Locanda Orseolo

Calling all Locanda Orseolo fans - I know you're out there :). It's because of all your rave reviews that I booked this inn for one night post-cruise in August.

My question(s) involves getting to the LO from the ship, and then from LO to the airport (hauling luggage on both trips). What are all of my options and the pros and cons of each for both of these jaunts (cost, timing, feasibility, etc.)? I'm trying to figure out the best (and most cost-effective) option.

Thanks in advance! Cannot wait to experience the Locanda Orseolo!

We paid water taxi rates of 90 for thew airport trip and 70 for the ship - hotel trip. Quick, easy and very special for the time spent in Venice. You could use the public transportation, but we felt with the luggage it was easier and more expedicious to use the water taxis. You might find other passengers from your sup there to share the cost. Email Bruno and get his imput.

For those of you who didn't take the ship's tours what time were you allowed to board the tenders?

What time did you actually get to Villefranche?

What time did you need to be back to Villefranche to get on a tender to return to the ship?

Thank you!

Hi

Sorry about the previous post-that sure ended up in the wrong place!

You can get a transfer (20 minutes for 5E pp) from the Marittima port to St. Mark's Square. It's a short distance to the hotel from St. Mark's Square and we managed without too much difficulty with 3 suitcases on wheels. To return to the airport, you can go back to St. Mark's Square and take the Aliguna transfer to the airport (10E pp-about a 45 minute ride.)

Thanks so much for your responses - these are very helpful. I'm looking for as much of a cost effective option as I can, without sacrificing too much time since we'll have so little in this amazing city.

Great idea to email Bruno - I'll do just that.

Thanks again!

[quote

My question(s) involves getting to the LO from the ship, and then from LO to the airport (hauling luggage on both trips). What are all of my options and the pros and cons of each for both of these jaunts (cost, timing, feasibility, etc.)? I'm trying to figure out the best (and most cost-effective) option.

Thanks in advance! Cannot wait to experience the Locanda Orseolo!

We went the long way from the airport to LO via Aliluguna (about 2 hours) but from LO to the ship, we shared a watertaxi with another couple - 35Euros each couple and got there within 20-30 minutes. We even exited LO through a large window into the water taxi!

The people at LO, Barbara, Francisco, Matteo are super people - try the chocolate crepes!

We're staying at the Hotel Manin for two days pre-cruise in August.

Here's what I plan on doing:

Shuttle (land) from the airport to Piazzele Roma. Check nearly ALL the baggage at the depot, which I understand is 5e per bag per day. From the depot, take the #1 vappretto with just one small roller and a cosmetics bag. On cruise day, pick up the luggage at the Piazzale Roma and the shuttle to the docks. The directions as to where the luagge storage place is are as follows:

"It is right in the parking garage at Piazza Roma. When you are at the Piazza and have your back to the park with the canal on your right it is in about 15 feet in from the left corner of the building."

We just returned this week from Locando Orseolo. We did not do it the most cost effective way (water taxi), but it was the only way for our family of 5 with 7 checked bags and lots of backpacks, etc. Not far at all from San Marco, but slightly confusing the first time. The hotel is not marked at all.. no where. You have to open up an iron gate to go into a courtyard and even in there it is not marked. Absolutely great though.

We stayed at the LO in May off of the Millenium. We took a water taxi that was somewhat difficult to get early in the morning. However, one came and dropped off someone and we grabbed it. That was the best way to get to the LO. From the LO to airport we took one with another family staying at the LO for a total of 8 people with luggage and that was 90 Euros total... think the Millie to LO was 50 euros for the four of us. But given it's location I think the taxi is the only way to reasonably get there with all your luggage. At the airport it's another charge from the dock to the terminal.. can't remember the charge, but a little far to drag more that one piece though the walk isn't too bad. The people at the LO are wonderful.. be sure and have their phone number just in case your taxi driver spaces out on where their access is... ours had not problem at all.

Tropic - You are right that the walk is not bad from dock to terminal, but not impossible. Maybe 5 minutes on a good sidewalk. We did it with 3 kids and 9 checked bags (return flight) and everyone had a backpack. Of course at this point in trip, I was desperate to save any money I could! We just told the porters that were trying to take our luggage to forget it. There is a shuttle right at the dock that will take you to the terminal. I heard it was free, but we didn't do it.

