Bringing Alcohol

I placed Rum in Listerine bottles.This is of course after being washed out a bit. It looks the same. This is a old trick from my high school days.

OMG we tried that last year and it was absoloutely the worst tasting alcohol ever. I cleaned it several times and let it air dry etc..... but I about puked when I made myself a mixed drink lol needless to say we had to throw it out.

The box will only show as a box of some sort. Shapes are discernable and yes, containers would stick out. There are so many threads on this that I would be afraid to pack the original bottles, plastic or not! We fill water bottles when we hit port and have brought on liquor that was not confiscated. I, too, went over to rumrunner. Since they're clear, they won't show.

I just found out that my liquor store now has very good French "bags of wine" available. These are like boxed wined but without the box.

The French have been losing a lot of money in the wine industry due to serious competition from such as California, Chile, Spain, Australia and other countries who now produce excellent wines at lesser prices. In order to revamp their image, they are now marketing their wines in new containers such as tetra packs, funny shaped bottles and the latest arrival "wine bags". One can no longer judge a wine by its container (unless its a vintage wine) and I consider it snobism to look down on boxed wine. I am French muself and believe it or not many French people drink boxed wine not because they dont know wine but because they are capable or recognizing a decent wine even if it comes from a box.

Anyway. I will be sailing on NCL from NY next week and am planning to try to sneak in a couple of bags or boxes of wine . Does anyone know if the Xray machine will detect the box? What if I remove the box and simply keep the wine pouch? How will this show up on the xray.

As anyone ever been caught sneaking in boxed wine on NCL.:confused: :confused:

I just found out that my liquor store now has very good French "bags of wine" available. These are like boxed wined but without the box.

The French have been losing a lot of money in the wine industry due to serious competition from such as California, Chile, Spain, Australia and other countries who now produce excellent wines at lesser prices. In order to revamp their image, they are now marketing their wines in new containers such as tetra packs, funny shaped bottles and the latest arrival "wine bags". One can no longer judge a wine by its container (unless its a vintage wine) and I consider it snobism to look down on boxed wine. I am French muself and believe it or not many French people drink boxed wine not because they dont know wine but because they are capable or recognizing a decent wine even if it comes from a box.

Anyway. I will be sailing on NCL from NY next week and am planning to try to sneak in a couple of bags or boxes of wine . Does anyone know if the Xray machine will detect the box? What if I remove the box and simply keep the wine pouch? How will this show up on the xray.

As anyone ever been caught sneaking in boxed wine on NCL.:confused: :confused:

I would discard the box as well. Don't think you'll have any problems though. Please let us know how it goes! Have a great cruise!

For those who have left from San Juan...

Did you purchase alcohol at the airport or on the way to the port?

When we did the Destiny out of San Juan..... When you are in line waiting to get on the ship there is a duty free store inside the port, where you can purchase liquor.. you can take these directly to your cabin, Carnival told us whatever we could carry on, we can take in....the duty free shop is upstairs, we bought I think between 5 adults, 7 bottles of Rum, Tequilla, etc.... I love that port!!!! That was April of 2006... hope it is still there..

Maria

OMG ! I love that cooler !

checked out that link too ... might have to get me one of them babies !

:D

Oh yes.. get one of these coolers.. Our room attendant keeps it stocked full of ice for us. We take our mixed drinks up on deck in our ice chest when we lay out by the pool. I never go anywhere without it when we are on land either. When I check it in at the airport I have items in it like sun tan lotion, cosmetics.. binoculars.. .all the NICK KNACK stuff...

Best to you!

Hello everyone... Here is how it went down for us. We drove from Memphis to New Oreans for our Saturday (03/10) departure. I'll admit I did panic last minute and ordered a liter bottle of Vodka and 1 liter bottle of Amaretto from Carnival's bon voyage department. It cost me $80 BUT I think that was fair enough for the piece of mind plus the leftovers came home to stock up. Yes I did have leftovers! My husband got one of the coolers very similar to the one here in this thread that Janet mentioned. He loaded it with beer, OJ, sodas and bottled water.... We arrived, the carnival people took luggage straight from the vehicle. We checked the luggage but wheeled the cooler right on board. They opened it but didn't feel like rummaging around (beer was at the bottom of the ice). Upon departure we took our own luggage off the boat with the leftover opened bottles of liquor in zip locks and got in our car. If I had it to do all over again, I would take my chances and pack my own liquor in their original bottles. I didn't hear any word of any being taken away from people.

