Bringing Alcohol

Ohh the rum runner flasks are a great idea... I think I'll order some of those.

We went on a Disney cruise last month and they could care less about bringing alcohol on board. We took a rolling cooler through security with an 18 pack of beer, large bottle of Crown and some Red Bull. They unzipped it, closed it back, put in through the scanner and off we went.

Now in April, we will be sailing on Royal Caribbean and I don't think it will be that easy. We're going to try though! I'd rather invest in a soda card and pour my own liquor in there and save lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Just two quick questions: What happens if they find your "smuggled" alcohol? Do they just take it and then give it back to you at the end of the trip. Because I saw somewhere that they may kick you off the ship or not let you on! We are sailing on NCL Dream... Just wondering if that is true or not before I try! And also I was wondering about the water bottle 6-pack thing, did you put the bottles back into the plastic wrap like they have never been taken out? And if so how did you do that?! Thanks :)

I get a kick out of all the people trying to save a couple of bucks on their drinks. I only go on vacation once a year, usually a cruise, and I just relax and enjoy myself. If the price of the drinks bother me I don't drink them. Have a good time and don't count the pennys. You'll enjoy yourself more. By the way I'm a senior on S.S. and not rich by any way.

Proabition was voted down as far as I know, so as long as a person is not trying to carry on the whole bar to each his own. Life is a choice and those who are offended by a choice some of us make need to get over it. While I'm not a heavy drinker I do enjoy having a cocktail in my stateroom without calling room service, so..I will bring my own.:rolleyes: I always do and so far I have never had a problem.

Ohh the rum runner flasks are a great idea... I think I'll order some of those.

We used them on our recent Costa cruise and they worked great!

We don't really take our own Alcohol to save $$, we just like a drink in our room now and then. We started taking one to dinner after the first night when it took over 45 minutes to get a drink! :eek:

We have found the best deal for beer on Carnival is to get a Foster's oil can (25oz) and ask for 2 glasses. With the 15% added it is $6 total and you are getting 2 12 oz import beers.:)

I think a bucket of 16 oz imports of domestics is $17 on Carnival. We also picked up some from the ports and had no trouble getting it on.

We used them on our recent Costa cruise and they worked great!

We don't really take our own Alcohol to save $$, we just like a drink in our room now and then. We started taking one to dinner after the first night when it took over 45 minutes to get a drink! :eek:

Did you put the rum runner flasks in your checked luggage or carry-ons? Thanks!

We have also always brought our own liquor and pack it in the plastic bottles it comes in and I get those Hefty 2.5 gal zip lock bags. I put each bottle into a zip lock and seal it and then wrap the bottle with a towel or something to cushion it in the suitcase. This is all taken in my checked luggage. One of those smaller carry on suitcases is generally what I use and I fill it up with liquor. No glass bottles!! I lock the suitcase before we get to the Port.

Then I also get a big plastic bottle of cranberry juice and other type mixers and bring those also. I will wheel those items right on board. No worries... Don't forget to pack extra plastic cups as the small glasses in your cabin tend to get used up. I am even planning on bringing my little Magic Bullet Mixer and we will be having Margarita's and Daiquiries on the balcony.

We have also taken a case of Red Bull onto the ship and just walked on with it. I heard of one group of cruisers who carried on three cases of Corona.

Oh and I forgot.. I have one of those small rolling ice chests. It looks like a piece of luggage. We take that and our room attendants have always wheeled it down to the ice machine and kept it full of ice for us each day.

Because we always have a large group of cruisers with us when we cruise I also bring nuts, crackers, cheese in the can, beef jerky and other items that we can snack on if we want.

Yes... we have a great time!

We have also always brought our own liquor and pack it in the plastic bottles it comes in and I get those Hefty 2.5 gal zip lock bags. I put each bottle into a zip lock and seal it and then wrap the bottle with a towel or something to cushion it in the suitcase. This is all taken in my checked luggage. One of those smaller carry on suitcases is generally what I use and I fill it up with liquor. No glass bottles!! I lock the suitcase before we get to the Port.

Then I also get a big plastic bottle of cranberry juice and other type mixers and bring those also. I will wheel those items right on board. No worries... Don't forget to pack extra plastic cups as the small glasses in your cabin tend to get used up. I am even planning on bringing my little Magic Bullet Mixer and we will be having Margarita's and Daiquiries on the balcony.

We have also taken a case of Red Bull onto the ship and just walked on with it. I heard of one group of cruisers who carried on three cases of Corona.

Oh and I forgot.. I have one of those small rolling ice chests. It looks like a piece of luggage. We take that and our room attendants have always wheeled it down to the ice machine and kept it full of ice for us each day.

Because we always have a large group of cruisers with us when we cruise I also bring nuts, crackers, cheese in the can, beef jerky and other items that we can snack on if we want.

