NCL Questions for the NCL Cheerleaders

prettypixie

For those of you who travel NCL quite a bit..

Which ship was your favorite?

and...

Which you think would be best for a 20-something girl like myself? (and my 26 y/o husband?) Specifically for night life and entertainment. We aren't super rowdy but we like to be entertained.

I realize that RCCL and Carnival are supposedly the 2 best lines for our age group. But I am a Lattitudes member and may like to take advantage of that in the future. Thanks so much! :)

The Dawn out of NYC was much better in this reagrd then the Star out of LA. That's just my experience.

Also a 7 day instead of a longer cruise. Longer cruises tend to have an older crowd. But not all the time. I also found the western Caribbean is a little bit more of a party itinerary.

What would be best for you? What do you like to do? My favorite has been the Jewel because it is new, shiney and has the best staff. When the new ships come out the cruiselines take the cream of the crop and move them, so of course the crew would be outstanding. i also love the Sun: As you are living in Utah, I think I would choose the Sun out of NOLA or the Star. It easier for you to travel to the embarkation ports and the people sailing with you are more inclined to be from the midwest and southwest. Of course the Dream is another option, but it is an older ship. have you cruised before; what are you looking for in a ship? NMnita

Great service is #1 but entertainment is 2nd most important we like dancing, I like Karaoke Shane doesn't, we both love comedy, the party type atmosphere is fun as long as it isn't too rowdy... Live music is awesome especially a more modern type of sound. Our favorite music is modern pop and rock but no rap or R&B. Even though Jose and Patti on the wind sang older songs we really enjoyed them it was the only entertainment we really did enjoy. Newness isn't the most important but a newer ship would be nice. I don't care where my fellow cruisers are from, I grew up in Maine so I can chill with the Northerners as well. I love Canadians. Shane may prefer people from around our parts, though. Getting to the port is important and it's nice if the flights are cheap. My current flight to Florida, though, isn't much cheaper than my last tickets I bought to go home to Maine.

Food taste and quality is actually a tie with second we love good food, and The Wind did have excellent food excluding that nasty buffet at the Sport's Bar!

TY!

I like the Spirit best. Although slightly older than the rest of NCL's Freestyle ships, it's decor is amazing. What I like specifically about the Spirit?1) The Galaxy of the Stars. Observers area seperated from the bar/lounge is a great touch. The overhang above the port and starboard bridge wings is unsurpassed on any other NCL ship. A real computer display of the Spirit's navigation computer. The bridge observatory area, next best to actually touring the bridge.2) Public access to the rear of the ship. Few private balconies. On other NCL ships, if you're not in an aft facing cabin or suite, you are out of luck. With the massive public areas at the aft end on the Spirit, everyone on the ship can relax here.But, the Spirit does lack a few items many will be disappointed with that are on other NCL ships.1) No refrigerators in regular cabins.2) No Tapas Bar.3) No slides for the main swimming pool.I don't consider any of these short comings cruise breakers.......

I think in some ways our favorite cruise to date was on the Sun. We love that ship. We had plenty to do and lots of fun stuff. Don't know if it is still that way. We had the best cruise director. But I doubt he is still on that ship. But we still want to do the Sun again now that is back to the Caribbean.

I have been on the Dawn twice, but have only cruised twice....lol. But I fell in love with her, and would be on her again this Nov, but she changed her Itinerary for the dates I needed :( , so It will be the Spirit this time. I am going to try and sail her again before she leaves for the shores of Miami.

Linda

We have sailed RCCL and Celebrity, and NCL Dawn, NCL is our favorite, we have sailed them 3 times in the past and are planning to take the NCL Spirit this Sept. We keep trying other lines, but always come back :)

We took RCCL Voyager of the Sea last Sept out of New Jersey for a 9 day carribean.

We are in our early 50's and found that the entertainment on the Dawn, and the crowd of people were far more interesting then RCCL.

On the Dawn we loved the pool side atmosphere, and the BBQ's, RCCL did not offer any poolside BBQ's and it was pretty quiet by the pool. At one point my SIL asked the poolside band if they could "liven it up a little" but they told her they could only play what the people seemed to want, and this group was definately quiet!!!

We enjoyed the Karaoke on the Dawn better, as it was who ever wanted to participate on any given night could. On the voyager, it was run more like an American Idol competition, with the winners of each night, competing in the final's on the last night. To competive for my taste, Karaoke is supposed to be fun for everyone, good and bad, not a contest to see who is the best! (imho)

The voyager did have the ice show, which was very good, and the Quest game which was interesting to say the least :)

We perfered the lounges on the Dawn to the Voyager....felt it was more of a range of music. On the Voyager, my SIL was sooo looking foward to the Latin music which was supposed to be offered in one of their lounges, but we met the DJ for that in an elevator who informed us that he has left all his CD's in the truck of his car, which was back at the pier, so he was just winging it for this particular cruise.....very disappointing.

We felt that the voyager had a much older crowd....while the dawn was more deversified in its age groups.

Of course, the time of year you travel, and the length of the cruise definately has an impact on whom you will be traveling with.

Debbie

My preferred NCL ship is the SUN.

She is a little smaller and thus more intimate (less passengers) than the Star, Dawn, and Jewel. The Spirit was a great ship but I was a little dissappointed with the pool area.

The Sun does not have as many upper end suites which I believe leads to slightly more relaxed crew. The Cruise Directors staff seems to be a little more excitable and willing to let their hair down. This also makes it easier to get reservations for the specialty restaurants.

The shows are not as "High Production" as on the Jewel or Dawn. But they are still quite good. We have had better luck with the comedians on the Sun than any other NCL ship. This could be pure dumb luck or a booking agent (for the Sun) that is more attuned to our type of humor.

The only downside to the Sun is her cafeteria style buffet as compared to the Jewel's station typr buffet.

PE

Archived