Bringing Alcohol

We are driving to our departure port of New Orleans so our luggage will not be 'checked' at an airport. I've never driven to our departure so I don't know what to expect wheeling up our own luggage or who checks where or what.... But I am bon voyaging my Vodka from Carnival and taking a bottle of Amaretto in my luggage. Carnival could not do that thru bon voyage and its very expensive to order shots of it. Anyways... do i follow what most are saying and pack in the center most part of my luggage wrapped in bubble wrap? Who will check the luggage, Carnival??

We are leaving tomorrow to get to New Orleans a day ahead so any quick responses would be greatly appreciated. Also since we aren't checkign luggage my hubby wants to try to take some beer.

Thanks everyone!

We are driving to our departure port of New Orleans so our luggage will not be 'checked' at an airport. I've never driven to our departure so I don't know what to expect wheeling up our own luggage or who checks where or what.... But I am bon voyaging my Vodka from Carnival and taking a bottle of Amaretto in my luggage. Carnival could not do that thru bon voyage and its very expensive to order shots of it. Anyways... do i follow what most are saying and pack in the center most part of my luggage wrapped in bubble wrap? Who will check the luggage, Carnival??

We are leaving tomorrow to get to New Orleans a day ahead so any quick responses would be greatly appreciated. Also since we aren't checkign luggage my hubby wants to try to take some beer.

Thanks everyone!

Bonnie:

Once you arrive at the port there will be Carnival baggage handlers that take your luggage from you as soon as you open the trunk. You should feel safe putting your liquor inside your suitcase. Be sure to have your suitcases locked and the cruise luggage tags on your bags. You will not see your luggage again until they deliver it to your cabin. Then you can park your car or whatever and walk inside the Port Terminal and you will check in. It is almost like checking into a hotel, you just give the representative your cruise documents etc.. then you go on your way. As you are walking towards the ship, you get your picture taken and then the next thing you know you are on the ship.

So if you have anything you need right away, like a swimsuit or sun lotions etc.. be sure you hand carry that on board in a tote or whatever. We put beer in the rolling ice chest we have, and it has a lock also. They take all of that with our luggage. Never had a problem with anything. Bubble wrap around the Amaretto should be fine, but I would also get one of those Hefty 2.5 Gallon Zip Lock bags and put the bottle inside that first prior to wrapping in the bubble wrap. I take one whole suitcase that has nothing but liquor in it.

Hope this helps.. have a great time.

Janet, Dallas , TX

I'm a flavored martini drinker but sometime just like vodka with 7-up. What we have done in the past is empty bottles of water and simply fill them up with vodka. Then buy a soda card and mix your own drink. We have also emptied green and red gatorade bottles and refilled them with apple martini and cosmos (everything already mixed in). I'm not sure about other cruise lines but Carnival allows you to take soda and water as carry ons. We simply put the water bottles and gatorade bottles in a carry on baggage. I've never had any problems.

Who Cares!!!! We've heard your opinion and most of us don't agree with it, thank you very much!

Frankly, I don't care why the cruise lines charge so much for drinks. I simply know that it is too expensive and I cannot afford it. Many Americans cannot afford a vacation much less having to pay for drinks as well.

I am a firm supporter of bringing liquor on board (obviously). If you're not, then don't do it and leave the rest of us alone to enjoy our cruise.

I just found premixed Margaritas IN A BOX at BevMo today. They also had Cosmos and Bloody Marys. Just thought I would share my find! It was $10 for 60 ounces in the box, I thought that was pretty good, that should be 6 - 8 drinks, depending on who is pouring :D On that note, maybe I should buy another.......;)

My brother led me to a website that helps travelers.... They actually have a plastic flask that they claim is unbreakable... I ordered it and it seems fine..... We will be cruising on Liberty on 3-25-07.....check these out. They call them Rum Runner flasks, on the packaging it says Collapsible, Durable, Reusable, Undetectable..Great for travel, cruises etc...

The site is

http://www.easytravelerinc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=205

Maria

I'm a flavored martini drinker but sometime just like vodka with 7-up. What we have done in the past is empty bottles of water and simply fill them up with vodka. Then buy a soda card and mix your own drink. We have also emptied green and red gatorade bottles and refilled them with apple martini and cosmos (everything already mixed in). I'm not sure about other cruise lines but Carnival allows you to take soda and water as carry ons. We simply put the water bottles and gatorade bottles in a carry on baggage. I've never had any problems.

YUMMY!

My concern is that don't the checked luggage bags go through x-ray machines also :confused: So wouldn't the shapes of the containers stand out even if they were stuck in socks in pant legs wrapped in towels? I wonder how detailed the machines are? I would think they are on to all of this hiding, we are going on RCI soon and I want to so bad, but I'm afraid of getting sent to the bad room :o Anyone back from a trip this year 2007 you can report on, especially RCI? I know my DH and I will spend a fortune at the bar, but in the room it is nice to enjoy. Any advice? I'd love to bring a box of wine!

Thank you!

i just ordered 4 dierct from rumrunnerflasks.com :)

We took Rum Runners flasks on our Costa cruise. We put them in DH's sneakers and they were just fine. I actually put a couple small ones in my shoes too and they worked great. :cool: :D

my boss just got back last week from a cruise and they brought a box of wine and a couple of bottles on board without any problems! Just wrapped them in some bubble wrap in case they got broken and a towel. I think it is just luck of the draw if you get caught. We decided that with all the luggage on the ships that they can't screen everything that close or you would never get out of port.