Yes... we have a great time!

yeah man. sneaking about 4 12 packs and 2 half gallons in my bag. should be fun:DOnly problem I have is seeing what beers carnival is serving so I wont look so cheap. I heard they had 12 pack coors 12 ounces if so I see coors is on sale at the local harris teeter for 6.99 Now thats 30 dollars for 48 beers thats a deal considering if i ordered 48 beers which i WOULD on the cruise that would cost me 192 dollars. talk about saving over 160 bucks wowwwwwwww

Hi All,

I have always taken liquor on board when I have cruised. I usally take vodka and put it in clear water bottles, seal the tops with heavy duty packing clear tape, wrap in bubble wrap and then put the bottles in 2 gallon plastic bags. I have also take cranberry juice on board in the blue Propel Bottles. It is just nice to sit and relax in your cabin with a drink. Don't get me wrong I am a sucker for the "drink of the day".

Does anyone know how strict NCL is on their alochol policy. I have cruised, RC, Carnival & Princess with no problem. Have heard thru the grapevine NCL is very strict.

Also has anyone heard of NCL offering drink coupons which may be purchased ahead of time? I know RC used to have them as did Carnival.

Hello,

We have a group of 8 women cruising on the Celebration at the end of March. Most of us are beer drinkers. What is the best way to smuggle beer. I am hoping to be able to pack atleast a case of cans.

I would appreciate any advice on how others have packed beer.

I'm just concerned about the air pressure change causing the bag to burst. I've bought chardonnay...a bit fearful to try red!!!

DH's frat bros swear these are indestructible as they used to play football with them in college!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(PS no flames about "boxed" wine...I've actually researched for "better" boxed wines--believe it or not, some have actually won awards in the "wine world"!)

I'm just concerned about the air pressure change causing the bag to burst. I've bought chardonnay...a bit fearful to try red!!!

DH's frat bros swear these are indestructible as they used to play football with them in college!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(PS no flames about "boxed" wine...I've actually researched for "better" boxed wines--believe it or not, some have actually won awards in the "wine world"!)

You are in luck.

1- the cargo holds on planes are pressurized.

2- the "good" box wimes (now being advertized nationally as casks) are 3 liters.

3- three liter boxes fit into two gallon ziplock bags.

Good idea going with a pinot grigo rather than pinot noir :).

Hello,

We have a group of 8 women cruising on the Celebration at the end of March. Most of us are beer drinkers. What is the best way to smuggle beer. I am hoping to be able to pack atleast a case of cans.

I would appreciate any advice on how others have packed beer.

SPIRITLI -

I cut and pasted this for you. This posting is from somone who just got off a Feb Cruise. Should help ease your mind a bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

beachpeach1

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Jan 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We just got off the Caribbean Princess yesterday. We carried 2 12-packs onboard in our wheelie luggage and nothing was said at all. In fact, we hada 12-pack of Corona left over, and I packed in carefully in my suitcase (still in the cardboard box) and it made it home safely on the plane---will enjoy a cold one tonight!

Carribean Princess 2/07

Star Princess 2/05

Veendam 2/02

Dawn Princess 2/00

Mardi Gras 11/90

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps!

Janet

Thank you, Janet.

That does help, They said they packed it in their wheelie luggage, which I have. I wonder if they checked it or just rolled it on with them?

I'm sure going to give it a shot.

Thanks again,

Lisa

We buy the little "airplane" bottles at one of the larger liquor stores. Most of them are plastic now and we just put them in a ziploc and in our checked bags. No problems. My husband buys 12 little bottles of Dewars for around $30 - costs more than a larger bottle but about half of the ship prices. And we buy the premixed Mudslides and Margaritas in small bottles, too. We still spend alot on liquor on the ship but its nice to have some in the cabin for a drink on the balcony. I agree that if the cruise lines would lower their liquor prices, they would sell more drinks, therefore, make more money.

We buy the little "airplane" bottles at one of the larger liquor stores. Most of them are plastic now and we just put them in a ziploc and in our checked bags. No problems. My husband buys 12 little bottles of Dewars for around $30 - costs more than a larger bottle but about half of the ship prices. And we buy the premixed Mudslides and Margaritas in small bottles, too. We still spend alot on liquor on the ship but its nice to have some in the cabin for a drink on the balcony. I agree that if the cruise lines would lower their liquor prices, they would sell more drinks, therefore, make more money.

Have a good time on your cruise.. I see you are leaving in a few days.. We are from Texas also... Dallas.

Does anyone know how strict NCL is on their alochol policy. I have cruised, RC, Carnival & Princess with no problem. Have heard thru the grapevine NCL is very strict.

Also has anyone heard of NCL offering drink coupons which may be purchased ahead of time? I know RC used to have them as did Carnival.

Re: NCL

My friend just got off a NCL cruise two weeks ago. She had alcohol in a water bottle. She got caught. According to her about 50 people had to go to the "special" area to pick up their luggage without the booze. She said NCL has become very strict and was looking for smugglers.

Archived