china shopping

smelkin

Just heard a rumor that China is "cracking down" on departures with knockoff garments/items/ etc. Apparently, they allegedly confiscated the fakes before allowing departure from the country??!!

Can anyone verify/ hopefully refute such a rumor???

steve

Yes, China is cracking down and so is US customs. China just shut down the "knock off" market in Shanghai and has moved out a lot of vendors in Beijing. The original mfg's have really put pressure on China about the knock offs and China is trying to "put on a happy face" for the world in anticipation of the 2008 Olympics.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060630/od_nm/china_market_dc_1

well. I am Chinese, and my western friends and I were actually watch the government "cracking down" the market-Xingyang Market. but you always can find a place to buy what you want. LV. MONTBLOC. CUCCI, PRADA. etc...

well. I am Chinese, and my western friends and I were actually watch the government "cracking down" the market-Xingyang Market. but you always can find a place to buy what you want. LV. MONTBLOC. CUCCI, PRADA. etc...

Why do you think it is OK for China to be ripping off someone else's merchandise design, intellectual property and copyrights? It is TOTALLY wrong. The DVD and CD thing has gotten out of hand in SE Asia. Thank goodness, US customs is cracking down.

Just returned from SE Asia a couple months ago and US Customs in Los Angeles was taking stacks and stacks of CD's and DVD's away from quite a few backpackers. Watched a lady get her 4 purses confiscated, too. It's about time.

Americans, especially, love bargains. They want what their neighbor has, but at half the cost. Bootlegging has been around forever and it isn't going to stop unless the demand goes away. I don't shop labels and we were given special instructions from customs when we were registering our computer and camera with them. They don't want rip-off in the country and we have no intention of buying them, but others will and do go out of their way for that $5 Rolex or $3 Prada

China can crack down, but what about the rest of the world? Unless the change is global, it won't go away.

Charlie

...as I haven't been back. I am almost embarrassed to say that I bought approximately 10 knock-off purses, three brief cases (which included one that was a total waste...lasing all of 2 weeks) golf clubs, and several shirts for hubby...and luggage. BTW, I had no problems with customs in NYC where we passed them on the way to Boston. You must decide for yourself whether you think it is moral to buy these goods. My conscience seems to still be intact, but it is by no means proud. (hehe, although I love my purchases, and would have NEVER spent 1/10 of the amount for the real things!)

• 7 months later...

Just read this on an internet site. I believe the market has been moved into the Shanghai Science & Technology centre.

Hi, so where is the replacement for the fabulous xiangyang market?

Posted by: judy on October 21, 2006 10:06 PM

guys...thanks a lot..u made my day...

it's very easy actually to go there...just take the line 2 metro heading to pudong...u will find signs to shanghai science and technology center...just go upstairs u will find them calling 4 u actually

Archived