LOL, Yay! I was lonley for a thread like this!!! ;)

We always smuggle! We usually plan a detour into our travel to the ship (after we land at our destination airport) to stop by the liquor store and purchase.

We always pack in original containers. We have never transferred the liquor to another bottle. We slip the bottle up the leg of a pair of jeans and make sure it is dead center in the suitcase.

Always hand this type of luggage to the porter as your carry on's are going to get x-rayed. And always tip your porter extra because these types of bags tend to be extra heavy!

Also good to try to slip a piece of duct tape around the cap and mouth of the bottle to aid in the prevention of liquor leakage. :eek:

We have never had a problem.

Happy Sailing!!!

Ok, I just want to make sure I have this right. The luggage that the porter takes doesn't get xrayed? Only your carry on?

except for my dad, who happened to put his in his carry-on. He was stopped at the x-ray, the bottle taken out, and they kept it :(. It was in the original bottle. Can you believe they didn't even offer to let us drink it before they confiscated it!?!?

Good one! That got a chuckle out of me:)

Hello everyone... Here is how it went down for us. We drove from Memphis to New Oreans for our Saturday (03/10) departure. I'll admit I did panic last minute and ordered a liter bottle of Vodka and 1 liter bottle of Amaretto from Carnival's bon voyage department. It cost me $80 BUT I think that was fair enough for the piece of mind plus the leftovers came home to stock up. Yes I did have leftovers! My husband got one of the coolers very similar to the one here in this thread that Janet mentioned. He loaded it with beer, OJ, sodas and bottled water.... We arrived, the carnival people took luggage straight from the vehicle. We checked the luggage but wheeled the cooler right on board. They opened it but didn't feel like rummaging around (beer was at the bottom of the ice). Upon departure we took our own luggage off the boat with the leftover opened bottles of liquor in zip locks and got in our car. If I had it to do all over again, I would take my chances and pack my own liquor in their original bottles. I didn't hear any word of any being taken away from people.

Bonnie:

I am so glad you had a fun cruise. Also glad the liquor experience worked out for you. I have to admit these little rolling ice chests are "Da Bomb Diggity".. I am looking forward to our cruise in a few weeks. You'd laugh so hard if you saw everything I am taking that is related to alcohol.... HA HA HA

Janet

except for my dad, who happened to put his in his carry-on. He was stopped at the x-ray, the bottle taken out, and they kept it :(. It was in the original bottle. Can you believe they didn't even offer to let us drink it before they confiscated it!?!?

Noo! Don't take the chance of putting liquor in your carry-ons. Place it with your checked luggage.

So sorry he didn't get to have a chance to drink it. Can you imagine what they do with all their confiscated bottles?? LOL

Janet

Noo! Don't take the chance of putting liquor in your carry-ons. Place it with your checked luggage.

So sorry he didn't get to have a chance to drink it. Can you imagine what they do with all their confiscated bottles?? LOL

Janet

You mean your allowed to bring the roll on in your thread you have filled with booze :confused: How in the heck do you do it?? It seems people are getting it taken from them! I bought the rum runners flasks and now am terrified to bring those filled with me! Have you ever been on Rhapsody out of Galveston? I did go ahead and ordered the wine package RCI offered out of fear :o But just in case I get adventurous because I have them, what would you recommend? We leave in 3 days :D Any advise?

Hi Lori:

My "Rolling Ice Chest" is filled with things they don't care about like water, juice, pepsi, sprite, beer, Red Bull.. cups, etc. I can either roll that right on board with me or I can check it in with my luggage. I check that ice chest in with my checked luggage only because I just don't like to mess with it. It has its own cabin tag on it. I lock it up too and I don't have ice in it. The room attendant will fill it with ice for me after it arrives to the cabin.

