Cab from LAX to Long Beach

Does anyone have any information on cab fare from Los Angles airport to the cruise docks in Long Beach???

Celebrity wants $50 per person and I just thought I might get a cab for less than $100.

Any input is appreciated by the Austintravelers!

Celebrity usually docks in Los Angeles, not Long Beach, so check that first. They aren't that far apart, maybe 20 minutes, but you don't want to go to the wrong pier. A cab will run you about $60-65 with the tip, maybe less. You also could look into a shuttle van service, such as Prime Time or Supershuttle, which would be about $15 per person. Google either and you should be able to get to their websites without too much difficulty.

Heck, for less than $100 you could use one of the private car companies, too - we use Sky Limo (800) 359-1800, other posters have used ExecuCar, sorry I don't have their number.

We used the Princess transfers in March 2006 and I wouldn't use them again. We waited at the airport for over an hour for other flights to come in so we were delayed at embarkation. (Besides, our driver didn't know pier procedure so that stalled things again!)

I thought since we had a fairly early flight from LAX , disembarkation and the bus ride back would be quicker but we sat on the bus for over half an hour and ended up at the end of the line for curb side check in behind all those who left by cab before us.

FYI I also found that if you have an E ticket, it was quicker to go inside to check in since eticket had its own line. May not always work but I left my daughter in the curb line and went in and checked.

I'm sailing in October on QM2 so I am checking into car prices from LGA to the new Redhook pier so Good Luck! Have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

We used the Princess transfers in March 2006 and I wouldn't use them again. We waited at the airport for over an hour for other flights to come in so we were delayed at embarkation. (Besides' date=' our driver didn't know pier procedure so that stalled things again!)

I thought since we had a fairly early flight from LAX , disembarkation and the bus ride back would be quicker but we sat on the bus for over half an hour and ended up at the end of the line for curb side check in behind all those who left by cab before us.[/quote']

We all live and learn! This was pretty much the experience we had with cruiseline transfers, too. It's not just Princess, it is any cruiseline. I try to bite my tongue when people state the transfers are the easiest way to go :rolleyes: . I prefer to control my own destiny and not wait for the crowds. Even if it costs a few $ more (but it is usually cheaper to taxi) the extra is worth it not to have to wait, wait, wait. I have ants in my pants when it comes to gettin' on the ship!

To the OP, Your cab ride will be to San Pedro, not Long Beach. Make sure you are specific about this when catching a cab. The port in Long Beach is for Carnival ships (and sometimes one of their other brands), all others cruise out of The World Cruise Center in San Pedro (also referred to as the Port of Los Angeles). I'm trying to make it clearer than mud for you.

I'm not sure what taxi rates are now, the last time we were there, it was around $35-40 from the port to LAX, but that was before gas prices went up. The distance is around 25 miles, the drive can take anywhere from 30 minutes up to an hour or more. It all depends on the day and time of day. If you can arrange a flight into Long Beach instead (LGB) the distance is a bit shorter, the drive usually easier. I flew in and out of LGB a couple of weeks ago, what a pleasure it was in comparison to LAX.

I have priced the shuttles and they seem to charge $35.00 PP now.I wonder if the cabs are cheaper.We are only 2 people so I haven't decided yet.Just seems to nme that taking Princess transfers is a definite no no from all the info from these great boards!

I have booked Prime Time Shuttle in a shared van for our November Cruise. The quoted price is $32 for 2 people, 4 bags & 2 carry ons. Tips will be extra. We will be travelling from LAX to the Westin in Long Beach on a Friday afternoon. I think the distance is about 25 miles. I found this service on the LAX website.

In my research I found out that taxis are very hard to come by and very expensive in LA. Traffic is horrible and traffic jams are the norm. You have probably seen how the taxi meter keeps ticking wether the taxi is moving or not. To top it off you then have to worry wether the taxi driver will take you the looooong way or not.

The X Shuttle may be the way to go if you are arriving in LA the same day as your cruise and the connection is tight. Supposedly the ship will wait for you if their transportation is delayed.

I hope this helps you.

Happy Travels

Cindy

I just checked with primetime shuttle- to Lax from the pier and the price was $34.41 for 2 with 3 pieces of luggage.That is a lot cheaper than Karmel which quoted me $70.50 for the 2 of us.My thanks to eveyone who has given this great info.:)

Archived