My concern is that don't the checked luggage bags go through x-ray machines also :confused: So wouldn't the shapes of the containers stand out even if they were stuck in socks in pant legs wrapped in towels? I wonder how detailed the machines are? I would think they are on to all of this hiding, we are going on RCI soon and I want to so bad, but I'm afraid of getting sent to the bad room :o Anyone back from a trip this year 2007 you can report on, especially RCI? I know my DH and I will spend a fortune at the bar, but in the room it is nice to enjoy. Any advice? I'd love to bring a box of wine!

Thank you!

The box will only show as a box of some sort. Shapes are discernable and yes, containers would stick out. There are so many threads on this that I would be afraid to pack the original bottles, plastic or not! We fill water bottles when we hit port and have brought on liquor that was not confiscated. I, too, went over to rumrunner. Since they're clear, they won't show.

Well looks like my next stop is Rum Runners :) Should we buy in Galveston on Saturday/Sunday or fill them here in Michigan? Do they Wal-Marts or CVS's in Galveston? I heard some cities are "dry" don/t really know what that means :confused: , I know here in MI no alcohol before noon on Sundays, is that the case in Texas?? Thanks once again for coming through, I LOVE this site! Yeah 14 more days! Time to go tan :D

Lori

Well looks like my next stop is Rum Runners :) Should we buy in Galveston on Saturday/Sunday or fill them here in Michigan? Do they Wal-Marts or CVS's in Galveston? I heard some cities are "dry" don/t really know what that means :confused: , I know here in MI no alcohol before noon on Sundays, is that the case in Texas?? Thanks once again for coming through, I LOVE this site! Yeah 14 more days! Time to go tan :D

Lori

I didn't know you could purchase Rum Runners in a store. I did mine through their website. Or did you mean purchase the liquor in Galveston :confused:

<slow brain today - I'm thinking of sitting out and getting a few rays myself :)

I didn't know you could purchase Rum Runners in a store. I did mine through their website. Or did you mean purchase the liquor in Galveston :confused:

<slow brain today - I'm thinking of sitting out and getting a few rays myself :)

They meant liquor! If you're flying, pack it!

Your right Julie, I did mean buy the liquor at home or in Galveston and I did order the flasks at the site! I got a email they already sent them today :) So now all we do is wait, I would definately go tan, especially going in the middle of the ocean, last thing you want to do is burn :(

Lori

Lori

Hi, Lori- Galveston is not dry and there's a Wal-Mart and several CVSs, but you can't buy liquor in grocery stores or drug stores here in Texas. You can only buy beer and wine in grocery stores or drug stores/convenience stores, and liquor from liquor stores. Liquor stores aren't open on Sunday and you can't buy beer or wine before noon on Sunday. Don't worry- liquor stores are in every strip center so you won't have to look too hard to find one. If you are coming into Galveston on Saturday there's a Spec's (local chain with good prices) just off I-45 in the Clear Lake area. Exit NASA Road One, stay on the feeder road, and it will be just on your right after the overpass in the parking lot of a large strip center. You can then get right back on the southbound side of the freeway with no problem.

I don't think anyone has answered the questions about airlines but the only restrictions there are that you can't bring alcohol onboard; it must be checked. I've taken wine home from Napa, Kahlua and Tequila home from Mexico, etc. with no problem in my checked luggage. It just can't be in your carry-ons after the scare last August that forced the TSA to crack down on liquids.

As for those who are so sanctimonious about carrying alcohol onboard, that's truly your right to feel that way but no one is breaking a law here. We are simply beating an unfair system. The cruiselines have imposed these rules for their own benefit. If we didn't bring alcohol onboard we simply wouldn't drink it at all; therefore the cruiseline isn't losing any money on us if we don't pay their outrageous alcohol prices.

And for those who say don't worry about a few pennies, well, in today's economy we have to watch every cent to be able to do things like cruise. I'm glad you don't have to worry about money but we live in the real world and paying $10 for a drink would actually ruin the enjoyment of my vacation.

Can't wait to try out those rum runner flasks!! Hope you all enjoy your cruises!!

Thanks Rainysundays for all your valuable info! I wrote everything down for our drive from Bush airport. I feel like you about bringing it on board with us, if we get busted oh well it sounds like a 50/50 chance, like you said I'm trying to save some money, I know we'll be spending money on drinks all day at the pool, bar, excursions etc. but its nice to have a drink in the room. I know this is a hot topic and there are people for and against it, but when you look on RCI's website and see a inexpensive bottle of White Zinfendel that you can buy for $6.00 at the store and it's almost $30.00 on the ship that's crazy to me to at least not to try to bring a little on when the stores are right there. I'm not hurting anyone doing this and if anything our cabin steward will benefit from the large tip we will give him to keep it iced :) , so thanks again for the tips and for the rum runner site, I should expect them this week!

Does anybody know if there are any rules against walking on board with an open container (water bottle, for instance) upon embarkation? You know, like the airlines now have...?

Second, does anybody know if the "bladders" in those casks, aka boxed wine are refillable? Has anybody ever had to pay a corkage fee for these? How much for a box that held more than the standard 750 ml?

We are on an NCL cruise this May and I understand that they are very diligint in looking for smugglers. I was on an NCL cruise out of Miami about 5 yrs ago and smuggled in loads of coconut rum in water bottles. Sounds too risky to attempt now. Wouldn't want to lose my hooch! lol

Thanks for any responses!

I just got my flasks, I LOVE them! I ordered them on 3-10 and just paid $2.95 standard shipping and got them in the mail today, what service!! They are awesome! I have many of those wine boxes flowerchild and they are not refillable if you mean the ones you buy at the store (Meijers, Walgreens, grocery stores etc) But they hold at least 3 bottles of wine in one box, great value in my opinion :) I just hope these flasks pass through! Anyone have bad luck with them :confused:

Thanks

Archived