and assistance you've provided myself and everyone else on this board. I'm really looking forward to being on board and unwinding for 9 days, I'm secretly hoping that July goes by really fast! :p

My small suitcase has been filled and now things are being piled on top. Soon we'll pull out the bigger suitcase!

Speaking of suitcases, do you or anyone else know about weight/size limits for luggage on board? Is there a limit to the amount of luggage you can bring (I'm thinking of bringing a big suitcase and a medium/smaller size one for the two of us combined)? Also, what does Princess consider a carryon to be? I know airlines have a limit, but we wont be flying. Would a small suitcase be allowed as a carry on?

Thanks again!

Zia

If you have visited another country in between leaving NY and arriving at San Juan you will go through Immigration.

Which means on the Eastern Interiary, we are coming from Grand Turk into San Juan, we would have to go through customs.

If San Juan is your first stop then you won't go through customs.

We had to do this on a cruise when we stopped at St. Thomas. No big deal. In St. Thomas the officials came on board and everyone just went through a line at a lounge and showing our passports. No forms or anything else. We were in and out so quickly.... Not a problem at all.

It would be great if San Juan does the same.

At U.S. cruise terminals, passenger vessel security measures include passenger screening procedures similar to those found at airports. This includes l00% screening of all passenger baggage, carry-on luggage, ship stores and cargo, and also includes higher levels of screening of passenger identification.

Can you believe, just looking at the photo on our Passport is considered high level screening..... LOL :rolleyes:

Wow Good digging and I'm happy to inquire further. But my experience has always been that after the first "foreign" port, arriving back to the US requires the US "thing."

Let me check, stay tuned, and thanks, Luna Moon. (carolyn)

Thank you very much, Carolyn.

That's all I ask; opinions are variable, but facts can be verified.

Pls keep blogging away Leaving on 7-11. DH is hungry wants to see Menus from Sabatini's etc. Where do you purchase the coffee card?

Thanks for a great job.

I have a picture of Sabatini's menu, but don't know how to post the single picture, so if you don't mind viewing a few other pics til you get to it, here it is:

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/slideshow.do?albumId=43582.1286.1152132413221.1&shareInfo=

Carolyn-

Thank you so much for posting all the replies, especially the unusual questions I asked. I will not waste my $ on the thermal suite. It's funny, it was included with my spa treatment on the CB - I was encouraged to use it. I'll spend my $ on the sanctuary.

You went above and beyond in reporting and answering questions.

Now, in addition to be addicted to Cruise Critic, I am now a lifetime fan of the editors/moderators!

One more question re: Brooklyn Nosh. Is it advertised in the stateroom (how to order, etc)? If not, just call room service? How long did it take to deliver? I'm planning an informal get together at 3PM for our cc group teens/preteens to meet and don't want the meal delivered to an empty cabin. We hope to be in the cabin by 1PM. (Planning to arrive at the port about 10:30AM). The only thing DH is excited about on the cruise is that meal.

Pls keep blogging away Leaving on 7-11. DH is hungry wants to see Menus from Sabatini's etc. Where do you purchase the coffee card?

Thanks for a great job.

I have a picture of Sabatini's menu, but don't know how to post the single picture, so if you don't mind viewing a few other pics til you get to it, here it is:

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/slideshow.do?albumId=43582.1286.1152132413221.1&shareInfo=

jbliss, that's a protected web address. Is there any other way that you could share that? Could you send me the photo as an attachment? You could send it to Merion Mom, and I'm on america on line.

I imagine this has already been covered, but I can't seem to find the answer. What is the policy for tipping at Sabatini's and The Crown Grill? Are there any unofficial guidelines with this? Do you give cash, or add it to your account? Are ALL the tips pooled? Thanks for any help with these questions! :D

LunaMoon,

I find your attitude rather abrasive regarding customs in San Juan.

You have totally chosen to ignore what others have experienced as fact because it is not what you want to hear. Let me ask you, what do you plan to do if you arrive in San Juan and they make you go through customs? The rules have always been if you touch a foreign port, you must clear customs when you return to a US port. I've had to do it in St. Thomas on more than one occassion with Princess, so I can speak with experience that it happens.

