Flying with a 4 yo to Europe alone

mom247

Hello all,

I am thinking of doing a week or so cruise in Europe next June. I am wondering if I need my head examined to be flying alone with a 4 yo?? I have read posts of others who have done this but it sounds like they were with someone ( I have flown 2x times with her in the US for cruises)...my dd is behaved though a creature who likes her structure and travelling throws her off the first few days, or at least it has in the past. I wish I could fly first class or biz but might need to rob a bank first.;) Thanks for any advice.

I often fly alone with my twin toddlers, though never more than four hours yet - but we're planning a trip to London next year. I think it sounds like a great adventure for the two of you. A portable DVD player does wonders (make sure you take note of the battery life) and lots of different snacks help pass the time. Even though yours may be long out of a stroller, I'd suggest bringing an inexpensive one anyway in case of long terminals or long waits - you can take the stroller all the way to the gate and it will be there for you when you get off the plane again.

Best,

Mia

You know the personality of your child but you should be perfectly fine flying to Europe with a 4 year old. I would question myself if I took my 2 year old....but a 4 year old...no problem.

We just spent 10 hours in a car yesterday...the kids stayed in their car seats the entire trip and never wanted to leave the car. They are age 2 and 6. Would I attempt that in an airplane with the 2 year old? Nope. But a 4 year old I would.

Invest in a portable DVD player. They work great for us.

I agree, by 4 you've entered a new realm. I also agree with the DVD player. I would also pack lots of (no or low sugar) snacks and drinks. Whatever might help your child snuggle down on the overnight flight over (blanket, doll, teddy, etc.) Some new things: coloring books, a new Barbie, etc. We got DS a Gameboy when he was 5. Do you think she'd be ready for one? (The novelty of it saved me on a trip to Europe when DS was 5 and DD 18 months.)

We got DS a Gameboy when he was 5. Do you think she'd be ready for one? (The novelty of it saved me on a trip to Europe when DS was 5 and DD 18 months.)

YES! That's what I was thinking but didn't know if I should suggest it. On our last cruise, our friends who also had a 4 year old at the time brought a game boy. My 4 year old and their 4 year old spent lots of time on the shuttle buses playing that thing. And it was the first thing we bought when we got home.

I can tell you from personal experience...4 year olds girls LOVE the game boy games like Disney Princess and Nemo. Two years later and my daughter still uses it on long trips.

DS is now 7 and the GameBoy is still working wonders. It helps that the ONLY time he is permitted to play with it is on long trips. When we get home and unpack, it goes in the guestroom cabinet where I keep all of our travel things, and doesn't see the light of day 'til it's time to recharge it for the next trip!

Glad to know it works for 4 year old girls, also! Will have to get DD one before our trip next spring!

DD and I flew to Italy when she was four - a great trip!

If you are on a plane with the two seats on either side of the plane and then a whole slew in-between, do whatever you have to to get seated along the sides and not in the middle!

My DD can sleep anywhere, so we did overnight flights (I can't sleep anytime so it really didn't matter to me!)

The foldable stroller worked great for us (although DD always LOVED being in her stoller anyway) - it works nicely as a portable chair and/or a single spot on which to stow luggage.

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! I never thought of the Gameboy. Will check into that. I am going to purchase a portable dvd. Love how the prices have come down on those. I was very leery of taking her with me but the comments seem positive which is reassuring. Makes me feel like I might be able to do it and not have it turn into some great fiasco

There are a lot of us that have had to fly overseas to join our military husbands with small children. The first time I did it (20 years ago!) I had a 9 mo old and 4 yr old and had never been out of the US before, what an experience! You should be fine, especially if you fly at night as we did, once we took off, the kids settled down and slept. Good luck and enjoy the trip!

Archived