Rooms at the Bow of ship

Rooms at the BOW of the ship...Upper Deck, Empress Deck, Lido Deck, Panorama Deck

Is that a good location or a bad location?

Will we feel the motions more?

Are those rooms larger?

Do anyone have pictures of those rooms?

Luvsdaislands

Rooms at the BOW of the ship...Upper Deck, Empress Deck, Lido Deck, Panorama Deck

Is that a good location or a bad location?

Will we feel the motions more?

Are those rooms larger?

Do anyone have pictures of those rooms?

Luvsdaislands

Upper deck is above the main show lounge. I have had forward cabins on Empress and Panorama and they are fine.

If you are wondering about the ocean view cabins facing the bow they are larger and an unusual configuration but the window looks out on a public deck so you will have no privacy when you have the curtains open.

We had an inside cabin on the Panorama Deck on the Liberty for the first half of our B2B sailing, as FAR forward as you could possibly be. The second half of the cruise, we moved to an oceanview cabin, midship. And on our cruise in Feb 2005 we had an aft cabin on the very back of the ship with a wrap-balcony.

My preference is aft.

The motion we felt was like this:

Forward cabin - up and down motion

Midship cabin - more of a side-to-side motion

Aft cabin - hardly any motion, more just a vibration

Others may have different experiences.

If you have a cabin on the bow you have to keep the curtains closed at night for navigational purposes. I know some of the balcony cabins toward the front can't turn on the lights of their balcony for the same purpose. I would pick an aft cabin.

cruisealot

I've had E1 on the Sensation. I've also had M6 on the Holiday. Both were about as far forward as you can get. I specifically chose those cabins because they were porthole cabins, which I like. I didn't feel any more movement in those cabins than I've felt in mid-ship cabins.

Motion in the forward cabins will, for the most part, depend on the seas. All things being equal, on a calm day, the forward cabins should not experience any more motion sensation than the rest of the ship. Now having said that, we were in U9 on the Fantasy a few years ago returning from Nassau and the seas were running around 10-12 feet according to the Captain. The "pitching" of the ship was so pronounced that the bed would actually drop out from underneath you for a brief second. This is not meant to scare you away from the forward part of the ship but at least you should be aware of the "possibilities" of motion. It is also possible that on that night, folks THRUOUT the ship might have experienced the motion we felt! All part of the adventure!

If you have a cabin on the bow you have to keep the curtains closed at night for navigational purposes.

Odd. No one ever told me to close the curtains. Maybe because my cabins have had two portholes, and don't allow much light out?:confused:

The past 5 cruises I have taken were on Carnival and very forward cabins. I am 43 and cruised on 30 cruises and only want to choose the very forward cabins. I never noticed any additional movement of the ship being very forward, actually I find more movement on the top decks, the central decks are perfect. I also choose very forward as I always find the air conditioning to work best there and so much less noise as nobody really going back and fourth in the hallway besides the people that have cabins next to you. Very quiet and I definately perfer it. Been over the main lounges there and never ever had a problem with noise ever. The perfect location I say.

Maybe it depends on the class of ship. I was on the Carnival Liberty and I had a cabin that was on deck 8 and just aft of the Bridge. The balcony lights would not come on at night and as far as I could tell none of the balcony lights behind the bridge were ever on.

I also searched CC and found a post where navigation was discussed

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=323232&highlight=navigation

Maybe it does depend on Capt. or the cruise line.

cruisealot

Thanks for all the info. I LOVE this site, everyone is SOOOOO helpful!! and whenever I do a search and there is an article on another site, it links back to cruisecritic!!!

I still haven't booked my cruise yet :) I want to make sure I have all my major questions answered before I book, I have a son that is a bit frightened about flying (flying from BWI to FLL) and cruising on a ship (seen too many movies) and I don't want him to freak out. Both are firsts for my sons.

I was going to book a guaranteed cabin to save a few bucks, but after some research I think I will choose my cabin, outside, in the middle on the main deck, I don't think I want to be at the bow or the aft.

Luvsdaislands

Thanks for all the info. I LOVE this site, everyone is SOOOOO helpful!! and whenever I do a search and there is an article on another site, it links back to cruisecritic!!!

I still haven't booked my cruise yet :) I want to make sure I have all my major questions answered before I book, I have a son that is a bit frightened about flying (flying from BWI to FLL) and cruising on a ship (seen too many movies) and I don't want him to freak out. Both are firsts for my sons.

I was going to book a guaranteed cabin to save a few bucks, but after some research I think I will choose my cabin, outside, in the middle on the main deck, I don't think I want to be at the bow or the aft.

Luvsdaislands

Luvsdaislands....your son's will be fine on the flight from BWI to FLL...it is an uneventfull 2 hours. Just make sure you pack them a backpack each with snacks, gum, toys, books, hand sanitizer, and other misc. items in it to keep them entertained. The time will go by faster that way. We flew from BWI to MIA a little over a year ago and our girls ages 3 and 9 had a blast on the airplaine. In 2008 we are flying from BWI to SJI....for our southern caribbean cruise. While my MIL is not happy about being in a plane that long...I personally love to fly. If you need any more sugestions as to what to pack in their backpacks...just ask. I know they will have a wonderfull time and you will be amazed at their reactions when they see the "big ship".

I forgot to add that before we flew I explained to my 3 year old that flying in a plane is a lot like riding in a car....you just have the ups (takeoff) and downs (landing)...which gives you the same feeling as going over a big hill in the car, or on a roller coaster. I hope this information helps.

Archived