My liquor is wrapped up inside my suitcase. I first put the bottle in a Hefty 2.5 gal zip lock bag and then I wrap bubble wrap around that and place it inside the middle of my suitcase. I have also heard of others who pack their wrapped bottles inside the legs of their jeans in their suitcase just to keep it from moving around. I do not take any kind of liquor on board myself, again , I repeat, it is in my checked luggage that they take from me once we get to the port. I have never gotten the rum runner flasks, my Canadian Club Whisky comes in its own plastic bottle, so I just keep it sealed and off we go.

I have cruised out of Galveston before and never had a problem bringing my liquor in my checked luggage.

Hope you have an enjoyable cruise and find us when you get back and tell us how you did. Write me if you have more questions.

Janet

Hi Janet, OK I understand to NOT bring on carry on but the checked bags, but it seems as I've read on threads they are getting called down to the "Bad Room" won't it show up in the x-ray?? I would love to try but am nervous! It seems everyone is getting it confiscated :( I didn't even think you could bring water bottles! This is our first cruise so thats why I am so cautious, but I would love to throw caution to the wind and live a little dangerously :D Any encouragement??

I will be buying a rolling cooler for me case of Red Bull! I will be making a fake floor for my 2 cases of beer! I'm also bringing a bottle og Captain's Private stock and a bottle of Citron Grey Goose! I leave in 45 days and will report back...

FYI my first post YAY!!!!!:)

I will be buying a rolling cooler for me case of Red Bull! I will be making a fake floor for my 2 cases of beer! I'm also bringing a bottle og Captain's Private stock and a bottle of Citron Grey Goose! I leave in 45 days and will report back...

FYI my first post YAY!!!!!:)

From one newbie to another, congrats on your first post! You'll get addicted this site, I am :p I did buy the rum runner flasks but worried about the checked luggage getting scanned- Don't know what to do :confused:

My brother led me to a website that helps travelers.... They actually have a plastic flask that they claim is unbreakable... I ordered it and it seems fine..... We will be cruising on Liberty on 3-25-07.....check these out. They call them Rum Runner flasks, on the packaging it says Collapsible, Durable, Reusable, Undetectable..Great for travel, cruises etc...

The site is

http://www.easytravelerinc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=205

Maria

They are actually selling alcohol now in containers that look very similar to these...They are called Pocket Shots. I remember seeing it on the news because MADD was blasting the manufactures for directing their marketing to a younger (underage) crowd.. Little do they know they should be directing their advertising to the older cruising folks...:rolleyes:

http://www.pocketshot.net/pocketshot.php

Hi Janet, OK I understand to NOT bring on carry on but the checked bags, but it seems as I've read on threads they are getting called down to the "Bad Room" won't it show up in the x-ray?? I would love to try but am nervous! It seems everyone is getting it confiscated :( I didn't even think you could bring water bottles! This is our first cruise so thats why I am so cautious, but I would love to throw caution to the wind and live a little dangerously :D Any encouragement??

So what if you were called to the BAD ROOM?? It is well worth the risk and they won't make you walk the plank. However, I really don't think that would happen.

When you get to the port by whatever transportation you are taking there are people waiting for you that take your luggage from you immediately. (Please let me get out of the car first... IT IS THAT FAST!) It isn't like an airport where you walk in with all your luggage. So you will hand off your luggage right away. I can't say for sure if it is scanned or not. I have never been on a Princess Cruise. Just think; there are thousands of pieces of luggage that the crew has to get on board, sort through and deliver to the cabins. Once you hand off your luggage, they put it in a big crate and haul them onto the ship with a fork lift. I can't imagine that they could take the time to scan each piece of luggage and then take the time to move it to the BAD ROOM. That would surely take forever, plus there are so many booze smugglers these days, I would say that over 50% of the luggage would have to be turned into the BAD ROOM.

Trust me, it will work out fine. I can't wait to hear from you when you get back. Don't worry... I remember being nervous on my first cruise about bringing the liquor. Now... I bring double!! I could open up a store! :-)

Janet

Archived