Formal picture questions

prettypixie

I am interested in getting formal pictures much to DH's dismay.

My most important Q is- If you schedule to have pictures taken but don't like them, do you have to buy them? Can they be retaken for free?

I remember reading that they were $40 is this accurate? Can you get any cheaper than that besides taking your own? Are they like all the other pics 8 by 10's or are they smaller?

This is very important to me because I haven't seen my husband all dressed up (suit, tux) since our wedding day 3 years ago. I want a nice picture as a reminder of how handsome he looks all gussied up.

The photo people make their money on selling prints. There will be no shortage of opportunities to "sit" for photos, both formal and otherwise. You pay nothing unless/until you purchase the prints- the only charge is the value of your time waiting, especially on formal nights. I can't recall the exact price, but $40 sounds too steep. They'll be printed in different sizes, as well. Many lines have a package deal that lets you buy a series of different photos for substantial savings.

Each day, the photos taken the previous day are displayed in the photo gallery for your review (and everyone else's!). If you like them, buy them from the cashier. If not, simply leave them, or if they're horrible, usually you can dump them in a container.

On our 15 day Hawaii cruise, we had 3 formal nights. On each of the formal nights, there were 6 or 7 "picture stations" setup in different areas of the ships. Each had its own unique backdrop or used part of the ship such as the atrium as the background. You line up and get a few pictures taken and then they are displayed later that evening or the following morning in the hallways of the photo gallery. You can go to as many picture stations as you like. My advice is to get your pics taken at all stations so you have more choices when they are developed.

You arent committed to buying anything at all. Whenever they have the photos developed, you can walk through the displays and find all your pictures and buy whichever ones you want or not buy any at all. The prices for us were 19.99 per 8X10. Almost all the available pics to buy are 8x10. They sometimes have specials like buy 3 and get the 4th one free etc.

Tony

Sometimes they remove the pictures after a couple of days, so look for pictures everyday and find a corner at the bottom of one of the display areas and put all your pictures together. Then on the last night or the night before, go through all the pictures and only choose the pictures you like most. This way you are not buying the pictures each night.

Also, you can have someone else take a picture of you using your own camera just after the ship photographer takes it. This way you can have your own picture.

Hey, Megan -- you're on the CB a few weeks before us. Keep the hurricanes away!

The cruise is a great place to get some updated formal and informal professional pictures. As Tony said, don't be shy about getting several shots in front of various or even all the backdrops. Pictures are also usually taken on the grand staircase, and one our best shots was taken overlooking the atrium just next to a light fixture. Go figure. And if they don't come out, go back the next formal night. Also, try to have "fun" with the photographers. We got to know a couple of them and when we would go to their stations, they really went the extra mile.

Tony and I experienced different pricing on the Island. We went in February of this year, and 8 X 10s were around $24. No doubt they really like you to buy 8 x 10s, but how many do you need? And if you want to give a family member one, a 5 x7 or 6 x 9 is enough. We got reprints in smaller sizes of several pictures at lesser prices. But Tony said on another board that they would not do smaller reprints back in 10/05. So, it may vary by ship or the policies in place at the time. But don't be afraid to ask!

Have fun with it. There is no obligation to purchase, but the photogs on the Island were great!

A sample of our favorite informal shot ....Photo.JPG.a3ad2c9e50c8db9c3b546f724c9b9f30.JPG

Thanks so much everyone for all of this information, I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to getting some great pictures.

Hey, Megan -- you're on the CB a few weeks before us. Keep the hurricanes away!

A sample of our favorite informal shot ....

Aw too bad I'll be missing you! I will try my best to keep hurricanes away believe me! That is a very nice picture. :)

We asked for 5 x7s of one of our favorite shots on the Dawn Princess (Dec. 2004) and were charged $20 each, same as the 8 x 10s.

Another trick we learned about photos is that if you collect your photos as they come out and take them to the photo desk, then ask the attendant to start you a manilla envelope with your cabin number and name on it, they will just keep them all for you behind the desk. At the end of the cruise we ask for the envelope, and then go through choosing our favorites to purchase. (Hopefully, they wouldn't be lost - that would be a shame, but hasn't happened yet!):)

Archived