Hold on Check Card?

Hey folks -

Heading out Monday on the Majesty of the Seas.

Was wondering if anyone out there knows how much RCCL will hold on my check card on check in. I will be getting paid while on board ship, and I just want to make sure that I transfer enough from savings into checking to cover what they will be holding.

I tried to do a search on this, but search is not working for me, so sorry if this is a repeat question.

Thanks!

Hey folks -

Was wondering if anyone out there knows how much RCCL will hold on my check card on check in. I will be getting paid while on board ship, and I just want to make sure that I transfer enough from savings into checking to cover what they will be holding.

I tried to do a search on this, but search is not working for me, so sorry if this is a repeat question.

Thanks!

hold? what hold? I've always used my checkcard and never had this so called "hold":confused:

Hey folks -

Thanks!

There are numerous threads about this, but when I was on Mariner, the hold was 500.00 (7 nighs)

On the sovereign it was 300.00 (4 nights)

The holds were credited about a week after we got home.. so you either need to plan for this so you can still use card in ports and pre and post cruise if you plan to drive and need gas getting home, or a hotel post cruise.. it will be a problem if you do not have at least the extra 500.00 (just in case) This is why we are traveling with travelers checks this time.:eek: Hope that helps some..

I have read also that some people never had a hold placed, so it is not consistent for some reason (as are alot of things that are not consistent from ship to ship)

Try this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=299615

No one seems to state a set amount. They say that your bank sets its own rules and limits.

Mom

I asked my bank about this and my bank ( wachovia) said they are not in charge of the holds.. the merchants set the holds as they desire :confused:

It is actually not a "hold" (or authorization) on a check card. They actually charge the 500.00 or whatever it may be. Then, at the end of the cruise, they see what you used of the money they charged your card, and the refund the difference back to you. On an actual credit card, they only put and authorization for that amount on the card, and then at the end, they 'charge' what you have spent onto the card. Either way, you will have less available credit/money on the card while on the cruise. The difference is that at the end of the cruise, they money held on the credit card in released right away, and on a check card, it takes about a week or so for the refund.

I believe for a 7 day cruise, they start with $250 per person, and add more as needed.

It is actually not a "hold" (or authorization) on a check card. They actually charge the 500.00 or whatever it may be. Then, at the end of the cruise, they see what you used of the money they charged your card, and the refund the difference back to you. On an actual credit card, they only put and authorization for that amount on the card, and then at the end, they 'charge' what you have spent onto the card. Either way, you will have less available credit/money on the card while on the cruise. The difference is that at the end of the cruise, they money held on the credit card in released right away, and on a check card, it takes about a week or so for the refund.

I believe for a 7 day cruise, they start with $250 per person, and add more as needed.

Yep.. That is exactly right.. it took a week after we got home to get the credit back

Fitz: Thank you for the information! This is going to be really helpful. I actually think that $250 is going to be more than enough as it is just myself and 3 girlfriends going on this trip -- I know that when my husband and I go on a 7 day together, our shipboard expenses usually end up being about $1000 including gambling, and my husband is a MUCH heavier gambler than me. Since I am only responsible for myself for this trip, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be okay. And since I'll be getting paid while I'm on the cruise, I am truely not worried anymore.

Thanks again -- you guys have been awesome :)

Fitz: Thank you for the information! This is going to be really helpful. I actually think that $250 is going to be more than enough as it is just myself and 3 girlfriends going on this trip -- I know that when my husband and I go on a 7 day together, our shipboard expenses usually end up being about $1000 including gambling, and my husband is a MUCH heavier gambler than me. Since I am only responsible for myself for this trip, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be okay. And since I'll be getting paid while I'm on the cruise, I am truely not worried anymore.

Before you take my word for gospel, I would check with RCI and make sure it is only $250 per person. That is what it was last time I cruise, but it could have changed. Have a great cruise!!

p.s. Don't use your bank card in certain foreign ports! You have more recourse on a credit card if freud is committed. Use cash or a regular credit card. Much harder to get the money back on a check card. Okay for cruise line, not okay for places like Mexico!

Oh, right, like four women on a four day cruise can't drink up more than $250 worth of booze! HA! ;)

Damn it, Fitz, is my memory failing me again? ISN'T that what you said you do????? :confused:

Close...I am a real estate agent. But I do have lots of experience with credit cards and check cards....I tend to shop a lot! :D

Oh, right, like four women on a four day cruise can't drink up more than $250 worth of booze! HA! ;)

HAHA! Well, that's true. ;) But I'm only responsible for my own damage there. ;)

And okay - I will give RCCL a call in the morning just to cover all of my bases.

Okay - called RCCL this morning - and they told me that they actually only get authorizations for whatever the amount is that's charged for the day - and at the end of the cruise, onlyt he amount that's authorized on a daily basis is actually charged. So... they don't hold anything in advance.

Thanks again for all of your advice :)

they just do an authorization. They don't take any money out until the end. With my card the money which shall be nameless came out 5 days later. I was thinking I got a freebie. HA RIGGGGGGHT:rolleyes:

Yeah they just authorize because when I went on my first cruise last yr, I went with only $0.50 on my checkcard till I got paid that Friday. So for the whole week I was charging whatever with only $0.50 :D . Then the next week they charged my card for whatever monies I spent. They never held anything while I was on the cruise. It was more like I was using a regular credit card until it was time for them to charge me. So you'll be ok with no money on your card, as long as it's there when they charge you lata! :rolleyes:

Close...I am a real estate agent. But I do have lots of experience with credit cards and check cards....I tend to shop a lot! :D
drat, that means that I have you mixed up with someone else...........GMoney, perhaps? :confused:

Oh well. Fitz, we MUST cruise together. Can you EVER see yourself cruising in "high season"? I teach high school, and I only get summer vacation and winter break for cruising. If I'm a very good girl (and I am, of course) I get a week-ish the last full week of January, too.

Archived