I understand that having an idea of your schedule is important, but what if the ship was delayed for another reason, you can't control everything? If you want that level of control, might I suggest a land based vacation to San Juan?

These boards are meant to be a source of information, but choosing to ignore it because you don't like the answer, doesn't change the result which is that you proabably will have to clear customs in San Juan.

Asking the editor of Cruise Critic her sources because you think you know better is rather condesending. How many cruise web sites are you the editor for?

Smile, have a great day, and remember you are cruising, and billions of others aren't. Kind of puts things in perspective.

Cheers,

Potzie

Immigration Info from Princess Patter (SI Cruiser)

----------------------------------------------------------------

I just got off the phone with Princess headquarters, and read her the info you posted from your Patter.

Although your Patter does state procedures that would be happening for your cruise that day, Princess tonight has once again said that it is NOT U.S. Immigration policy.

The Princess representative even contacted "Shore Authority" in San Juan, and they told her that what you experienced is not standard operating procedures, but it is something that sometimes happens.

Your Patter information is absolutely accurate for your cruise and it is indeed what the passengers on your cruise experienced.

The rep at Princess even commented; "why would Princess offer excursions that our passengers could not make in San Juan if we actually knew ahead of time that immigration would routinely take hours?!"

We shall see.

Thank you for your help, and relaying your experience.

Hi Luna, I'm glad that you called Princess Headquarters. That was very nice of you. They should be aware of the situation.

Anyway, bought one bottle of the rum and one bottle of white wine and neither were confiscated (and they were out in the open). Has that been y'alls Princess experience? I appreciated the fact that they treated me like an adult....

Back in 2001 I was on the Grand Princess and was 20 years and 11 months. Bought about 6 bottles overall in St. Thomas/St. Maarten and brought all back on the ship, usually about 3 at a time - no problems - no confiscation. On NCL Wind in Hawaii they did take wine coming on the ship until the end of the cruise. Yes, nice to be treating like an adult and not to have to go collect your things after the cruise.

Will be leaving on the Crown on July 11. Thank you for providing this on going commentary. Looking forward to reading your complete review of this ship. Hopefully you will be able to post it before I leave. Once again, THANK YOU:)

Will be leaving on the Crown on July 11. Thank you for providing this on going commentary. Looking forward to reading your complete review of this ship. Hopefully you will be able to post it before I leave. Once again, THANK YOU:)

Martar, QUICK, come join our Roll Call. Click on the link in my signature.!!!!!

jbliss, that's a protected web address. Is there any other way that you could share that? Could you send me the photo as an attachment? You could send it to Merion Mom, and I'm on america on line.

Sure, I have sent it to you.

I imagine this has already been covered, but I can't seem to find the answer. What is the policy for tipping at Sabatini's and The Crown Grill? Are there any unofficial guidelines with this? Do you give cash, or add it to your account? Are ALL the tips pooled? Thanks for any help with these questions! :D

We actually asked the waiter, since on the bill there was no line for a tip and we wanted to tip him. He said that they don't expect one. So it must be pooled. Our experience was so good that we did tip an additional 25%. We gave cash.

Carolyn,

Thanks for this information and for all the help and assistance you've provided myself and everyone else on this board. I'm really looking forward to being on board and unwinding for 9 days, I'm secretly hoping that July goes by really fast! :p

My small suitcase has been filled and now things are being piled on top. Soon we'll pull out the bigger suitcase!

Speaking of suitcases, do you or anyone else know about weight/size limits for luggage on board? Is there a limit to the amount of luggage you can bring (I'm thinking of bringing a big suitcase and a medium/smaller size one for the two of us combined)? Also, what does Princess consider a carryon to be? I know airlines have a limit, but we wont be flying. Would a small suitcase be allowed as a carry on?

Thanks again!