We went the long way from the airport to LO via Aliluguna (about 2 hours) but from LO to the ship, we shared a watertaxi with another couple - 35Euros each couple and got there within 20-30 minutes. We even exited LO through a large window into the water taxi!

The people at LO, Barbara, Francisco, Matteo are super people - try the chocolate crepes!

Tommui987 - so the trip from LO to the Venice airport with Aliguna took 2 hours! Goodness... I was contemplating using that option - as it is less expensive for two of us than a water taxi to the airport. But 2 hours seems crazy!

The information that everyone is providing is extremely useful - I appreciate your input!

A couple more specific questions:

How long is the walk from St. Marks Square to the LO?

Where can I get a transfer from the cruise terminal to St. Marks Square?

Thanks again!

I can answer part of your question. From San Marco square to LO is only about 3 minutes. Extremely short.. just got to know where you are going. Email them and ask them to explain it or try to find on prior posts. I remember it was the 2nd street on right from one particular restuarant. Go through this very small square and look for a small iron gate next to a sandwich shop. Go through the gate and into another square. The door (with no name) is on the opposite side of the square. Sounds hard, but its easy and fast.

The problem with the walk to LO is that you get off the bus a goodly distance from the square itself because of construction. You have to pull your luggage over two bridges with steps to get there and the payment is cobble in most places. The ship had a shuttle (Millie) that we used to visit town our first day, but didn't even consider it's use when we transferred from the ship to hotel the next day for the above reasons. The walk would be much longer than 3 minutes with luggage from the bus drop off point. I would think more like 15-25 minutes depending if you actually knew where you were going beforehand.

The free shuttle didn't exist anymore though it apparently did at one time... this is the one at the airport to water taxi.

We were at the LO in May 2005 and will be going again in Oct of this year.

I'll answer your questions in reverse. We came from the airport to LO, and LO to the Grand Princess.

Terminal to dock- walked, each with one 28 in case and one carry-on. My wife at that time (may 2005) was between hip operations. She had no difficulty walking. I would estimate the walk, about 10 min.

At dock - looked for and found Venezia Water Taxi. Before boarding agreed upon a price of 80 Euro. Driver placed luggage in taxi. Then off to a wonderful 30 min ride from the airport to the hotel. Through the northern canal entrance ( "Canale Delle Misericordia") to the Grand Canal. Under the Rialto Bridge down to the Rio Di S. Luca and eventually to the Rio S, Orseolo. It was quite a ride!. You may question spending 80 euro for two people to ride from point A to point B. But it probably once in a lifetime. ENJOY IT!

Hotel to ship - At the hotel let Barbara, Matteo or Francisco know the time you need to leave for the airport. They will arrange for a taxi, try to arrange one taxi for you with other guests also going to the airport.

In our case, we had two other couples going to the Grand Princess. We divided the cost (40 euro) and again back on to the Grand Canal to complete

our hotel to ship tour. Time hotel to ship about 30 min. The taxi driver loaded and unloaded all the luggage.

During our stay, we met with other guests. A few commented about using the Aliluguna transportation, the time - ride from airport to the dropoff point in front of San Marco and trying to find Locando Orseolo. But that part of the fun - the ride, going through the water window, seeing and listening to the gondola as they pass you window.

Either way you go, I'm sure you are going to enjoy Venice and Locando Orseolo.

Have a nice Trip!

Ed

We were at Locanda Orseolo in May, 2005 and will be returning in October, 2007 Did you have any problems with the water taxis not wanting to take you to LO? Bruno had told us to have the driver call us if there were any problems. They all wanted to drop us at San Marco. After they talked to Francesco, they agreed to take us to the hotel. I agree it's a wonderful way to arrive in Venice. We used the free shuttle from the terminal to the dock.

Joan

Joan - I had been warned by Bruno that we could have problems. First, I went to taxi stand in the airport terminal and asked for transportation to LO. They refused. Their comment "no one goes through the canals".

Once we arrived at the dock, I passed the Aliguna shuttle and began looking at individual water taxi's until I came upon one with Venezia Water Taxi printed on the side window. I had made a small sign with my desired destination. Their response -No problem.

Ed

Archived