Zia

I'm a very heavy packer and since on this trip we don't have to deal with airline regs I'm glad I don't have to limit what I bring. We were on a 15 day cruise once and I had 2 large suitcases for each of us (3 people) and 2-3 carry ons. No one told us it was too many. All the stuff fit in our cabin and the steward took away the luggage to store. Now that we're elite and they do our laundry, dh is trying to convince me to bring less stuff. But, it seems like it isn't the clothes that take up all the room, it is the other stuff! LOL!

See you on board!

I'm a very heavy packer and since on this trip we don't have to deal with airline regs I'm glad I don't have to limit what I bring. We were on a 15 day cruise once and I had 2 large suitcases for each of us (3 people) and 2-3 carry ons. No one told us it was too many. All the stuff fit in our cabin and the steward took away the luggage to store. Now that we're elite and they do our laundry, dh is trying to convince me to bring less stuff. But, it seems like it isn't the clothes that take up all the room, it is the other stuff! LOL!

See you on board!

Hi, I agree- one thing that sold us on this cruise was that it went out of Brooklyn. No flight, no parking ( wonderful to have son with car) and no hotel stay- saved appox $500.00 Usually we have traveled with a TRavelpro 21" for each of us and a tote. Now we are going with the 26" bag, and a 21" DH even bringing the Tux can't wait.

Carole

5 days and counting

Hi -

Thanks LDTC for the info on your experience with the patch, and thanks to everyone else who supplied info as well. One of you said that you take the bonine before boarding and then take it every day - I have never tried that, but sounds like the best way to take it. I'm still not quite decided which way to go yet (though I think I'm leaning toward the bonine since someone said the patch is a stronger medication), but all the input has been helpful.

LDTC, thanks again, and I hope you have a great cruise too!

Bonine is a good medicine, but we found on our 11 day/12 night cruise in Hawaii (also went 1,000 miles south of Hawaii so in the open sea for 4 days) - that the ReliefBand is great. Sharper Image has on sale for $49.95 and is usually $79.95 on drugstore.com and the like. It's totally worth it! My husband's first cruise - he said - I don't think I need this watch! And he took it off and he was sick almost instantly. It is drug free so you can drink away, doesn't make you drowsy, etc. To me worth the money and reusable, the lithium ion battery lasted all 2 weeks.

Hi, Brian (sbcs5390), time to tackle a couple of your questions. Here's the thing about the Sanctuary. It is open from 5:30 - 8:30 p.m. for free but none of the services (waiters, MP3) are available. Not even sure if you need to bring your own pool towel.

And re the International Cafe, rarely was there a line though it was obviously popular. I think the only time I saw it look crowded was one sea day afternoon when the day's first desserts came out of the oven. Wafting heavenly smells.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for doing this for us. Just a few questions in preparation for our 7/20 sailing (your same itenirary!).

1) I read somewhere that the PM sanctuary pass is until 5:30 but that the sanctuary closes at 8:30. Can you use it without paying from 5:30 - 8:30?

2) Are there long lines at the International Cafe since there seem to be some great complimentary snacks there?

3) What is the real boarding time? We're driving from New Jersey and want to have plenty of time to park, unload, and be first on the ship. :D

4) How are the Aloha deck balconies? We're in A518, specifically.

5) Do you have to do an excursion in Grand Turk? From what I see the cruise terminal put up by Carnival has a nice beach and pool of its own.

Thanks again!

Brian

Hi Nana Nancy. Debarking was amazingly smooth -- we choose the self-assist method (though we had so much STUFF we shouldn't have -- seems to me we got on board with one suitcase and a carry on and came off with more carryons and shopping bags. In fact I looked at one woman, who had just one suitcase, and said, wryly, "we are not a good candidate for self-assist!" She laughed).

Even without that I don't think you'll have a problem. One thing we liked is that you get in one line for customs and immigration. And it moved quickly.

The only "beware" I can offer is the elevators. They were a madhouse. Craziness. Every one packed. So you'll want to think that through --

Carolyn

I would be interested in hearing about your disembarking experience. We will be 5 couples with 3 handicapped people. One with a scooter, one with a wheelchair and one with a cane. We always worry, and this will be our first Princess experience. Not wishing your trip to fly by, and hope your enjoying every minute! Thanks for all the info, I'm loving it!

Archived